Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Weber could live up to that contract. He was worth that AAV. The fans wanted him to stay.

We all wanted kk to stay, but not at 6.1m. He'll never be able to live that down in Montreal
His Insta is a small token of how MtlHabsfan is reacting. Kid will not go unnoticed in the streets if he stays. This is a crazy market. I mean, examples are a plenty. Go ask 92…

Reactions: Doc McKenna

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
We'd be in the same exact situation.

The usage Tkachuk gets in Ottawa, would not be the usage he'd get in MTL.

He's been a 45pt player in Ottawa...he'd be a 30-35pt player in Montreal.
I'm actually not quite sure on this, the Habs seem to have some stylistic preferences with players and I think they'd fall in love with Tkachuk's game pretty fast. Not that "the team has an irrational love for grinder play styles at the expense of developing skilled playmakers so they would properly handle this guy" is a good thing, but I do genuinely think they'd have a far longer leash with him.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
According to RDS the canes made some offers for Kotkaniemi earlier in the year. The Hurricanes want him and they say he wants to play for them. All JK really needs at this point is some freedom. He was a project, they rushed the project, and then they benched him after hindering his development. If Carolina lets him makes some mistakes he'll be fine.

Edit: Looking more and more like the habs should be working on yet another rebuild. Either that or they play JK whatever happens. let him make his mistakes and learn.

Losing KK does not suddenly kick in another rebuild.

MB last off-season got Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson, and Allen, while also extending Gallagher and Petry. This off-season, he went and got Savard, Hoffman, and Perreault. That is not the plan of a team looking to rebuild because they might lose a promising player to an offer sheet.

Reactions: tazsub3

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
According to insiders, the Canes were looking for another center and tried to trade for KK just last week. They also looked into a long term offersheet before settling with the single year overpayment* and apparently even warned the Habs about it.

That means they were planning to move a center for KK. Mostly likely Trocheck who is UFA after this season and he might have already told the Canes he was going to look at the market next summer when they inquired about an extension. And Trocheck should net more than a 1st and 3rd to the Canes via trade...

*the overpayment is the only leverage the Canes have against the Habs to avoid them matching.
this all may be true, but why all the trolling? like major amounts of trolling. was that part of the plan too.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
According to insiders, the Canes were looking for another center and tried to trade for KK just last week. They also looked into a long term offersheet before settling with the single year overpayment* and apparently even warned the Habs about it.

That means they were planning to move a center for KK. Mostly likely Trocheck who is UFA after this season and he might have already told the Canes he was going to look at the market next summer when they inquired about an extension. And Trocheck should net more than a 1st and 3rd to the Canes via trade...

*the overpayment is the only leverage the Canes have against the Habs to avoid them matching.
The order to OS came from Dundon which tells you it’s an ego and not a hockey move. Deal makes little hockey sense for canes who already have young centres to play top 6. And if they’re paying KK $6M what are they Necas next year or any other of their multiple RFAs?

Reactions: 417

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
5.5 was a lot to pay for a player you traded your blue chip prospect for, who whined and cried his way off a far better team and checked out on them multiple times.. but we did that.
Who was also a number 3 pick. That Sergechev trade stings so much. I mean drouin can never finish a season and we need a LD like Serge desperately. AND Drouin was signed to his 5.5 contract at 22 years old. But KK shouldn't be getting more than 2.5 is the consensus on this board...lol yeah OK. 3-3.5 million is breaking the bank? Could have set a president for the other rookies.

Last edited:

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
KK vs Pettersson.

An offer sheet to a young player who has not proved anything in the NHL yet may not be matched.

An offer sheet to a young player who got close to 1 PPG in his first 3 seasons in the NHL will always be matched.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The order to OS came from Dundon which tells you it’s an ego and not a hockey move. Deal makes little hockey sense for canes who already have young centres to play top 6. And if they’re paying KK $6M what are they Necas next year or any other of their multiple RFAs?
Canes tried to trade for him first so it was a hockey move. The only ego was burningbin for playing hardball again. Not to mention he started this last year and its his EGO that is doing the damage to the team, over and over. This is 2017 offseason bad again. Maybe he can dig up hemsky and ask him to play center, or maybe John Scott.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
No, because it would be two MTL 1st, likely much higher at the draft.

Offersheeting is a game the good teams play, not the lottery teams like us (we are not making the playoffs this year).

yep that is true, I did base it off the fact with Peterson I don’t think we wound be a lotto team

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm actually not quite sure on this, let's just say the Habs seem to have some stylistic preferences with players and I think they'd fall in love with Tkachuk's game pretty fast.
Debatable...Tkachuk kinda does whatever he wants on the ice because he can.

Yes we see the good...but there's alot of bad penalties/indiscipline/poor defensive performance that wouldn't fly on more competitive teams.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They can trade JK after signing him if he agrees. They probably have an offer for him and for that contract Kotkaniemi will agree to anything.

If Habs match the offer, they can't trade KK for a full calendar year. So they'd be forced to keep him for the duration of this contract.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The comments left on his Instagram page are a disgrace. He is a human being. Not sure how anyone could be mad at the kid for doing what's best for himself.

IG, Twitter and so on is always toxic and full of idiot fans who act tough behind a keyboard but would grovel to the same player for an autograph or picture.

Same bunch of losers who attacked Drouin on a personal level, allegedly targeted Shitfele’s family, etc.

Sure, criticize the hockey aspect but leave the personal shit out.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

It doesn't surprise me in the least. I don't see Waddell as someone who is out for "revenge."

Waddell is a buddy of our guy. So no revenge. And Waddell, by the looks of it, had the decency to warn Bergevin about the OS. So, not surprised by this. And I’m 100% certain Renaud’s source is from the Habs’ brass.

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
KK vs Pettersson.

An offer sheet to a young player who has not proved anything in the NHL yet can work.

An offer sheet to a young player who got close to 1 PPG in his first 3 seasons in the NHL just can't work.

The problem is that the player has to actually agree and sign the offer sheet,

I can't see Pettersson wanting to come to a rebuilding team

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Waddell is a buddy of our guy. So no revenge. And Waddell, by the looks of it, had the decency to warn Bergevin about the OS. So, not surprised by this. And I’m 100% certain Renaud’s source is from the Habs’ brass.

It’s a dangerous game when owners start to dictate what management does. Canes fans should be worried. Dundon was likely behind not wanting to pay their young goalie or Hamilton as well. Have fun with another Melnyk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad