Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No but we will lose him for nothing. Kotkaniemi can't be a rental for 6m right now. It's not worth it.

You can work out a deal. It happens.

However, there are centres out there available, or whispers that they might be. He can be replaced, at a cheaper cap hit and currently a better player. KK could improve, but as of right now we could get a better option

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I just find it harder and harder to imagine a world where Bergevin will match this.... every minute that goes by it just feels more apparent and more logistic sense to not match the offer..

in my heart i want us to, but this really is the most outrageous contract offer ive ever seen.. we cant f***ing work with such a terribly structured contract, they really f***ed us on this one lol

Cant believe losing KK like THIS, in a trade i get it, but like THIS will sting for quite a while cant lie...

NOW our center depth has reach critical point, something has to be done, rapidly.

Reactions: demetan33

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I have no idea how anyone can be mad at Kotkaniemi. Guy is basically guaranteed 11-12 mil next 2 years. There was no chance he was going to make anything close on whatever Montreal was going to offer as bridge contract.

I don't get why anyone is mad at him for taking more.

However, if he's still as mediocre, he's likely not getting a QO.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
The only promising future we had at C was Suzuki. Kotkaniemi has never been anything more than potential in a jar that might never translate.

This is a pretty amateur way of handling things by Bergevin and he indeed has a lot of explaining to do. But 6.1M for Kotkaniemi is beyond ridiculous. It's absolutely horrible. You take the picks, add a couple of assets and replace him. It's not that hard to do. People are really overrating his contribution to the team.

There's not even a spot for him at C in CAR...
You think that very low pick which could end up being enough to get something even near to Kotkaniemi potential. Nah.

Basically it's like Carolina would be given a high 2nd pick + high 4 round pick.

The reality is MB screwed up. That's it.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Not the biggest Bergevin fan but it’s hard to shit on him for not signing KK beforehand if we have no idea what kind of offers he’s making. For all we know, KK sees himself as a $5m per year player and was rejecting everything sent his way.

Bergevin made an hostile offer to screwed Carolina and he expected everybody including Carolina to play fair. Come on.

That totally on MB. If you play with fire is because you know the chances of getting burned.

Reactions: LaP and Doc McKenna

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't get why anyone is mad at him for taking more.

However, if he's still as mediocre, he's likely not getting a QO.
That's the thing too... if he's mediocre, it's also more reason to bank on this 6.1M since his next contract won't be high. He's basically set himself up for life at 22 without his play ever showing he's deserving of it yet.

Kid won the lottery.

Reactions: UKLightning

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
I just find it harder and harder to imagine a world where Bergevin will match this.... every minute that goes by it just feels more apparent and more logistic sense to not match the offer..

in my heart i want us to, but this really is the most outrageous contract offer ive ever seen.. we cant f***ing work with such a terribly structured contract, they really f***ed us on this one lol

Cant believe losing KK like THIS, in a trade i get it, but like THIS will sting for quite a while cant lie...

NOW our center depth has reach critical point, something has to be done, rapidly.

not that worried about the core, as much as I admired KK’s spurts of productivity, the Habs weren’t depending on him to drive offense reliably. He is very very young though but I think he’s had just about enough of being a Hab.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It's a pretty simple solution. KK needs to be signed by Habs - at 6.1M and MB gonna have to eat crow. You simply cannot let a big/solid young 2C go for peanuts on the dollar. He's going to break out this year (especially with Danault gone) with guaranteed top 6 minutes. MB is just a simpleton who got played, and if he fails to match the QO, then he's a simpleton with an Ego (bad combo).
$6M is really not that much, even more so for a Habs team with no C depth. KK is the difference between barely making the playoffs and having a brutal bottom dweller year.
Just remember, KK is worth $3M currently - so all this arguing is over $3M which is roughly equal to 1 or 2 bargain bin journeymen who end up taking roster spots and time from developing players.
IMO this is the greatest gift Carolina has given us: it handcuffs MB from journeymen bargainbinners, and checks his ego at the door bc he cost his boss $3M for being an idiot.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB made a bad decision on drafting him in the first place
this is the best scenario to get two picks back and let the inconsistent kid walk he's not worth $6 million dollars for his production is skating his face off
he's a third line center at best so pay him that enjoy it canes and don't let the door hit you on the way out KK

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I have no idea how anyone can be mad at Kotkaniemi. Guy is basically guaranteed 11-12 mil next 2 years. There was no chance he was going to make anything close on whatever Montreal was going to offer as bridge contract.

Nobody is mad. When you jump over your boss's roadmap, don't expect to make too many boss friends. Playing for a good team requires some personal sacrifices. Soon to our screens, KK in Pheonix or Buffalo.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
this is the best scenario to get two picks back and let the inconsistent kid walk he's not worth $6 million dollars for his production is skating his face off
he's a third line center at best so pay him that enjoy it canes and don't let the door hit you on the way out KK

Pretty revisionist, many would have kept him in Europe for a few years (and then we would not have this problem).

Last edited:

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
It's a pretty simple solution. KK needs to be signed by Habs - at 6.1M and MB gonna have to eat crow. You simply cannot let a big/solid young 2C go for peanuts on the dollar. He's going to break out this year (especially with Danault gone) with guaranteed top 6 minutes. MB is just a simpleton who got played, and if he fails to match the QO, then he's a simpleton with an Ego (bad combo).
$6M is really not that much, even more so for a Habs team with no C depth. KK is the difference between barely making the playoffs and having a brutal bottom dweller year.
Just remember, KK is worth $3M currently - so all this arguing is over $3M which is roughly equal to 1 or 2 bargain bin journeymen who end up taking roster spots and time from developing players.
IMO this is the greatest gift Carolina has given us: it handcuffs MB from journeymen bargainbinners, and checks his ego at the door bc he cost his boss $3M for being an idiot.

You think KK would breakout in a toxic environment ? I think the bridges are burned between KK, front office and fans (p.s. I don't agree with the fans being on his back, but Montreal being Montreal...).

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Nobody is mad. When you jump over your boss's roadmap, don't expect to make too many boss friends. Playing for a good team requires some personal sacrifices. Soon to our screens, KK in Pheonix or Buffalo.
Match, sign him to an 8 year extension then trade him to Buffalo right after...

Enjoy Purgatory lol

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Kotkaniemi is not worth 3 million. Anyway you put it he’s not worth 3 million

Reactions: Deebs

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Yes I agree that the best part of this is that it forces the issue with Kotkienemi. He will be playing top minutes this year or he will be gone... no tip-toeing around this anymore!

Reactions: Walrus26

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If the 2022 draft is as good as some say, I'd take the picks. Carolina might not be as good without Hamilton.

Reactions: Hins77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Drafting for need rarely works

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
You think KK would breakout in a toxic environment ? I think the bridges are burned between KK, front office and fans (p.s. I don't agree with the fans being on his back, but Montreal being Montreal...).
why is it Aho could sign a QO from MTL, and end up staying in CAR with no issues?

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Kotkaniemi is not worth 3 million. Anyway you put it he’s not worth 3 million
wth man? he's a 2C (3C at worse). Big, strong, bit of a mean streak - good skater, good hands, good attitude. Balance is weak (which can be improved with weight training). He's certain;ly not worth $6M but that's been established - MB cost us that. We've gone years with a $9M LW called Cap Space. You tell me, what 2C we can get to fill the role? none.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Still wondering how Dvorak is a solution if we want to improve....

He can score goals. He's flirted with the 20-goal mark the last two seasons that were either cut short (2019-20) or hasn't been a complete season (2020-21). He's got a wicked shot.

The last two season, he was on pace for 45 points on one of the worst teams. You'd think that playing with goal scorers like Hoffman, Toffoli, and Caufield would help bump him to over 50-points.

He's great on the dot (over 50% his entire career except his rookie season).

25 years old with 4 years left at $4.45M.

He isn't the elite centerman you'd like to see. And there have been higher end centers in the rumor mill like Eichel, Kuznetsov, and Monahan. But Dvorak will cost less and you will still get a Top-6 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad