Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe not, but he doesn't have to be. Suzuki will certainly be the more offensive of the two players, but if KK can consistently put up 55-65 points, while playing solid defensively (which he has shown to be capable of) then he'd be a great player.
On the other hand, if he ends up being a 30-40 point player at his peak a first and third isn't terrible compensation. We really couldn't afford to lose him but I don't see us matching

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Again, this morning, I haven't changed my mind. I will be STUNNED in capital letters, if we don't sign him. But Bergie's ego will take note, offer JK an extension after this contract without having to qualify him....and then trade him. Yet...all this is relative to JK having a good season. If Bergevin doesn'T think JK will have a good one...he might be gone. Yet...if he had no hope in JK...why in the world do you let Danault go?

Anyway, in the Bédard-Wright-Matchkov and all those guys eras....I'm all for starting over. Completely.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
On the other hand, if he ends up being a 30-40 point player at his peak a first and third isn't terrible compensation. We really couldn't afford to lose him but I don't see us matching
He was on pace for 34 points this year with 3rd line minutes for the first half of the year. I can't see him topping out at 40.

I'd be shocked if the Habs don't match.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
he was slotted to be the number 2 Center. He was going to log minutes this year, played above average for two playoffs in a row. I think he’s more valuable than Hoffmann and Byron. I think he should be getting at least 3. Sounds like some people on this board view him like MB.

again, good for kk.
Same here. If Danault doesn't leave he is the 2.5 million center-and gets an offer sheet and leaves anyway. If he is your #2 center you expect to earn 2-3 years 3+ million. And stop adding me to all your trade talks. Or you give him 3.25 show me contract at the least. He is definitely better than our 4th liners making a lot more. If he was 20 years old and had the same season as last year, but it was his first year, we would be excited about him as a prospect.

If he was a 27 year old and put up 30-40 points he gets at least 3 million. Is he at least GOING to be as good as 3.4 million Armia who signed for 4 more years? Habs think they have all the levearge, but in reality thier precarious centre issue gave him leverage. Danault would have changed that if he had stayed, but with him gone-for nothing, we are in a corner again for centers. We were in worse shape going into the season overall. This cements it either way. I doubt the new hires will replace danault tatar and perry, nevermind weber and byron who are inured for the a chunk of the season.

Reactions: Nedved

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
MB can flash the ego in negotiations and offer sheets but he doesn't understand them and doesn't do well negotiating them. He's good at some aspects of GMing but he needs someone with some negotiating and financial skills to help him out as he keeps botching the money stuff.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So you prefer matching the offer and have KK at 6.1M because you're afraid of another 1st round pick?

I don't want to sign KK at 6.1 millions
I don't want to trade KK for that shitty return

This is why I keep saying that there's no way for the Habs to win this one and that we really got screwed either way.

If I'm Bergevin......
My first and only option is to get something to replace KK with those picks (and not an over the hill center but a young one with potential or a better one)....and I'm talking getting him in the next 7 days maximum.

If that's not possible......I really don't know but I wouldn't ruled out signing KK at that price.
If you ask me to absolutely pick one between Drouin at 5.5M and KK at 6.1M.....I prefer Kotkaniemi.

If Kotkaniemi become a 55 points center.....it's worth 6 millions.

For me those picks are worth absolutely nothing unless we get something right away for them.

So I would probobly sign KK, put him in a perfect situation next year to either keep him or trade him....and then see were we are at next season and if we end up losing him for nothing, so be it. For me those picks are worth nothing anyway. But I prefer to gamble on KK might be ebcoming a top 6 center than betting on those nothing pick which we won't see the reasult for another 3-4 years at best.

I

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I wonder if this is something negotiated in the next CBA? Offer sheets favour better teams because their picks (compensation) can be drastically less valuable than a bad team.
The league loves parity but the way offer sheets are established doesn't encourage parity.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
this is once again terrible asset management overall. just f***ing awful. regardless of what all of you project #15 to be, this is not how you build a cap-flexible, quality team which can compete regularly. it's just not. that's now a wasted year - that year we tanked for KK. losing a young asset for two mediocre picks with no backup plan (as of now) is not sensible work, it's sloppy. Bergevin should consider walking.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm more curious as to how the Habs knew this was happening and didn't react accordingly.

As is typical, there's probably alot more behind the scenes than were privy too.

But something doesn't connect here.

It does when we consider MBs body of work...

He has a well established history of poor negotiation outcomes with players he arbitrarily decides to play hardball with and publicly undermines.

Ego before execution. Par for the course.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

TheHabs BruinRipper

Mar 4, 2015
ontario
those of you that want Bergevin canned (or not re-signed), probably got your wish with this. Molson must be f***ing steaming. Bergevin needed time off in August, I get it, but letting his guard down, ignoring the Canes overtures at a trade, knowing Dundon has a history of being a f***er and hard balling KK over maybe 300K has caused this nonsense. He should've seen it coming and been more proactive. This is where bergevin's arrogance got in the way. sloppy

I do not blame the kid. KK gets 3 times his salary. I blame the GM. Tampa bay never let their top players get to RFA like this. They sign them long term. Suzuki (this year) and Caufield (next year) must be signed to long term deals to prevent offers like this. If they wanted to keep KK, he should have been signed months ago.
In my perspective, i would not sign/match KK for 6M (let Carolina choke at the end of next year). I take the picks for next years deep draft and look at market for substitute. Once season starts, we get cap relief from Weber contract

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It does when we consider MBs body of work...

He has a well established history of poor negotiation outcomes with players he arbitrarily decides to play hardball with and publicly undermines.

Ego before execution. Par for the course.
Perhaps...but it has to be more than that IMO.

You can think whatever you want about MB but there's just no way he would allow another team to set his terms in a contract negotiation.

He knew this was coming and allowed it...they're got to be a reason for it.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I do not blame the kid. KK gets 3 times his salary. I blame the GM. Tampa bay never let their top players get to RFA like this. They sign them long term. Suzuki (this year) and Caufield (next year) must be signed to long term deals to prevent offers like this. If they wanted to keep KK, he should have been signed months ago.
In my perspective, i would not sign/match KK for 6M (let Carolina choke at the end of next year). I take the picks for next years deep draft and look at market for substitute. Once season starts, we get cap relief from Weber contract
i don't blame KK one bit either . none. your plan isn't bad, but very, very speculative.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't want to sign KK at 6.1 millions
I don't want to trade KK for that shitty return

This is why I keep saying that there's no way for the Habs to win this one and that we really got screwed either way.

If I'm Bergevin......
My first and only option is to get something to replace KK with those picks (and not an over the hill center but a young one with potential or a better one)....and I'm talking getting him in the next 7 days maximum.

If that's not possible......I really don't know but I wouldn't ruled out signing KK at that price.
If you ask me to absolutely pick one between Drouin at 5.5M and KK at 6.1M.....I prefer Kotkaniemi.

If Kotkaniemi become a 55 points center.....it's worth 6 millions.

For me those picks are worth absolutely nothing unless we get something right away for them.

So I would probobly sign KK, put him in a perfect situation next year to either keep him or trade him....and then see were we are at next season and if we end up losing him for nothing, so be it. For me those picks are worth nothing anyway. But I prefer to gamble on KK might be ebcoming a top 6 center than betting on those nothing pick which we won't see the reasult for another 3-4 years at best.

I

This is the scenario I proposed in more than one thread.

If I'm MB, I'm working the phones and see if the picks they can get from Canes will help him swing a deal for a center.

If yes, I accept the compensation.

Reactions: Frenchy

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

You can think whatever you want about MB but there's just no way he would allow another team to set his terms in a contract negotiation.

i truly hope you're right, because if not this is fireable, sloppy and arrogant

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He was on pace for 34 points this year with 3rd line minutes for the first half of the year. I can't see him topping out at 40.

I'd be shocked if the Habs don't match.
Don't forget his 5goals and 3 asst in this years playoffs,when the real season happens......you pay the kid and roll on give him a multi yr extension and like Subban and Gally27 if the feelings are too hurt ,make a trade later down the road

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
It's an interesting challenge to end the summer with a positive result.
Some facts to consider before any move;

- KK , after Gallagher, would be the highest paid player. Something other players could dislike a lot. It will be the same if he plays for the Canes.

- KK with this 6,1 m$ will get a tonne of pressure on his shoulders. Fans are going to be severe with him.

- Carolina will need to offer him a QO next season to keep him and that means more than 6,1m $. If they don't , KK turns complete free agent. But the Canes could offer him a year at that price but with more seasons at a lower price.

- Bergevin could offer sheet Necas next season, because the Canes gonna be unable to match with all the big contracts they already pay

For one, i wouldn't match the offer sheet because it's a 2 seasons- not only one- monster cap eater. I also think that the fans of Montreal could really give him a hard time. I think that Bergevin could trade to get Dvorak , so Habs would get a good centre signed for +- 4,5$ m. An offer based on the 2 selections + XY could make it done. I don't think that he could get Eichel, but it still possible if the Sabres decide to going completely in a re-build process , because all the draft pics/solid prospects the Habs have in their hands

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014

They tried working out a trade and couldn't reach an agreement so he said f*** it, offersheet him and we'll move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad