Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess Canada is going to be the group stage burnout team we see in every tournament.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seriously the Canadian women's team had been lucky as hell to win that Olympic gold medal and then they lucked out on beating Ireland last game and now they're getting exposed like crazy by the Aussies. Don't know why they keep calling for equal pay when they're not proving they deserve it.
What do you mean by deserve it? I was at all 3 games in Qatar and I don't remember the Men's team grabbing 4 points and being in contention on the final group stage match day...

Both the Mens and Womens programs are struggling when it comes to the financial side of things. They want the same thing, enough money to host some friendlies and training camps...

Reactions: Pink Mist

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
What do you mean by deserve it? I was at all 3 games in Qatar and I don't remember the Men's team grabbing 4 points and being in contention on the final group stage match day...

Both the Mens and Womens programs are struggling when it comes to the financial side of things. They want the same thing, enough money to host some friendlies and training camps...
The men's team had to actually work hard in qualifiers just to make it to the World Cup by winning so many games and beating out a number of other nations and then they played decently in 2 of 3 games at the WC.

The women's team gets into the World Cup by default and they've rarely looked good in most of their matches. I don't think I've ever watched the Canadian's women's team and have come away thinking they were a great team that could dominate the opposition. Who knows maybe more funding might help, but I'm not convinced and as for the female players asking for more money? Yeah I don't know why they deserve it with their results and how much harder the men's team has to work just to qualify for the World Cup.

At least with the men there's good interest and hype and you could see people coming out to the bars and restaurants around the country to watch the games together. Here there's barely any excitement for the women's team and for the women's World Cup in general. So why should men and women get paid equally or nearly so?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
fr, looks like they checked their bags before the game started

Sucks for Sinclair, only needed the one goal to enter the record books again but that doesn't seem likely now, barring a miracle.

Would at least be the one positive to take away from what appears to be a very short tourney.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The men's team had to actually work hard in qualifiers just to make it to the World Cup by winning so many games and beating out a number of other nations and then they played decently in 2 of 3 games at the WC.

The women's team gets into the World Cup by default and they've rarely looked good in most of their matches. I don't think I've ever watched the Canadian's women's team and have come away thinking they were a great team that could dominate the opposition. Who knows maybe more funding might help, but I'm not convinced and as for the female players asking for more money? Yeah I don't know why they deserve it with their results and how much harder the men's team has to work just to qualify for the World Cup.

At least with the men there's good interest and hype and you could see people coming out to the bars and restaurants around the country to watch the games together. Here there's barely any excitement for the women's team and for the women's World Cup in general. So why should men and women get paid equally or nearly so?

Because that's fair?

Maybe the womens' team's ongoing battle with Canada Soccer was a distraction, one that affected their mindset here in the group stage. Hardly an excuse, to be sure, but I'm sure it's been a sticking point for a while now and something they're going to continue focusing on once they're back home.

Reactions: robertmac43

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I've never seen Canada this frazzled especially in such a crucial game. Australia pk may add more on

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

You brought up the Women wanting more pay twice in that write up... I think you are missing the point. Sure they want more money, who doesn't, but right now the fight is not for equal pay, it's to literally have the funding needed to train, hold camps, friendlies, travel to competitions early, etc.

Both sides of the program are being screwed by Canada Soccer.

When it comes to qualification, sure, the Women have an easier trip through CONCACAF. They are not measured on the qualifying though, they are measured on winning and competing for Golds. Which they ended up doing and due to that they have earned some funding. This World Cup is complete and utter failure though, I totally agree on that front.

As for the hype, the Men's game is just bigger worldwide and has more followers so I get that. Games were also post 8 am local EST which helps with building the hype.

This is kind of funny.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Because that's fair?

Maybe the womens' team's ongoing battle with Canada Soccer was a distraction, one that affected their mindset here in the group stage. Hardly an excuse, to be sure, but I'm sure it's been a sticking point for a while now and something they're going to continue focusing on once they're back home.
How is it fair? Equal pay for equal work right? Men's team definitely had to work far, FAR harder just to make it into the World Cup than the women's team ever will because they'll always get in by default with the lack of competition in the women's game.

Men also bring in more money, more interest and more fans than the women's team ever will. Don't know by what any measure do the women deserve to be paid the same as the men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad