Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
After reading and reviewing I think a 1st and a 3rd for Kotkaniemi is a steal. No way Habs should pay 6.1 for this player. I believe Carolina is praying the Habs match...their pettiness is going to backfire.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Suzuki... I have no doubt they match it.

KK.... I think they won't. My opinion. They could just as easily match for KK.

But for Suzuki.... there is no doubt they match any offer sheet.

Yes I agree but still, not sure i want Suzuki to even think he wants out of Mtl.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah exactly, so that was my point. Either they pay him at least 6,1M$ or they lose him as a free agent.
I’m pretty sure they can decide to not qualify him, he becomes UFA and then can sign with them for less. If anyone has different info I’d love to see it,

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Le Brun

Hurricanes did try to trade for Kotkaniemi instead over the past several days but nothing that came close to making the Habs interested. So Dundon gets his offer sheet revenge.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Yeah exactly, so that was my point. Either they pay him at least 6,1M$ or they lose him as a free agent.
I think they don't care if they lose him. You can also negotiate a smaller contract and the player can choose to accept it. I don't think any GM is going to qualify him at 6.1m short of a killer season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In the off-season, teams aren't allowed to go 10% over the cap. That means you can't go over $89.65M (81.5 + 8.15 = 89.65). Look ma, I math'ed .

According to CapFriendly, Habs are now at $83.77M. If they match the offer, they will be at $89.87. So they'll be over the 10% cushion.

We know Weber will be placed on LTIR (and maybe Byron). But they can't do that before the start of the season. That means that during the off-season, Weber's (and Byron's) cap hits still count.

Reactions: zx81 and LaP

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
If the habs let KK go for a first round pick in the bottom of the draft and he breaks out that's going to look absolutely pathetic.

I think we have no choice but to match and eat the cap hit and then work on an extension at something a little more reasonable.

I think Kotkaniemi has no intention to do that with the Habs. It's a 6.1 + millions QO every year until he is UFA. No thank you.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wrote about it before.

1. They could steal a good young player with only a short term deal to start. If he works out, they can sign him for less next year if they wanted to.

2. There’s little risk. If he doesn’t work out... no biggie. They give up some lower picks. Well worth it for KK.

3. It sends a message to the league not to go after your players. This is huge and had to be done.

4. It totally screws an opponent who previously screwed you.

As for #1, if he has a good year, why would he not explore the the market as a UFA at age 22, especially if carolina offers him less?

#2 - The risk is the opportunity cost. For a team like that, the stanley cup is not too far out of reach, and thats when the vision shifts to short term. Tampa used their picks and prospects to get more proven guys like McDonagh and Miller when they reached near the deadline. The canes used their flexibility on a project that most likely will need more than one year to hit his stride still. Its not smart use of their cap relative to where they are as a team.

#3 Yep, Dundon has ensured that nobody will offer sheet him again. Philly and Edmonton have sent multiple offer sheets in the cap era including for players like Vanek, Weber, and Kesler (and Penner which worked), but none of those teams faced a revenge offer sheet. I'm trying to think back of any revenge offer sheets in this cap era. If there were any, it is extremely rare, and I dont think the teams listed above ever were picked on for subsequent offer sheets, so you can also argue whether its important at all to send this sort of message.

#4 This is an irrelevant point towards the goal of constructing a good roster. This is a point for ego stroking.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As for #1, if he has a good year, why would he not explore the the market as a UFA at age 22, especially if carolina offers him less?

#2 - The risk is the opportunity cost. For a team like that, the stanley cup is not too far out of reach, and thats when the vision shifts to short term. Tampa used their picks and prospects to get more proven guys like McDonagh and Miller near the deadline. The canes used their flexibility on a project that most likely will need more than one year to hit his stride still. Its not smart use of their cap.

#3 Yep, Dundon has ensured that nobody will offer sheet him again. Philly and Edmonton have sent multiple offer sheets in the cap era including for players like Vanek, Weber, and Kesler (and Penner which worked), but none of those teams faced a revenge offer sheet. I'm trying to think back of any revenge offer sheets in this cap era. If there were any, it is extremely rare, and I dont think the teams listed above ever were picked on for subsequent offer sheets, so you can also argue whether its important at all to send this sort of message.

#4 This is an irrelevant point towards the goal of constructing a good roster. This is a point for ego stroking.
I disagree with pretty much everything you’ve written here. But that’s cool. We’ll disagree.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Le Brun

Hurricanes did try to trade for Kotkaniemi instead over the past several days but nothing that came close to making the Habs interested. So Dundon gets his offer sheet revenge.
I do wonder if there is any truth to this. Canes aren't in a great situation either cap wise so taking on a 6.1 million KK doesn't seem like the smart move. They are also loaded down the middle.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
In the off-season, teams aren't allowed to go 10% over the cap. That means you can't go over $89.65M (81.5 + 8.15 = 89.65). Look ma, I math'ed .

According to CapFriendly, Habs are now at $83.77M. If they match the offer, they will be at $89.87. So they'll be over the 10% cushion.

We know Weber will be placed on LTIR (and maybe Byron). But they can't do that before the start of the season. That means that during the off-season, Weber's (and Byron's) cap hits still count.

Oh, Carolina… you mathematician bastards…

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the habs let KK go for a first round pick in the bottom of the draft and he breaks out that's going to look absolutely pathetic.

I think we have no choice but to match and eat the cap hit and then work on an extension at something a little more reasonable.

That's what will happen. Unless we find a way to get Eichel. People should stop with freaking Dvorak.

But then here lies the question...how the f*** will it be easier to come with an extension AFTER what is happening right now compared to just come to a contact this summer PRIOR to what is happening right now? JK and his agent knows that if the Habs are not interesting in qualifying him next season, he choose the team he wants to be in. And in the end, if JK wants to go....he won't sign that extension.

So in the end, it could even come to this....Bergevin thinks we can make another great push this year wiht JK and that we will lose him for nothing. Or you trade him and get that return.

Do people not realize how bad Bergevin is looking. He thought he was handcuffing the Canes. He actually gave them a superb contract. And then the Canes are the one who are handcuffing him.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

So we can't match it ?

I guess we have to trade someone before matching it.. if that's what we want.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think Kotkaniemi has no intention to do that with the Habs. It's a 6.1 + millions QO every year until he is UFA. No thank you.

This creates a bit of a problem with the collective agreement. Will be a way for players to become UFA earlier by enticing teams to sign them for 1-year offer sheet.

For KK, he's burning himself out of 2 organizations at the same time, a weird move.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
That's what will happen. Unless we find a way to get Eichel. People should stop with freaking Dvorak.

But then here lies the question...how the f*** will it be easier to come with an extension AFTER what is happening right now compared to just come to a contact this summer PRIOR to what is happening right now? JK and his agent knows that if the Habs are not interesting in qualifying him next season, he choose the team he wants to be in. And in the end, if JK wants to go....he won't sign that extension.

So in the end, it could even come to this....Bergevin thinks we can make another great push this year wiht JK and that we will lose him for nothing. Or you trade him and get that return.

Do people not realize how bad Bergevin is looking. He thought he was handcuffing the Canes. He actually gave them a superb contract. And then the Canes are the one who are handcuffing him.

I dont buy this one second. If the Canes were happy with the contract they would have moved on by now and forgotten about it. Unless of course you have ego driven amateurs in management which is a real possibility.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

as a habs fan this sucks. As my personal beliefs around how MB has treated some young habs players in the past, f*** him.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
There's another thing we need to recognize, it's next year's roster (2022-23) Cap will be at 82.5, we already have 68.4 committed and that's without Suzuki, Romanov, Evans (and Kotkaniemi) signed. And that's with a roster of only 12 players.

So if Kotkaniemi must be qualified for 6m, we're screwed. We will have 7M to sign 10 players including Suzuki.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad