Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
From my point of view as a Wings fan who hopped aboard the Habs bandwagon this past spring…

While funny - but I think the joke just might kick the Canes in the balls.

JK isn’t some 60 plus pts stud in the making - he’s a pretty ordinary player for the Habs.

The only way this really favors the Canes is if JK hits career numbers for the Canes and the draft picks they surrender to the Habs turn out to be duds.

Jul 6, 2016
I think Poehling can replace what KK gave last year (regular season). The hole at C that needed to be addressed was there before this deal.

Habs have two huge holes to fill at center with Danault and KK gone. And I don't think Evans, Poehling, Paquette or Perreault can do it.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I blame the Duche and the Eichel rumours for why he agreed to sign (and maybe he needed the $ for a PS5).

Reactions: FMichael

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The move is one thing, I totally get that and that’s fair game.
The using of the exact same quote announcement, the posting it in French, the signing bonus, the Twitter account going ham…that’s the classless part.
The use of the quote announcement was exactly the point. They wanted to send a message to Montreal... and the rest of the league.

Totally agree with how they did this.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I can’t blame him taking the money but this seem more like a big FU to you own team… I guess it is still MB fault for not getting a deal done sooner…
A late 1st and 3rd probably isn’t worth losing KK but that contract will be horrible especially if he is unwilling to sign below is QA ( why would he) or we end up not qualifying him next year…

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I would have 0 problem if it has Arizona or ottawa making the offer sheet. The real problem is that Carolina first round pick is going to be around 22-30.

Let pray Carolina team collapse hard next season and miss the playoff :laugh::laugh::laugh:
They won't, they are a very good good team. Even losing Hamilton does not change that. A D corps that includes Slavin and Pesce is still very solid.

Reactions: rahad

expy

Nov 2, 2010
The use of the quote announcement was exactly the point. They wanted to send a message to Montreal... and the rest of the league.

Totally agree with how they did this.
I’m sure no other GM has a problem with it either.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
It hurts for sure. KK was the wrong pick to make three years ago. It was a mistake to keep him at 18. He was mishandled quite a bit by Julien and Ducharme. He did not progress as expected. Very sad.

The biggest mistake was letting him play for the Habs right after the draft. Should have let him stay in Finland, and then maybe a year in the AHL. Letting him play as an 18 year old was ridiculous.

Reactions: KikoHunter

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I just listened to Friedman and Marek on their podcast and a few points that Friedman brought up

Carolina is actually interested in KK and isn't doing this just for pettiness. Also, he thinks that Carolina may have an idea of what a long term deal what look like to sign him. He believes Montreal was offering KK around 2.5 per for 2 years.

Montreal is considering not matching the offer and probably shopping the picks around to see what they can get for them

Another interesting to me is that Suzuki and KK have the same agent.

He said he wouldn't personally match the offer and let KK go.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They won't. KK obviously doesn't want to play for the Habs anymore.
Joe Sakic didn't want to play for Colorado? Weber didn't want to play for Nashville?

The guy has an opportunity at 22 to make 6 mil a year. He's got an opportunity to possibly become a UFA at 23 if the Habs don't match. He signed because it made sense for him to do it, not necessarily because he wanted out of Montreal.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Jul 6, 2016
Joe Sakic didn't want to play for Colorado? Weber didn't want to play for Nashville?

The guy has an opportunity at 22 to make 6 mil a year. He's got an opportunity to possibly become a UFA at 23 if the Habs don't match. He signed because it made sense for him to do it, not necessarily because he wanted out of Montreal.

The 20 bucks signing bonus is a huge f*** off to the Habs. The message is quite clear.
+ He will make way more than he is Worthing this season and becomes a total UFA the next one.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The funny part is that they think they're really clever offering Kotkaniemi 6.1M lol. They're so f***ed if we take the picks.
How come?

The worst scenario for them is losing a late 1st and a 3rd if they decide not to qualify Kotkaniemi after next season and he walks away on free agency.

On the other hand, if he's a good fit they can either re-negotiate a lower contract, or let him test free agency and still have a good chance of re-signing him, because, contrary to us, the relationship is not soured.

We've invested a 3OA pick on this guy and have to structure the salary cap of our future core in the next two years. The only way it looks good for us is if we take the compensation and then Kotkaniemi turns out to be nothing more than a #3C. But then again, it would mean that we f***ed up another 3OA pick.

Sublime Maestro really has to do some sublime work to make the whole situation look palatable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The 20 bucks signing bonus is a huge f*** off to the Habs. The message is quite clear.
That message came from Carolina.

There were six million other reasons for KK to sign that contract. If it means going along with a 'stick it offer' to Montreal... so be it. He'd be crazy not to take it.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Just trade it away in a package for a more established C on the market like Christian Dvorak? Nope????????
You realize Arizona is not just dying out there waiting to trade Dvorak?

What is the point of suffering losing seasons in order to build up a good center depth if it then turns out to be a mirage and you have to go out and overpay for Dvorak?

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
What I don't understand if the rumours of the Hurricanes trying to trade for him are real, is what was the Hurricanes offer and how close was it to the 1st and 3rd compensation? To try and steal him with an offer sheet of 6.1 it must've been better than a 1st and a 2nd right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad