C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thought he looked pretty good in his first preseason game. You can tell he's put a lot of work into his first step and conditioning, which was an issue for him last year.

Hopefully he keeps it up. I really think falling so far could end up being the best thing for him. He just needs to put his head down and do the work, he's talented enough to be a player but not talented enough to do it without effort.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
He resembled an NHL player, not a wholly productive one and did make some ill advised passes, but his short passing game enabled possession for his team more often than not. Looked quicker than I remembered as well.

Don't necessarily think he should stay in the NHL, there is some experimentation and growth in his offensive toolset that would be gained from dominating junior (something he has not quite achieved yet), but his first performance does not make this path a forgone conclusion.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Pace was better. Shot still excellent (esp. on PP). Still extremely weak. Will need to avoid trafic. He’ll need to put up a lot of points to convince the Kraken to keep him up in the NHL.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Pace was better. Shot still excellent (esp. on PP). Still extremely weak. Will need to avoid trafic. He’ll need to put up a lot of points to convince the Kraken to keep him up in the NHL.
We’ll see how he looks in the other games in terms of point production. I thought he looked decent. I like him a lot on that right D side on the power play and he could put up decent numbers with that shot alone. I thought his skating was pretty decent as well.

But you’re right, he is small. He needs to build that frame. Overall, I think one more year of juniors would do him wonders. But, I think he could still be a decent NHLer right now.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
We’ll see how he looks in the other games in terms of point production. I thought he looked decent. I like him a lot on that right D side on the power play and he could put up decent numbers with that shot alone. I thought his skating was pretty decent as well.

But you’re right, he is small. He needs to build that frame. Overall, I think one more year of juniors would do him wonders. But, I think he could still be a decent NHLer right now.
I thought he probably worked on his conditioning and stamina over the summer as his pace was better. He was more aggressive on the back check and forecheck. But it’s hard to work on everything at once. If he would have put as much time on diet, weight gain and strength training this off season as Beniers, he could not have made the same gains elsewhere.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
so happy we passed on this kid tbh
Umm why? So far he has looked better than Slafkovsky.
Slaf looks a step behind everywhere … he should figure it out but still.
I know it’s waaaayyyyy too early to pass judgement but it is very odd that you say this when nothing at all has happened to warrant sayig “I’m so glad we passed on this kid”…

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I know it’s waaaayyyyy too early to pass judgement but it is very odd that you say this when nothing at all has happened to warrant sayig “I’m so glad we passed on this kid”…
keep in mind that you responded to a guy that has a troll poll up in which he claims that slafkovsky will be better than auston matthews in 3 years.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Was watching Shane pretty closely when playing my Nucks last night in preseason. He does not look 18.
He wasn't tilting the ice by any means, but he's already got a good overall game and plays like a pro.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire

Can you elaborate on that? I thought Wright had looked pretty good. I like Slaf but I do think there is a higher likelihood of Wright being a better player based on the tools he possesses right now.

by all accounts Shane is a bit of a headcase and was too scared to go to Europe during the pandemic,, i want a player that lives eats and breathes hockey and not to mention the size difference

Cubs2024wildcard

Korchinski for AHL All Star LOL
Apr 29, 2015
by all accounts Shane is a bit of a headcase and was too scared to go to Europe during the pandemic,, i want a player that lives eats and breathes hockey and not to mention the size difference
Um….Most kids with an NHL dream “lives,eats,and breathes” hockey. To think a kid didn’t want to travel during a pandemic as a knock on his character is a horrible take.

What if his parents didn’t want him to go?

Like what I see so far, but think juniors is the sound choice.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Um….Most kids with an NHL dream “lives,eats,and breathes” hockey. To think a kid didn’t want to travel during a pandemic as a knock on his character is a horrible take.

What if his parents didn’t want him to go?

Like what I see so far, but think juniors is the sound choice.
Would be the most Canadian thing if a Kid ran away from home in order to play Hockey overseas.:laugh:

Surprised CBC hasn't made a terrible movie based off such a plot.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Kids from NA don't even go to Europe, only a handful went due to covid and they still don't even go afterwards, only Matthews has done this beforehand and that's cause he was a late draft and had Marc Crawford vouch for him in Zurich. Mute point.

Also Wright has looked better in preseason, although not by much honestly.

Reactions: Bubbles

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Thought he looked pretty good in his first preseason game. You can tell he's put a lot of work into his first step and conditioning, which was an issue for him last year.

Hopefully he keeps it up. I really think falling so far could end up being the best thing for him. He just needs to put his head down and do the work, he's talented enough to be a player but not talented enough to do it without effort.
^^ Well said. ^^

I think another year in junior would serve him well. And, most importantly, I want to see him at the World Juniors <-- purely for selfish reasons.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Kids from NA don't even go to Europe, only a handful went due to covid and they still don't even go afterwards, only Matthews has done this beforehand and that's cause he was a late draft and had Marc Crawford vouch for him in Zurich. Mute point.

Also Wright has looked better in preseason, although not by much honestly.
I thought Wright’s pace was much better than last season. He back-checked and forechecked hard. His shots gave goalies trouble.

Reactions: majormajor and cg98

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Really glad he fell to Seattle, he'll be the best player in the draft class and Seattle deserved it after losing out in these lotteries

Wright and Beniers is a 1 2 punch at centre you can run with for a generation
Hope you're right.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Really glad he fell to Seattle, he'll be the best player in the draft class and Seattle deserved it after losing out in these lotteries

Wright and Beniers is a 1 2 punch at centre you can run with for a generation
I do think he will end up better than Slafkovsky but right now Nemec looks the best out of the big 3. Nemec is already NHL ready from what I've seen during pre season. Massive upside to be a completely dominant top d man. His skill is off the charts.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He’s a good player, man. I think he’s looked really good. He’s starting to adjust to the pace really well and he’s making some good plays out there. I think he’s had good compete level as well despite avoiding contact at times dude to his slight frame.

He’s definitely going to get 9 games at least but don’t be shocked to see him full time in the NHL. I think he’ll get better as the year goes on.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't see much of a choice for Wright other then NHL. His OHL team is coached badly and sucks and I doubt he feels like going to college or going to europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad