Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
According to RDS the canes made some offers for Kotkaniemi earlier in the year. The Hurricanes want him and they say he wants to play for them. All JK really needs at this point is some freedom. He was a project, they rushed the project, and then they benched him after hindering his development. If Carolina lets him makes some mistakes he'll be fine.

Edit: Looking more and more like the habs should be working on yet another rebuild. Either that or they play JK whatever happens. let him make his mistakes and learn.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The funny part is the media playing it up and saying Canes owning Habs. If Habs don’t match (I hope) Canes are screwed. They have 4 centres and up against cap and need to sign him for $5M+ or lose him to UFA next year for nothing. I say let them choke on it and keep him. Rather have the extra first for one of the deepest drafts next year in a very long time.

According to insiders, the Canes were looking for another center and tried to trade for KK just last week. They also looked into a long term offersheet before settling with the single year overpayment* and apparently even warned the Habs about it.

That means they were planning to move a center for KK. Mostly likely Trocheck who is UFA after this season and he might have already told the Canes he was going to look at the market next summer when they inquired about an extension. And Trocheck should net more than a 1st and 3rd to the Canes via trade...

*the overpayment is the only leverage the Canes have against the Habs to avoid them matching.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I agree... but he got 7 days to pull it off and every GM knows now he's desperate.
Not going to be easy if not impossible.

But the more I think about it......the more I sign KK if no deal is possible.
We can't just be left with a thumbs up our asses and running Evans on the top 6 for the foresseable future.

It depends who the other team is and how far the trade talks had gone before the KK offer sheet. But I honestly think it doesn't matter to them. All they would care about is getting the return they want.

Let's say they're looking at Dvorak in Arizona. I doubt Bill Armstrong cares much about whether Habs will match or not. All he cares about is if he can get someone to pay what he's looking for in order to move Dvorak.

Now a team in the same division as Habs or even in the same conference, maybe they will wait him out or let him sweat a little because they're in more of a direct competition with the Habs. But even then, you don't expect a team in their division to do them any favors to begin with.

Reactions: Milhouse40

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
In hindsight, we should have taken Tkachuk.

Yes

Personally i wanted Zadina but it certainly look like Tkachuk will end up being the 2nd best forward of that draft after Svechnikov

Not sure how KK vs Zadina is gonna end up though

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Yes

Personally i wanted Zadina but it certainly look like Tkachuk will end up being the 2nd best forward of that draft after Svechnikov

Not sure how KK vs Zadina is gonna end up though
I'll take Brady over Svech everyday

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
match the 6.1 and sign him to a 4 year extension .
The last thing I want to see is KK burrying goals on Habs in the playoffs.....
Match, extend him 4 more years....then you can trade him down the road if need be.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
According to insiders, the Canes were looking for another center and tried to trade for KK just last week. They also looked into a long term offersheet before settling with the single year overpayment* and apparently even warned the Habs about it.

That means they were planning to move a center for KK. Mostly likely Trocheck who is UFA after this season and he might have already told the Canes he was going to look at the market next summer when they inquired about an extension. And Trocheck should net more than a 1st and 3rd to the Canes via trade...

*the overpayment is the only leverage the Canes have against the Habs to avoid them matching.

It's an offer sheet, you are supposed to overpay by design. If you handover a fair deal it will be matched no question asked.

Ultimately, with this gamble the Canes have more faith in KK than the Habs ever did.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Scheifele had a 34 point season in 63 games (44 point pace) in his d+3 rookie year.

Kks d+3 year? 20 points in 56 games (30 point pace)
So? My point is that theres a good chance KK will improve greatly from where he is at now seeing as he is still very young. But if your fine getting rid of him for a late 1st and a 3rd so be it. I think that would be foolish however.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Which is why I continue to believe that heading into this season with Kotkaniemi as a top 6C on this team was never *the* plan but rather plan B.

I agree this is likely. It just seemed incongruous for the Habs to go into next season with an experienced goalie duo, experienced defence core, experienced group of wingers (Caufield aside) and yet such an inexperienced center line.

Reactions: 417

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
I'll take Brady over Svech everyday

I think Svech has more offensive upside. Won't be surprised if the guy puts up a PPG in his prime. He almost did it as a 20 years old

Tkachuk will probably top as a 60pts forward but is the rugged big and mean power forward with leadership kind of guy.

So it depends on what you are looking for i guess but i can certainly see why an argument can be made in favor of Tkachuk over Svech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad