Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
McCabe, Oshoala, Kerr. Every team in our group seems to have a gamebreaking player that we just don't have at this point.

We are solid, don't get me wrong. But there is no one on the team that can take a game over imo.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This Canada side is a mish mash of brain farts and terrible touches/decision making inside the 18 yard box. They are good enough to beat Ireland and previously Nigeria, but they are beating themselves now.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Honestly Ireland is simply outworking Canada.

Canada playing so slow and making questionable decisions all over the pitch.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
McCabe, Oshoala, Kerr. Every team in our group seems to have a gamebreaking player that we just don't have at this point.

We are solid, don't get me wrong. But there is no one on the team that can take a game over imo.
And it will get worse as time goes by as we do not have a proper development infrastructure for female players (we BARELY have one for males).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
And it will get worse as time goes by as we do not have a proper development infrastructure for female players (we BARELY have one for males).
It's true. With many European Nations investing more in the womens game, we are going to get left behind if nothing changes.

I still think we can win this game, once we get a goal it should spark something in this team. Just need to find that first.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This is pretty brutal to watch imo. Canada is clearly the better team generally, but as soon as they get in the final third, they look like a bunch of school kids just messing around. Zero authority. Feels like the Canadian players absolutely lose all sense of ability when they are in the dangerous areas.

That being said. 1-1 wooooooooooooooooooo

lol

Reactions: Tuggy

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Big goal, but they have to come out of this with a win. A few changes could change their fortune. Despite my negative comments I want them to win badly. It would be nice if they went on to the next round.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's true. With many European Nations investing more in the womens game, we are going to get left behind if nothing changes.

I still think we can win this game, once we get a goal it should spark something in this team. Just need to find that first.
Yup, that's what scares me.

Not only are they investing more... but they already have VERY good structures to build of off. Basically all the big clubs in Europe have a womens team... and they promote the product (include as many female players as man players in club marketing). Heck, this year, we saw a big growth with the Emirates selling out for the semi final of the CL and Wembley being sold out.

The gap will only grow if we do not wake up.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

We cannot even afford to play friendlies, let alone practice (see the U17's) and it's only going to get worse since the country is seeing growing inequality.

Canada is the country where lots of money flows through but never finds its way into social programs. The CSA is no different. The funds get pocketed or outright evaporate due to the short sighted stupidity of wanting to make a quick buck.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We cannot even afford to play friendlies, let alone practice (see the U17's) and it's only going to get worse since the country is seeing growing inequality.
Yeah, and that's the OTHER problem.

Not only our women cannot play professionally in Canada... the National federation is broke af because they gave the CPL owners all of the commercial rights for a ridiculous flat fee of 3M per year... at a KEY moment in Canadian soccer. If they had managed the growth smartly, we would not have those problems.

Imagine how the players feel also. They are playing for a federation that gives them 0 help.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Its been a week of games and so far ONLY ONE MATCH where both teams have scored in a game and it still holds true here when Ireland has scored both goals. :laugh:

Seriously Canada is lucky to be tied because they don't look all that threatening offensively as they usually don't when playing on the world stage. Really rare to see them score more than a goal or two per match.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There's something wonky in this country when more people play soccer than any other sport and yet we can't get a solid system going.

The craziest thing is the local soccer program near me (for 10 year olds) asks YOU to buy your kids uniform which has Tim Hortons and Esso logos on it and also asks YOU to pay for the program when they primarly rely on volunteers and practice and play at schools, and use goal posts without nets.

It just epitomizes how pathetic and screwed up it is here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad