Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers to sign Dermott, assign Philp, waive J. Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue to minors.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There is no way Holland would waive a guy who just signed a 3 year deal and bought a house in Edmonton though.
Playing the hypothetical game there's also a question that Holland would make Brown a day 1 signing priority with money and term. Jackson's group have come to a fairly easy conclusion on a guy they signed when free agency opened for organizational depth as a #7 or 8. Brown can get his frequent flyer points up and down between Bako and Edmonton if/when this team needs a big, physical face-puncher.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Now here comes the test. If anyone else in the NHL see value in Lavoie and Rodrigue

From what little I saw in the preseason--Josh Brown did nothing that would move him up the food chain and get a spot on opening day

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Samuel Bolduc on waivers.

Spent too much time injured last year for my liking

Speaking of players who are injured. Can someone explain to me why the Oilers traded for Roby Jarventie knowing full well he is injured and according to some sens fans--he might not play this year. I realize we did not give much for him. But I am curious in the logic of trading for a player who might not play this season.

If I am wrong about Jarventie--let me know

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Speaking of players who are injured. Can someone explain to me why the Oilers traded for Roby Jarventie knowing full well he is injured and according to some sens fans--he might not play this year. I realize we did not give much for him. But I am curious in the logic of trading for a player who might not play this season.

Apparently the new “injury” is conditioning for the other knee. If that’s the case, he’s not really injured

Some might recall knee injuries can take some time to heal from and be 100% (ex: C. Brown)

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Can’t see any claims on waivers for us. If there is any upgrades from the claims it would be marginal and we know what we have on the team.

Lavoie most likely goes though so not a worry. Philip will be a paper move? Or not needing waivers will be a plus. He will play games with the team this year for sure.

Perry gets crapped on a lot here but as a fourth line player he is probably exactly what we want.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Like goaltending, defenceman take longer to develop. He has size with over 150 + pro games under his belt. Would be a decent gamble.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton

Maybe insurance if Lavoie was/is claimed on waivers, and the cost was a probable first round flop.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like goaltending, defenceman take longer to develop. He has size with over 150 + pro games under his belt. Would be a decent gamble.

I understand it takes longer for big guys to develop--but my issue is even here in Europe he had trouble staying healthy. HIs first full year in the AHL with the sens he only missed 2 games but since then he has misses something like 70 games due to injury.

And admit my comment is fueled by the fact it looks like Wallstedt has made the Wild this year. Many of us tossed out toys out of our collective prams when the oiles traded down to take Muzenberger and Bourgault(who of course has now been traded). A few of compared it to the trade we made in the 17th in 2003 for the picks of Marc Pouliot and JF Jaques. I always curious how the dark era would have looked different if we had kept the pick and took Zack Parise.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It looks like Jarventie has a 107k season opening IR cap hit on PuckPedia.com

I'm not a cap expert so does that limit the amount of cap space the Oilers can accrue?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Should bring back Omark and Lander while they are it.

For the life of me I could never understand why Lander or Paajarvi did not make more of an impact in the NHL. More Lander than Paajarvi. Lander I thought would have developed into a perfect 3rd line center. He has carved out a nice little career here in Europe

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can’t see any claims on waivers for us. If there is any upgrades from the claims it would be marginal and we know what we have on the team.

Lavoie most likely goes though so not a worry. Philip will be a paper move? Or not needing waivers will be a plus. He will play games with the team this year for sure.

Perry gets crapped on a lot here but as a fourth line player he is probably exactly what we want.

Perry still plays with a little edge and that could come in handy. If he plays 60+ games I will be concerned.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Is Brannstrom not a more accomplished defenseman than Travis Dermott? Also a stronger puck mover?
Its hard to move the puck when you are fishing it out of the back of your own net, hence Dermott has more value. Just because passing is his best asset does not mean its better than others. His puck skills are less than Ceci's (3X the turnovers, less assists).

Dermott is really not my favorite player at all, but at least he can play some tougher minutes and does not turn the puck over.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Its hard to move the puck when you are fishing it out of the back of your own net, hence Dermott has more value. Just because passing is his best asset does not mean its better than others. His puck skills are less than Ceci's (3X the turnovers, less assists).

Dermott is really not my favorite player at all, but at least he can play some tougher minutes and does not turn the puck over.
You realize Brannstrom had the lowest GA/60 on the Sens D last year, right?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Henrique? He centered arguably the best 3rd line of the entire playoffs. I'm not worried about Henrique at all in that role.
He was. Henrique was a good addition and a great re-sign at a reported discount. Not sure who in the system would be an equivalent or an upgrade for the type of game Henrique plays, if they didn’t fill spots like that with some battle tested players.

All this moaning about signing vets is actually quite comical. If they had let all the vets go and filled spots with untested rookies there would be equal squawking about that. Sometimes people can’t be pleased.

I’m ready for the regular season to start. (At least if we’re gonna bitch, let’s make it about something real).

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
For the life of me I could never understand why Lander or Paajarvi did not make more of an impact in the NHL. More Lander than Paajarvi. Lander I thought would have developed into a perfect 3rd line center. He has carved out a nice little career here in Europe
And Lander showed potential one season too. Scored 20 points in less than 40 games, but never built up on it. Who knows. The Oilers don't do well developing Swedish/Finnish prospects (Paajarvi, Lander, JP, now Broberg). Maybe the problem of club culture. On top of that the team was bad and there was a mess with the management and head coaches coming and going almost every year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kind of seems like he'd be an ideal pick up.

Checks a lot of boxes. Strong passing numbers, retrievals, exits and entries.
Question is if the $125k extra in cap hit (assuming Dermott signed league min) would be worth it for what is going to be the #7 guy. He’s not going to play ahead of Kulak and the fact he’s a LD precludes him from playing over Stetcher does it not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad