Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Then they slide to next year and you really want to unprotect a first, with this team, going into the Bedard draft?

I would hope that the center they trade for + the 2021 lottery pick + the improvement of Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov + 1 or 2 rookie like Guhle, Norlinder and Harris put them in the playoff picture.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Meaning that Bergevin gave a 9th overall pick just to sign Drouin 6 years at 5.5M simply based on merits and that is despite Drouin acting like a spoiled brat in Tampa.

I mean....if you think giving a low 1st and 3rd round pick to get Kotkaniemi a 6M is impossible.....I think Bergevin made even worst with that move. So it does happen
Waddell didn’t pay a Calder finalist 3.5M for 2 years, or a top dman more than 6.5M just so he could troll the habs but Drouin.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And when they do its not like that team can't or won't suddenly throw them overboard-see Markov. Subban loved the habs and despite MBs very words of never trading him, he was gone in a few weeks time. Its business and I can say I don't get attached to any player anymore. How can you when you have 1/3 of the roster flipped each and every year.

A few days. He said that on draft day. Subban was traded around 6 days later.

There's no loyalty in business and you'd have to be childish to blame KK.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Absolutely agree, there's no way he doesn't work the phones as he should even if he was 100% convinced in KK's upside. You need to look at all angles here.

This is a situation that would normally get someone fired though because it's basically a road map of huge mistakes he's made.
1. Rushed KK
2. f***ed him over twice with Thompson and Staal
3. The play-off scratches
4. Aho offersheet (team friendly with 0 chance of working but just enough to piss off a rival team)
5. Not getting the KK contract done earlier to avoid the mess completely.

Absolutely. 1-3 may be the reason he couldn't get #5 done. I am all but certain this was a move by KK to force his way out of Montreal. I'm not even sure matching is an option because I can see the fans being absolutely brutal to this young man every time he messes up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not under normal circumstances. But price may want out as seen by him not being protected, we have weber on his last legs, lot of banged up older players now. Those 3 off season guys? More question marks than exclamation marks. Amazing when you look at the 2012 habs vs the 2021 habs. A simple flip of the last 2 digits and I wish I could travel back in time. I was a very positive hab fan back then...MB has torn apart my spirit. I am now the cynical old fan that I use to get upset at for not loving every move of the habs, or for not cheering Carbos comeback kids to squeaking into the playoffs! LOL those are now glory days vs this team.

And now I won't be fooled by price standing on his head last year and a lot of lucky bounces in the playoffs. Some of those lucky bounces from this very player.

I get where you're coming from. But whether the acquisitions are exclamation points or not, they're brought in for the now. It's not potentially losing KK to an offer sheet that will undo it all and force you to rebuild.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would hope that the center they trade for + the 2021 lottery pick + the improvement of Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov + 1 or 2 rookie like Guhle, Norlinder and Harris put them in the playoff picture.

Hope isn't the best plan, unfortunately, you would have to have the evidence to support making that call right now and they simply don't as we don't know what the team looks like in their regular division, in their normal conference, without Weber, Danault and Tatar. All three of which have been big parts of our very limited success.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Absolutely. 1-3 may be the reason he couldn't get #5 done. I am all but certain this was a move by KK to force his way out of Montreal. I'm not even sure matching is an option because I can see the fans being absolutely brutal to this young man every time he messes up.
KK was done in Montreal. He was going to be traded. Now he just chose his team. In any case, KK not coming back.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yep, has Bergevin ever signed a "steal" contract? I guess the first Gallagher one?

Funny enough, anything good I can find on MB for negotiation or development starts with "Gallagher" - maybe he's the exception that confirms the rule?
Patches and Toffis contract was good value. But they are far outweighed by his bungles. First gally-good, second gally-bad. Price-bad(I know he played great in the playoffs, but we need to get to the playoffs for this to have value!) drouin-bad, alzner-very very bad. Andy's..A little high for a 40 point guy, but he has intangibles :sarcasm:

Reactions: abo9

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Waddell didn’t pay a Calder finalist 3.5M for 2 years, or a top dman more than 6.5M just so he could troll the habs but Drouin.

Although I don't want to defend them at all......just saying that weirder things have happened in our own backyard, so you saying that no one would pay a 1st and 3rd for KK isn't true.

Pageau got a 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Savard and Foligno got a 1st ++ as rentals

We soooooooooooo overrated picks in Montreal it's not even funny.
99% of them never pan out and yet, many always think they are worth gold when they are not.

Reactions: Redux91

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Although I don't want to defend them at all......just saying that weirder things have happened in our own backyard, so you saying that no one would pay a 1st and 3rd for KK isn't true.

99% of them never pan out and yet, many always think they are worth gold when they are not.

We value the pick but we also value the cap space. 6.1 millions for kotkaniemi is poor use of the cap space.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I value our first because I think we could be a lottery team the next 2 years and the drafts are super deep. I don't value the Canes picks because we could get the same return on Ben f***ing Chiarot.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
So you missed him being benched for no reason. Has nothing to do with this boards comments. But it does come from RDS running thier mouth like they did against Eller and Chuck. And your coaches poor choices will certainly effect your opinion or respect for them. DumDum doesn't get a 3 year, and KK gets a 3 million offer he likely stays. See the same guy who shafted you get a big contract and you have a lot of uncertainty, while getting low balled to play 2C- take the offer and leave.

You would too if you had a 2 bosses you didn't like or respect. I've taking lesser money because my boss was such an idiot. Just to get away from him. Now throw double+ my wage, hell yeah I am leaving. Even give the middle finger to my old boss. Its not that strange. Its not indicative of a moral flaw, has nothing to do with loyalty to some brand that was trying to trade you anyway. I suppose if you hated your work environment you would stay on just because Netscape use to be a great browser at one time? Even if mozilla offered you double+ your pay??? Somehow I doubt it
Benched for no reason? The kid couldn't stand on his feet and had the most penalties amongst forwards not named Corey Perry while playing less games.

If you're response to being benched is to want a trade, then get the hell out. I guarantee you we'd say the same about any other teams players. If this is actually what happened I can't believe you or or anyone would actually blame the coach or team for prioritizing winning over a player's own satisfaction. This kid is starting to sound more and more like a cocky spoiled brat who doesn't have half the game he thinks he goes or a third of what he's going to paid for.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I get where you're coming from. But whether the acquisitions are exclamation points or not, they're brought in for the now. It's not potentially losing KK to an offer sheet that will undo it all and force you to rebuild.
I know. We have been pluggin holes with fingers and toes and yet the water is still rising.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Canes just screwed a lot of teams over. $6M for KK is ridiculous
No player or team will use this as a comparable. It’s a one year deal designed to screw an opponent that tried to f*** them over.

If anything, other GMs will be supportive of this because it discourages other teams from poaching.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Benched for no reason? The kid couldn't stand on his feet and had the most penalties amongst forwards not named Corey Perry while playing less games.

If you're response to being benched is to want a trade, then get the hell out. I guarantee you we'd say the same about any other teams players. If this is actually what happened I can't believe you or or anyone would actually blame the coach or team for prioritizing winning over a player's own satisfaction. This kid is starting to sound more and more like a cocky spoiled brat who doesn't have half the game he thinks he goes or a third of what he's going to paid for.
Agreed
KK made the benching , his own play caused it

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Im not ruling out that KK could work out in Carolina eventually and actually be a 6 million dollar player for them. I don't think it's happening in the short term, but the issue if I was a Canes fan is that they aren't at the stage of their competitive cycle where they should be slinging valuable cap space at projects.

They have put themselves over the cap limit now, and those cap dollars would have been better suited to aim for proven talents to get them over the hump as the season wore on. They are at the point of their cycle where they are looking at winning today, so this offer sheet doesn't really make sense.
I think it makes sense on many levels. If KK doesn’t work out... no biggie. If he does, it’s a steal. Great move on their part.

It was always stupid how we handled him.

We played Staal over him, haven’t developed him properly, his name is being bounced around in an Eichel trade, he’s probably being strong armed in negotiations... of course he signed.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
This board is so bipolar...

When Aho signed the offer sheet I didn't see anyone calling him ungrateful, loser, twerp or troll. Nor did any of you have a problem with Aho signing the laughable offer sheet as means to get a bigger payday, no one questioned his attitude or his loyalty.

But when KK does it everyone's like:
sticker_2134-512x512.png
He signed an offer with double what we'd be paying him. The fact that the Canes trolled us with a $20 signing bonus has nothing to do with KK. Or did you really expect him to say, "I'll only sign it if you take that $20 out."?

This is on our shitty management that treated him like he was the washed up Eric Staal instead of the actual washed up Eric Staal.

If any of you got double your salary now to go to your current employer's biggest rival, and not just another company in the same field, you'd jump on it.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

If you're response to being benched is to want a trade, then get the hell out. I guarantee you we'd say the same about any other teams players. If this is actually what happened I can't believe you or or anyone would actually blame the coach or team for prioritizing winning over a player's own satisfaction. This kid is starting to sound more and more like a cocky spoiled brat you doesn't have half the game he thinks he goes or a third of what he's going to paid for.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I love when the morality police come around talking crap they have no idea about. The coach did it to him in regular season-WHILE HE WAS PLAYING GOOD.

The GM would run him over in pressers. Tell me oh wise one, how would you feel about your bosses treating you like garbage. Another person who doesn't have the fortitude to look at it from the other side.
You see things when they are highlighted to you more than you would otherwise. Its like buying a new car, all of sudden you start to see the same vehicle everywhere.

You are more aware and looking for it. In your case looking for him to make mistakes instead of concentrating on his better than most playoff performance. We don't make it out of first round without him. Even though he does fall down. That is often the case with 20 year old KIDS. Wasn't even old enough to drink in the states and hasn't filled out...wow jeez he is skinny and gets bowled over. I guess every skinny 20 year old never put on some pounds. Just listen to yourself. And that is the best you got. He took penalties because he was trying too hard. He didn't want to miss an assignment and get benched-which happened anyway.

Cyrrus147

Jul 3, 2006
Montreal
No player or team will use this as a comparable. It’s a one year deal designed to screw an opponent that tried to f*** them over.

If anything, other GMs will be supportive of this because it discourages other teams from poaching.

I disagree with you. At least for the Canes players, every agent will use it as a comparable. Just like Marner and Matthews use Tavares contract as a comparable, even if he was a UFA when he signed that contract.

Like I said before, whoever get Kotkaniemi at this price will screw their salary structure. That s why I m sure Bergevin won t match.

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
This board is so bipolar...

When Aho signed the offer sheet I didn't see anyone calling him ungrateful, loser, twerp or troll. Nor did any of you have a problem with Aho signing the laughable offer sheet as means to get a bigger payday, no one questioned his attitude or his loyalty.

But when KK does it everyone's like:
View attachment 462933
He signed an offer with double what we'd be paying him. The fact that the Canes trolled us with a $20 signing bonus has nothing to do with KK. Or did you really expect him to say, "I'll only sign it if you take that $20 out."?

This is on our shitty management that treated him like he was the washed up Eric Staal instead of the actual washed up Eric Staal.

If any of you got double your salary now to go to your current employer's biggest rival, and not just another company in the same field, you'd jump on it.

I agree with you, anyone saying KK is wrong for accepting this is a hypocrite. Throw 6 mil in anyone's face and see how they would react.
The big winner in all if this is KK. He had no choice but to accept this, if anything, he would have been an idiot not to.

I think Bergy was the one who said, if you want loyalty, get a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad