Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
KK’s value in terms of hockey accomplishments is nowhere close to the aforementioned players. You do bring valuable and researched arguments. Kudos.
I agree, and it was only to illustrate after ECL possible contracts. My point is moreso that he should have been paid better than his last year 3C position. He has the leverage now with our C position looking a bit thin. He currently isn't worth 6 we all know that. And as other have mentioned habs would have matched a 4-4.5 million offer. Of course! So if they match a 4+ million offer isn't he worth more than 2.5...

I guess its like when a guy gets hitched. He could never get a date but all of a sudden every girl wants him just because some other girl has him. Perceived value can be higher or lower than actual value. As we have seen many times. Look at our drouin trade...one was considered more than his value, the other a lot less.

MB isn't very good at anything having to do with context in relation to contracts. Stat wise drouin is ahead of Sergechev for PPG-I guess its a win!! Not that one is a dman and the other an injury prone winger. But on a purely ppg basis it is in fact a win-just that any context makes that a bad trade. If we had went all in that year I was fine with the trade -but of course we didn't. Again context showing it COULD have been a win.

Reactions: dinodebino

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think it has much to do with the amount of faith the Canes have in KK. They might think he is an interesting project (which he is), but they are only offering him one year.

This is about their owner settling a score with the Habs at the expense of their own cup window.

The poison pill in this case is how this contract can mess with the Habs internal salary comparatives, and inflate the future contracts of other "cost controlled" players. It's an attack on the habs cap management structure designed to give them perpetual cap headaches even for homegrown talents.

If dundon gets KK, he gets to stroke his ego. If Montreal matches, he will take pleasure in screwing with the Habs salary cap moving forward, or potentially forcing the habs to lose him for nothing depending on how this season goes.

Definitely some of what you say is true and good points, but I do find it quite convoluted. I can't imagine CAR not really thinking this will work out for them long term.

Also I think this move is a message to the whole league about the dangers of making an offer sheet. I really think it will looked at by the NHLPA because it is making it very clear that offer sheeting is seen as a spiteful vindictive act, when from the NHLPA's point of view it should be part of a free market negotiation.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Yep, I do view him like a lot of hockey execs.

well...not Carolina. And if it’s 4 million MB immediately matches it. I would say MB but I’m not sure about the league. Press from MTL is hard to trust when you watch media questions for this team.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So basically his next contract is pretty much guaranteed to be 6.1 as well?

Not necessarily.. if the season goes well for Carolina/Montreal, then a long term deal at a different number could be reached.. and KK might be more open to making 5ish on a long term deal then hitting 6m for another year and risk being cut.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Not necessarily.. if the season goes well for Carolina/Montreal, then a long term deal at a different number could be reached.. and KK might be more open to making 5ish on a long term deal then hitting 6m for another year and risk being cut.
Alright makes sense. So they either agree to a longer term contract at whatever salary or if they don’t agree they would submit a QO at 100% of this previous years salary?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
ripping off vulnerable people
What people here forget about the Aho deal is this : Molson is not a fan of Dunton. Dunton was apparently flexing his muscles at some meetings in Boca Raton that he would NEVER pay huge bonuses like Habs were paying Price and Weber. That he was against all forms of bonuses to that extent.

Aho’s offer had bonuses attached to it. You think Molson wasn’t on it? Hell yeah! He thought Dunton would not bite. And even if he did, it would f*** up his cheapskate salary structure up his wazoo, and it did. He created a precedent for his younger players.

Dunton smell blood. Because he’s like that. So there.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This is too funny take the picks!!! Carolina basically let their hot rookie goalie + their best D walk for this wow.

KK upside is to become a Eller type, he's not even at that level yet. You don't really want the guy in he top6 no shot weak passing game and he flops around all the time.

2 1st picks in the bank to go after Eichel let's goooooo

Reactions: dinodebino

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Those are superstars who lived up to their rfa offers.

Jk is an average player making 2.5x what he is worth, he can never live up to this contract and the fans would never let him live it down.

Even if he had nothing against the city, he burned a bridge in it by signing that deal.
Maybe so. Even so though, I don’t blame him. We’ve given him little reason to be loyal to us and that deal is way too good to pass up.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm a big fan of kk... thus would gives the canes a beauty top 6.

I don't thi j he us worth anything near 6.1 though... or at least not today. I do think he will become a 1C worth that though.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
E9-AHq5XMAEZFMI

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The thing that made him leave Montreal is wads of cash. and not giving a f*** about this team

And if what you say is true and he's leaving a team after a couple years after a few (justified) criticisms from the fan base.... well that doesn't bode for his future as a professional athlete. I'd say leaving a team over that is more salty than the fan comments by a long shot.
So you missed him being benched for no reason. Has nothing to do with this boards comments. But it does come from RDS running thier mouth like they did against Eller and Chuck. And your coaches poor choices will certainly effect your opinion or respect for them. DumDum doesn't get a 3 year, and KK gets a 3 million offer he likely stays. See the same guy who shafted you get a big contract and you have a lot of uncertainty, while getting low balled to play 2C- take the offer and leave.

You would too if you had a 2 bosses you didn't like or respect. I've taking lesser money because my boss was such an idiot. Just to get away from him. Now throw double+ my wage, hell yeah I am leaving. Even give the middle finger to my old boss. Its not that strange. Its not indicative of a moral flaw, has nothing to do with loyalty to some brand that was trying to trade you anyway. I suppose if you hated your work environment you would stay on just because Netscape use to be a great browser at one time? Even if mozilla offered you double+ your pay??? Somehow I doubt it

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I don't think it has much to do with the amount of faith the Canes have in KK. They might think he is an interesting project (which he is), but they are only offering him one year.

This is about their owner settling a score with the Habs at the expense of their own cup window.

The poison pill in this case is how this contract can mess with the Habs internal salary comparatives, and inflate the future contracts of other "cost controlled" players. It's an attack on the habs cap management structure designed to give them perpetual cap headaches even for homegrown talents.

If dundon gets KK, he gets to stroke his ego. If Montreal matches, he will take pleasure in screwing with the Habs salary cap moving forward, or potentially forcing the habs to lose him for nothing depending on how this season goes.

Canes have been interested in KK for awhile now, getting him through an hostile offer is just icing on their cake. The only team that give a damn about the Habs internal cap structure is... the Habs.

It's a one year deal in no small part because KK is unproven but the deal have the shock value needed to get a player on a offer sheet. Which is how you are supposed to do OS.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Alright makes sense. So they either agree to a longer term contract at whatever salary or if they don’t agree they would submit a QO at 100% of this previous years salary?

You got it, there might be a slight modifier on the QO but relatively the same.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe so. Even so though, I don’t blame him. We’ve given him little reason to be loyal to us and that deal is way too good to pass up.
I don't blame him either. Carolina succeeded in getting even with us. I don't think it was a great move from their pov as their top 6 is pretty set already, but what's done is done.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Definitely some of what you say is true and good points, but I do find it quite convoluted. I can't imagine CAR not really thinking this will work out for them long term.

Also I think this move is a message to the whole league about the dangers of making an offer sheet. I really think it will looked at by the NHLPA because it is making it very clear that offer sheeting is seen as a spiteful vindictive act, when from the NHLPA's point of view it should be part of a free market negotiation.

Im not ruling out that KK could work out in Carolina eventually and actually be a 6 million dollar player for them. I don't think it's happening in the short term, but the issue if I was a Canes fan is that they aren't at the stage of their competitive cycle where they should be slinging valuable cap space at projects.

They have put themselves over the cap limit now, and those cap dollars would have been better suited to aim for proven talents to get them over the hump as the season wore on. They are at the point of their cycle where they are looking at winning today, so this offer sheet doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: WinterLion

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Bitching at a player for negotiating is not logical. The habs have botched every step of this one. They reached to get a center and took a project, then they decided to play the project in the NHL at 18 instead of letting him work on his game, then they benched him instead of working on the project. If the habs wanted him to think of the organization before signing an offer sheet they should have prioritized his development.

MB just does not seem to be able to negotiate. Some people negotiate the price down while making everyone happy. I'm like Bergevin. I negotiate, the price goes up, other people get more money and they are still less happy than they were before the negotiations when they would have had less. I try to let other people negotiate for me because I know I'm not going to make things better for myself. Bergevin should do the same and have someone else negotiate, at least with returning players.

Yep, has Bergevin ever signed a "steal" contract? I guess the first Gallagher one?

Funny enough, anything good I can find on MB for negotiation or development starts with "Gallagher" - maybe he's the exception that confirms the rule?

Reactions: dcyhabs

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
This is too funny take the picks!!!

KK upside is to become a Eller type

Do you really believe this team will get something better than this with those picks?

Have you not payed any attention to the drafts in the past 20 years?

The draft picks probably will never be NHL players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad