Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
For the 2ish million Bergevin was going to offer? Doubtful. We’ll need to pay more to replace, thus, less for new players .

KK 20 points 56 games. 6.1 mil
AG 21 points 40 games. 1 mil
Dvorak 31 points 56 games. 4.4 mil

THere are options that are better than paying kk 6.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The fact that JK signed that offer sheet with 20$ signing bonus puzzles me. I mean, does the player have any say in that? Cause if JK was just fine with it, it kind of seems like he's giving the finger to Habs front office.

What's the perception of this among you guys? Even if you'd be ready to match that number, does it worry anyone here that JK might be too displeased with Habs management?

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Wait so I'm unsure if I'm understanding this so are the canes offering KK 6.1 mill? Sorry I must be not understanding if that's the case and if it is what I'm reading then we'd have to match right? Well if that's what it is then I get it it's because of the aho offer sheet in retribution.. if that's the deal then bye bye KK he's not even remotely close to 6 million.. thank you for the draft picks all day long and please make another offer towards anyone other than Suzuki and we'll be good.. again I'm unsure if the offer is a 6.1 million contract but if so we better not match that

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
For the 2ish million Bergevin was going to offer? Doubtful. We’ll need to pay more to replace, thus, less for new players .

KK 20 points 56 games. 6.1 mil
AG 21 points 40 games. 1 mil
Dvorak 31 pts 56 games 4.4 mil

As much as it kills me, I’d take Ag at 1 mil over kk at 6 everyday of the week.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Pretty mint.

This should happen more often. I think both Canes and Habs GMs have to be very careful in coming seasons with their RFA status players.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Here's the thing, y'all.

If CAR doesn't make this offer, then JK is stuck with a $2.5m bridge deal, or a low QO, or arbitration, and he's stuck for 3 years. He's cost controlled by MTL.

JK has nothing to lose. He knows he's not worth 6.1, but that doesn't matter, because the 6.1 is just the mechanism to force MTL's hand.

Even if MTL says no, and they should, then CAR pays 6.1 for one year when they've got the cap space to do it, and then at the end of the 21-22 season, CAR says "ok, like we agreed, we're not making you a QO of 6.1, so let's figure out what you're really worth, and if you don't agree you can go UFA and no hard feelings." Thus getting exclusive negotiating rights for his *actual* value, and likely some goodwill for freeing him from the MTL org.

Worst case for JK, he's a UFA at 22, almost certainly making more than he would have been making with MTL.

This 1 year offer sheet was nasty genius. The fact that it was revenge is just the cherry on top.

Maybe y'all should have played that kid more than 13 minutes a game.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It hurts for sure. KK was the wrong pick to make three years ago. It was a mistake to keep him at 18. He was mishandled quite a bit by Julien and Ducharme. He did not progress as expected. Very sad.

those playoff goals and crucial OT production...

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Here's the thing, y'all.

If CAR doesn't make this offer, then JK is stuck with a $2.5m bridge deal, or a low QO, or arbitration, and he's stuck for 3 years. He's cost controlled by MTL.

JK has nothing to lose. He knows he's not worth 6.1, but that doesn't matter, because the 6.1 is just the mechanism to force MTL's hand.

Even if MTL says no, and they should, then CAR pays 6.1 for one year when they've got the cap space to do it, and then at the end of the 21-22 season, CAR says "ok, like we agreed, we're not making you a QO of 6.1, so let's figure out what you're really worth, and if you don't agree you can go UFA and no hard feelings." Thus getting exclusive negotiating rights for his *actual* value, and likely some goodwill for freeing him from the MTL org.

Worst case for JK, he's a UFA at 22, almost certainly making more than he would have been making with MTL.

This 1 year offer sheet was nasty genius. The fact that it was revenge is just the cherry on top.

Gladly take the 1st and 3rd, 6.1 for bottom 6 center, c ya!

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Here's the thing, y'all.

This spells out the crucial difference between the Aho offer sheet and the Kotkaniemi one. This one actually puts Montreal in a notable bind considering its sheer value to the player and the player alone. That and I've said it before but there's also no way Carolina is putting this much value into offer sheeting him unless they think it's worth it. Does Montreal agree with that assessment is the question.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Here's the thing, y'all.

Maybe y'all should have played that kid more than 13 minutes a game.
Couldn’t you have used that money on keeping Hamilton, your goalies or another quality player?

Team definitely looking weaker then last year.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
This spells out the crucial difference between the Aho offer sheet and the Kotkaniemi one. This one actually puts Montreal in a notable bind considering its sheer value to the player and the player alone. That and I've said it before but there's also no way Carolina is putting this much value into offer sheeting him unless they think it's worth it. Does Montreal agree with that assessment is the question.

Right. The crucial detail is that CAR is free to value him differently. If MTL wants to keep him, the floor is set at 6.1m for each of the next four years, or lose him to UFA. They can't trade him this year because it's not allowed, and they won't be able to trade him in future years unless they actually sign him, and they won't be able to sign him for less than 6.1 AAV. It's a nasty spot. It seems pretty obvious that they have to just take the picks.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Gladly take the 1st and 3rd, 6.1 for bottom 6 center, c ya!

cause players don’t develop?

Blake Wheeler was not even a PPG player at the ncaa level at 20... another 3rd overall pick

Olli Jokinen another 3rd overall pick... go look him up

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
cause players don’t develop?

Blake Wheeler was not even a PPG player at the ncaa level at 20... another 3rd overall pick

Olli Jokinen another 3rd overall pick... go look him up

And for everyone one of those guys dozens/hundreds bust.

Go look up Diagle, Stefan

He ain’t a 6 mil C no matter how anyone wants to cut it. Too many flaws.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
While I love the pettiness angle and CAR seems to "win" either way, considering they don't seem to mind paying way too much for 1 year of Kotkaniemi (and assuming the 1st doesn't turn into some monster player), I actually think this will turn into harm for the organisation in the longer run. The owner/management is notoriously stingy, they reportedly made insulting offers to Aho, Teräväinen is signed at 5.4 AAV, other players have taken deals at below market value. And good for the organisation for being smart with the finances, but what exactly is the motivation for the players having good will in the future, when they see them throwing money for the lols but not not respecting their talents with market value contracts? What is the motivation for taking sweet heart deals? And should Kotkaniemi join the team, there is bound to be some hard feelings in the locker room for a bottom 6 player making more than the top guys.

Edit:Sorry, meant to post this in the main board thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad