Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was surprised to see her start the first match to be honest.
I think they saw that game as her best opportunity to break the record of scoring in consecutive world cups.

Another great chance there. What a ball from Lawrence.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, and that's the OTHER problem.

Not only our women cannot play professionally in Canada... the National federation is broke af because they gave the CPL owners all of the commercial rights for a ridiculous flat fee of 3M per year... at a KEY moment in Canadian soccer. If they had managed the growth smartly, we would not have those problems.

Imagine how the players feel also. They are playing for a federation that gives them 0 help.

We do have access to the US developmental programme (via the NCAA) and I assume a lot of exposure to American managers.

Our professional sports are usually pretty integrated with the US.

The CFL is an exception but it also has its own rules.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We do have access to the US developmental programme (via the NCAA) and I assume a lot of exposure to American managers.

Our professional sports are usually pretty integrated with the US.
Ummm nope.. We don't have the same youth level development and cannot tap into it. Canadians can access D1 scholarships but they are not as readily available for international students.

The NWSL also favours American development over Canadians, so if you are a bubble players where do you go to develop? This is where we need the infrastructure and Canadians women's pro league. A league designed for providing Canadians players with more opportunity at a high level.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ummm nope.. We don't have the same youth level development and cannot tap into it. Canadians can access D1 scholarships but they are not as readily available for international students.

The NWSL also favours American development over Canadians, so if you are a bubble players where do you go to develop? This is where we need the infrastructure and Canadians women's pro league. A league designed for providing Canadians players with more opportunity at a high level.
When they started CPL, they should have started WCPL at the same time and force the owners to run BOTH programs.

Sure, it would have needed subsidies at first, but we HAVE to continue to be at the forefront of womens sport, especially soccer considering it is the sport most played by girls (and boys).

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Amazing how a couple players can make such a huge difference in the whole squad. The first half was so disjointed... effort was there, but with no cohesion there was almost no purpose to the play.

Schmidt in the middle making everyone better, and Sinclair creating space was huge. Felt Lacasse was a difference maker as well.

We could have had 4 or 5 legit goals in this one.

All that matters is that we had enough. Good win!!

Big one on the horizon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I mean, our top basketball talent all goes to the US as well. Sometimes at the high school level (a friend of mine's son goes to prep school in Texas for basketball, just as my colleague's son went to prep school on the East Coast for hockey).

My wife played provincial level soccer, and all of her teammates ended up in the NCAA. Quite a few didn't stay because the pressure was immense at the varsity level at sporting schools and they really don't put much of a premium on their education.

At the very highest level, I think our top players will always end up there or overseas and we do have the capacity to tap into the US at a level that the rest of the world can't or won't. (geographic and cultural proximity etc.)

I get what you are saying about bubble players and opportunity, but I still doubt that you'll ever see our very best play at home in their prime when there are better teams elsewhere.

Is the idea that Canada will have a league that rivals the European Champions League or the NWSL?

No, that would never ever happen. It'll be a nice feeder league and good for the sport but I don't know how much impact it would have on our high-end talent and the national side.

Where I think the investment really needs to be made is in youth soccer. I'd put 90% of my resources into that, particularly the development of qualified coaches and better fields.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Amazing how a couple players can make such a huge difference in the whole squad. The first half was so disjointed... effort was there, but with no cohesion there was almost no purpose to the play.

Schmidt in the middle making everyone better, and Sinclair creating space was huge. Felt Lacasse was a difference maker as well.

We could have had 4 or 5 legit goals in this one.

All that matters is that we had enough. Good win!!

Big one on the horizon.

Yeah, I was going to give a shoutout to Lacasse as well.

Reactions: wingman75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad