Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So we can't match it ?

I guess we have to trade someone before matching it.. if that's what we want.

I am going off CapFriendly's numbers. And although they are as precise as anyone out there, I can't say with full certainty they they have their numbers 100% right.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Apparently, Pagnotta said that he thinks Dvorak would cost less than the 1st and 3rd we would get from Carolina if we don't match this.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I just remembered that Carolina offered a very similar cap hit to Hamilton who was arguably their 2nd most valuable player and a star dman. They are hoping we match this.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Kk cant be traded for a full year if the Habs were to match, as per the rules of an offer sheet.

But the canes can trade him if the habs don't match as long as he agrees to the trade. According to RDS the canes made an offer for him, and they want him. I thought they might already be able to trade him for more than a late first/third if they got him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We value the pick but we also value the cap space. 6.1 millions for kotkaniemi is poor use of the cap space.

That I also know.....some where just happy to go through 3 years with 10+ millions in dead cap space and some wanted to get rid of Price to get again more cap space. But I get you on that, no one really wants to sign KK at 6.1M......

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yes but then.....the ONLY time you could argue that they have some kinda of confidence is...right now. By letting Danault go. And this happens. But then...how the f*** do you not come to a signing much earlier than now? Mind-boggling move by Bergevin.

Unless KK didn't wanna sign. MB was in no win here. Kid is worth maybe 3 for 3 now or 4x2. Can't vlame KK though.
Would be interesting to see what Canes offered in trade before the OS. Would help clear it up for us

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Losing KK does not suddenly kick in another rebuild.

MB last off-season got Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson, and Allen, while also extending Gallagher and Petry. This off-season, he went and got Savard, Hoffman, and Perreault. That is not the plan of a team looking to rebuild because they might lose a promising player to an offer sheet.

I agree losing KK is not enough to kick off a rebuild, but if they lose him after losing Danault, with Weber out for the year, and Price potentially not in peak health it's starting to look like this might not be a great year. They shored up the wings but they could lose two centers.

MB makes a lot of good individual moves but I don't have faith in his vision, or in his ability to get others to share that vision.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Looking at Carolina at center:

Aho
Trocheck
Jordan Staal

Necas is also listed as a center but playing the wings

Where do they plan on playing KK? Either there would be another trade (and we can assume they wont trade with Montreal), or they are moving another guy to the wing. They wouldn't bring KK at that contract to play 4th line.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just remembered that Carolina offered a very similar cap hit to Hamilton who was arguably their 2nd most valuable player and a star dman. They are hoping we match this.

Someone on Twitter brought this up (I don't remember who) is that Carolina tries to avoid signing bonuses, particularly with Aho getting big signing bonuses the rest of his contract.

Svechnikov signed his 8-year deal. He has a signing bonus of $4000,37 this year and then has 0$ of his contract in signing bonuses the rest of the way. KK, we know is $20.

Hamilton signed with Devils but has signing bonuses every year of his deal.

Nedelkovic I don't get. Apparently they didn't want to sign him to $3.5M, so they trade him. He signs for $3M and has 0 signing bonuses (which is right up Canes' alley). They then turn and sign Andersen for $4.5M.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Looking at Carolina at center:

Aho
Trocheck
Jordan Staal

Necas is also listed as a center but playing the wings

Where do they plan on playing KK? Either there would be another trade (and we can assume they wont trade with Montreal), or they are moving another guy to the wing. They wouldn't bring KK at that contract to play 4th line.

On Aho's wing?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I agree losing KK is not enough to kick off a rebuild, but if they lose him after losing Danault, with Weber out for the year, and Price potentially not in peak health it's starting to look like this might not be a great year. They shored up the wings but they could lose two centers.

MB makes a lot of good individual moves but I don't have faith in his vision, or in his ability to get others to share that vision.

It depends what they do next. They can acquire a center via trade.

I think to replace Danault, they plan to do that internally with Evans. As for potentially losing KK, that is a spot they will need to fill up. But they can still do it.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Apparently, Pagnotta

fade-meme.gif

Reactions: gab6511

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Honestly I'm not sure who I'm more angry with KK or Bergevin. The minute Danault walked KK had leverage over the team due to our center depth. I don't know what Bergevin offered KK but he had 2 months to hammer out a deal and couldn't get it done.

If history shows us anything Bergevin probably low balled him. That along with him getting benched for the last 2 games of the finals probably pissed him off enough that he signed the offer sheet. Either way I'm done defending this kid. If he wants to leave take the picks and run because he isn't worth 6 mil a year.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
1st+3rd picks are good return for Kotkaniemi. 6M paycheck to him is beyond lunacy...
I wouldn't mind keeping him if he had exactly the same stats he has right now, but that at least he showed he could elevate players around him from time to time.

He can barely handle or make a pass without bobbling the puck.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I guess the big winner in this mess.. despite receiving a super bad contract offer by MB is Poehling who all of a sudden maybe has a big door open to take Kotkaniemi's spot. It's not Impossible he does better in the long run.. even of we sign Kotka and match the offer that won't leave good vibes in the locker room.. it's Not like Aho who actually got a contract he deserved he almost made a favor to Carolina lol. Kotka a 6.1? Way too much for now. It's going to be fun to see what Bergevin does.

That's why if you do an hostile offer it better be really hostile. Lol.. MB did it to look good.. and easy to match by Carolina. Now he pays the price.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There's another thing we need to recognize, it's next year's roster (2022-23) Cap will be at 82.5, we already have 68.4 committed and that's without Suzuki, Romanov, Evans (and Kotkaniemi) signed. And that's with a roster of only 12 players.

So if Kotkaniemi must be qualified for 6m, we're screwed. We will have 7M to sign 10 players including Suzuki.

You don't have to give the player the QO.

Also, that's also with Weber's caphit, who may not play again

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Someone on Twitter brought this up (I don't remember who) is that Carolina tries to avoid signing bonuses, particularly with Aho getting big signing bonuses the rest of his contract.

Svechnikov signed his 8-year deal. He has a signing bonus of $4000,37 this year and then has 0$ of his contract in signing bonuses the rest of the way. KK, we know is $20.

Hamilton signed with Devils but has signing bonuses every year of his deal.

Nedelkovic I don't get. Apparently they didn't want to sign him to $3.5M, so they trade him. He signs for $3M and has 0 signing bonuses (which is right up Canes' alley). They then turn and sign Andersen for $4.5M.

The canes have done well with their young players, but they have a lot of those players because they had high picks from finishing badly. They have good coaching, and a good group of young players, but I don't think anyone is impressed with the ownership or the organization. Who knows what they are thinking.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Of course they are thinking we 1000000% match this
they dont want the player at all, this is purely just to hurt us financially with the cap a little bit
just like we tried to f*** up the owners financials with the signing bonus heavy Aho deal, you just KNEW dundon was beyond livid and ordered a counter attack

its just crazy to me the only way we "win" the troll job is by calling the bluff and letting Carolina take him..
whole things is just a gigantic bummer really, completely ruined the whole KK career curve
No idea what we do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad