Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think the resilts are what I expected. The rest of the globe is surpassing them.

Sad to say but Canadian womans football has likely peaked. Special f*** you to the CSA who profitted off the success and then f***ed the entire program up.

Was a good 9 years and at least they have the gold to show for it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the resilts are what I expected. The rest of the globe is surpassing them.

Sad to say but Canadian womans football has likely peaked. Special f*** you to the CSA who profitted off the success and then f***ed the entire program up.

Was a good 9 years and at least they have the gold to show for it.
I feel wildly mad at the CSA right now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would've at least given her that sixth WC goal....not sure if Marta's netted one yet either or if she's going to be held off the scoresheet as well.

Forgettable performance by Canada, no doubt.
Nothing yet for Marta. If their game goes well against the Jamaicans she should see some minutes at the end of the game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I feel wildly mad at the CSA right now.
Ultimately it circles back to what I said with corruption in Canada. We need to follow the money. Funds seem to just vanish, even at the local level where it's mostly volunteer driven and the parents are forced to fundraise or buy equipment for their kids to play while also being forced to wear kits showing logos from corporate sponsors. I seen this first hand.

You are going to get a terrible product if you put shit into it.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't know how good Australia is, but this is a disgrace. This kind of effort and result from a must win/ draw?

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Australia's best player wasn't even playing and they laid down

The worst effort I've seen in casually watching Canada throughout these years. Canada is a women's football powerhouse that has done well including winning a gold medal but this tournament they just looked flat

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The worst effort I've seen in casually watching Canada throughout these years. Canada is a women's football powerhouse that has done well including winning a gold medal but this tournament they just looked flat
The "powerhouse' label may not fit us anymore. We have been more the flat team than the one that won gold unfortunately.

Reactions: canucksfan

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
How is it fair? Equal pay for equal work right? Men's team definitely had to work far, FAR harder just to make it into the World Cup than the women's team ever will because they'll always get in by default with the lack of competition in the women's game.

Men also bring in more money, more interest and more fans than the women's team ever will. Don't know by what any measure do the women deserve to be paid the same as the men.
Men dont work any harder. What a stupid statement. Its just harder for them to get to where the Cdn womens team can get to cause the mens team are not as good as the women relative to their competition.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Men dont work any harder. What a stupid statement. Its just harder for them to get to where the Cdn womens team can get to cause the mens team are not as good as the women relative to their competition.

I feel like you're both saying the same thing......globally the women's team is higher ranked, better than their competition - this year's WWC notwithstanding. So the men's team would need to "work harder" in order to qualify, because their competition is a lot better.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Once again, the WNT shits the bed at the World Cup. Sinclair's missed PK looms large. I know she's a GOAT, but you simply can't afford to blow those opportunities at the WC.

All they needed to do was *not* lose against Australia. So of course they go on to get absolutely thumped just to ensure that can't even win the tiebreaker in case Ireland beats Nigeria.

It really seems like the WNT is settling in to becoming a 2nd or 3rd tier team at the international level -- whatever the advantage they had at being an "early adopter" on the women's side of the game has been squandered away. I've watched many of the other matches and it's clear the rest of the world is catching up to the traditionally stronger nations.

I'll casually cheer them on in the future, but I'm not willing to invest too much emotional energy into a program that looks like it's peaked. The current dysfunction with Soccer Canada only reinforces my feelings.

FWIW, I feel the same way about men's side. I'm just giving them until the 2026 WC.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I feel like you're both saying the same thing......globally the women's team is higher ranked, better than their competition - this year's WWC notwithstanding. So the men's team would need to "work harder" in order to qualify, because their competition is a lot better.
No. They dont work harder. Its just harder for them to get to the same place. It doesn't mean they have to work harder.
Its 2 totally different things.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not saying that the men necessarily trained harder than the women do. I'm saying they had to play many more matches just to qualify to get into the World Cup. There's no disputing that that required more time and effort to get to the WC than the women did. Men's team played like 24 matches while the womens team played like 5 matches to reach the WC. Even without the extra qualification matches for their lower ranking, the minimum number of matches they still had to play to qualify would be 14. That's a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE don't you think?

Its not unlike grandslam tennis where the men and women may train just as hard in between tournaments, but the men ALWAYS have to play much, MUCH more than the women do to win the championship and to earn the same amount of money that the women do. Men's Wimbledon final was 5 sets and 5+ hours while the women's finals was a relative quick 2 sets and probably not even 2 hours and yet both champions walked away with the same amount of prize money. This doesn't even include all the long matches that the men have to play just to reach the finals that the women never have to play. So yes the men DID have to work harder and longer for the same goal.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada’s issue for the last several years has been offense.

Sinclair is no longer good enough to carry the team, and they’ve lost solid forward talents like Tancredi over the years without really finding replacements for them.

Huitema isn’t ready to be the focal forward and may not ever be.

And they were also without Beckie this time, who plays a key role in the offense.

Yes, they won gold, but that was because they had the defensive performance of a lifetime. Gilles and Labbe were unreal in that tournament. Converting penalties also helped.

If they don’t develop some better forward talent soon, it’ll be a long and painful descent into mediocrity.

Also, and I said this even after the gold medal, but while Priestman is a good defensive tactician, I’m not sure she’s able to get the most offense out of this group. Herdman wasn’t as good defensively, but he encouraged his players to play with flair and energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Full disclosure. I'm a casual fan and only watch the national team in big tournaments.

They were so woeful defensively against Australia. The 2nd and 3rd goals were a joke. I don't understand why Zadorsky isn't starting. She is captain of an WSL team.

I agree Sinclair was really bad. Her touch was awful and deserved to be hooked at half time.

If Priestman didn't have currency winning the Olympic gold, i'll consider asking for her to be replaced. But really it wasn't the performance against Australia that cost them qualification to round of 16. It was the Nigeria performance and unfortunate missed penalty.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sinclair is no longer good enough to carry the team, and they’ve lost solid forward talents like Tancredi over the years without really finding replacements for them.
Scares me that Schmidt was one of the better attacking threats in her minutes. 35 years old and now retired. Another attacker we will need to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad