Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Where I think the investment really needs to be made is in youth soccer. I'd put 90% of my resources into that, particularly the development of qualified coaches and better fields.

Nah, I think the volunteer who seeks all his knowledge from viewing World Cups, and watching demo videos on Youtube is good enough.

"Hey guys, just go long and the midfield will just kick it down the field. I seen most goals happen this way."
"On D, just stay back and just defend. We will put our fattest kids there since it appears to require little running."
"Good effort. You lost 8-0 and barely broke a sweat, but we are still going out for pizza."

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I was really hoping it was the German version of the Beaverton... What an absolute tragedy.

I have said this on numerous occasions. I was forced to relocate to Italy for a few years in the very early 2000s to avoid the domestic soccer program at the youth level.Going from a free-style of play where coaches didn't give a shit about the play or formations and games would be cancelled if it was raining or too warm.... to being verbally reprimanded for abandoning formation in 30+ degree heat was very difficult, however I did development 10x more into a better MF. I didn't pan out but yeah...

The answer is somewhere in the middle though. Structure and formation is definitely needed at the youth level and serves the foundation of ones development.

Reactions: maclean

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well Nigeria just beat Australia 3-2. So that moves Nigeria to the top of the table.

This is result complicates things :laugh:

Now Nigeria is in the drivers seat for top of the group and Canada will now face a desperate host nation in their final match.

There will be tons of pressure on the Aussies to win.

A draw will be enough for Canada to advance, but Monday has just become a much different match than I was expecting.

Ireland beating Nigeria is unlikely, but wouldn't totally shock me either.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
The Australia game just became huge. They'll be playing to try to advance as the hosts.

Group is crazy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well Nigeria just beat Australia 3-2. So that moves Nigeria to the top of the table.

This is result complicates things :laugh:

Now Nigeria is in the drivers seat for top of the group and Canada will now face a desperate host nation in their final match.

There will be tons of pressure on the Aussies to win.

A draw will be enough for Canada to advance, but Monday has just become a much different match than I was expecting.

Ireland beating Nigeria is unlikely, but wouldn't totally shock me either.
Yeah, playing a host in a most win situation is not ideal. We can count on some shady reffing for sure.

Reactions: Tuggy

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Go for the win, finishing first is much better than second in terms of who you play in the round of 16.

I don't disagree. But losing the match and missing the round of 16 would be a deathblow to Priestman's position, IMO. Failing to advance out of the group stages has to be an unacceptable outcome.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't disagree. But losing the match and missing the round of 16 would be a deathblow to Priestman's position, IMO. Failing to advance out of the group stages has to be an unacceptable outcome.
Missing out on the round 16 of 16 would be catastrophic for Bev, but I think finishing second and losing in the round of 16 wouldn't do her any favours either.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Is this a deathblow for funding increases Canada needs?
OMG Canada gets lucky to get a goal called back and then they give up another and now its 2-0 again. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Seriously the Canadian women's team had been lucky as hell to win that Olympic gold medal and then they lucked out on beating Ireland last game and now they're getting exposed like crazy by the Aussies. Don't know why they keep calling for equal pay when they're not proving they deserve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad