Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yep, has Bergevin ever signed a "steal" contract? I guess the first Gallagher one?

Funny enough, anything good I can find on MB for negotiation or development starts with "Gallagher" - maybe he's the exception that confirms the rule?

First Gallagher, Danault and Pacioretty contracts were good. But he was hosed on others like Price and Subban.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Im not ruling out that KK could work out in Carolina eventually and actually be a 6 million dollar player for them. I don't think it's happening in the short term, but the issue if I was a Canes fan is that they aren't at the stage of their competitive cycle where they should be slinging valuable cap space at projects.

They have put themselves over the cap limit now, and those cap dollars would have been better suited to aim for proven talents to get them over the hump as the season wore on. They are at the point of their cycle where they are looking at winning today, so this offer sheet doesn't really make sense.

It's clear Dundon is vindictive and they feel that making a statement about their financial acumen and future offersheets is worth the potential downside of KK at this money.

Even though I am firmly in the 'you match' camp.. the vindictive side of me would love to see a situation where we call the bluff, f*** a season of their competitive window and hope that their goaltending/defense implodes and we have two firsts in the lottery.

That thought just gets killed by the fact that MB would use those picks to get some clown like Dvorak and hand the Coyotes 2 lottery picks to save face.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
So basically MB has a week to turn a 1st and 3rd into a replacement for KK or he probably matches. I believe it is totally doable. My view of KK is the same as all Habs players. I overvalue them. Let’s see what’s out there.

Reactions: dinodebino

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Canes have been interested in KK for awhile now, getting him through an hostile offer is just icing on their cake. The only team that give a damn about the Habs internal cap structure is... the Habs.

It's a one year deal in no small part because KK is unproven but the deal have the shock value needed to get a player on a offer sheet. Which is how you are supposed to do OS.

Like I said before, KK is an interesting project, so it does not surprise me that they, or other teams also expressed interest.

Even if he has a stagnant year, he will draw interest next year too if he hits the free agent market. Teams will not give up on his potential at such a young age.

Without knowing what they offered for KK, we don't know how serious they were about trading for him, but you don't need to look any further than the signing bonus figure on this offer sheet to realize that they are primarily acting out of spite.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
match the 6.1 and sign him to a 4 year extension .
The last thing I want to see is KK burrying goals on Habs in the playoffs.....
Match, extend him 4 more years....then you can trade him down the road if need be.
No worries, this team is so poorly built we won't be seeing the playoffs against KK for a while.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So basically MB has a week to turn a 1st and 3rd into a replacement for KK or he probably matches. I believe it is totally doable. My view of KK is the same as all Habs players. I overvalue them. Let’s see what’s out there.

I'm confident he knows there's nothing out there because his press conference comments were pretty transparent that he wanted to add to the center line but couldn't. Even with an extra 1st and 3rd in the bank, it wouldn't change anything drastically.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
First Gallagher, Danault and Pacioretty contracts were good. But he was hosed on others like Price and Subban.

True, and I guess Toffoli is under a good contract (arguably a steal if he continues like he did last year)

Its just... every win from MB is neutralized by an equally or worst bad move. Trades are the same.

Not saying that this 1 year contract will be the end of the franchise, but I think it makes us lose Kotkaniemi by next year even if we do match.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm confident he knows there's nothing out there because his press conference comments were pretty transparent that he wanted to add to the center line but couldn't. Even with an extra 1st and 3rd in the bank, it wouldn't change anything drastically.
It’s possible that every deal out there involved that 1st round pick which they didn’t want to part with for reasons. Perhaps that second pick has opened previously closed doors.

Reactions: DAChampion

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

And in my book...he still need to replace Danault and is still unable to do it.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Never been a fan of KK. Just hasn't shown me anything to suggest he will come close to attaining this "potential" people see in him. From what he's shown, I see him maxing out as a lower tier 2nd line center.

Take the picks. KK at 6.1m is a big mistake, and if he sucks again next season then he won't even be worth a 1st with that albatross.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Never been a fan of KK. Just hasn't shown me anything to suggest he will come close to attaining this "potential" people see in him. From what he's shown, I see him maxing out as a lower tier 2nd line center.

Take the picks. KK at 6.1m is a big mistake, and if he sucks again next season then he won't even be worth a 1st with that albatross.
Bambi on ice. Can't stand up

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
This is too funny take the picks!!! Carolina basically let their hot rookie goalie + their best D walk for this wow.

KK upside is to become a Eller type, he's not even at that level yet. You don't really want the guy in he top6 no shot weak passing game and he flops around all the time.

2 1st picks in the bank to go after Eichel let's goooooo
KK at 6 does nothing for Carolina. Like, zero upside. They’ll burn him on the wing and that will be the end of that.

I would take the do over and see if MB is worth is salt by getting a #2 that can contribute. And a number #3. When the going gets tough, you see if he’s up to the challenge. Losing KK gets you the leeway to go after the Duchene and Dvorak of the world without thinking about stalling the development of a youngster.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Losing KK does not suddenly kick in another rebuild.

MB last off-season got Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson, and Allen, while also extending Gallagher and Petry. This off-season, he went and got Savard, Hoffman, and Perreault. That is not the plan of a team looking to rebuild because they might lose a promising player to an offer sheet.
Not under normal circumstances. But price may want out as seen by him not being protected, we have weber on his last legs, lot of banged up older players now. Those 3 off season guys? More question marks than exclamation marks. Amazing when you look at the 2012 habs vs the 2021 habs. A simple flip of the last 2 digits and I wish I could travel back in time. I was a very positive hab fan back then...MB has torn apart my spirit. I am now the cynical old fan that I use to get upset at for not loving every move of the habs, or for not cheering Carbos comeback kids to squeaking into the playoffs! LOL those are now glory days vs this team.

And now I won't be fooled by price standing on his head last year and a lot of lucky bounces in the playoffs. Some of those lucky bounces from this very player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fair. Still I imagine he will be working the phones in the hopes something is out there. Otherwise just match and move on.

Absolutely agree, there's no way he doesn't work the phones as he should even if he was 100% convinced in KK's upside. You need to look at all angles here.

This is a situation that would normally get someone fired though because it's basically a road map of huge mistakes he's made.
1. Rushed KK
2. f***ed him over twice with Thompson and Staal
3. The play-off scratches
4. Aho offersheet (team friendly with 0 chance of working but just enough to piss off a rival team)
5. Not getting the KK contract done earlier to avoid the mess completely.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Even though I am firmly in the 'you match' camp.. the vindictive side of me would love to see a situation where we call the bluff, f*** a season of their competitive window and hope that their goaltending/defense implodes and we have two firsts in the lottery.

That thought just gets killed by the fact that MB would use those picks to get some clown like Dvorak and hand the Coyotes 2 lottery picks to save face.

Our 2 1st round pick would be top 10 protected or at the very least top 5 protected in any trade for a center.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Lol. WTAF does that have to do with KK? I’d say you moved the goal post but you’re actually just playing en entirely different game lol.

Meaning that Bergevin gave a 9th overall pick just to sign Drouin 6 years at 5.5M simply based on merits and that is despite Drouin acting like a spoiled brat in Tampa.

I mean....if you think giving a low 1st and 3rd round pick to get Kotkaniemi a 6M is impossible.....I think Bergevin made even worst with that move. So it does happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad