C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Yeah those 2022 Olympics featuring NHL stars such as Adam Tambellini, Teemu Hartikainen, Roman Cervenka and Sean Farrell?
They are good players. Technically Cervenka has the NHL level (more talented than Bellemare). Hartikainen will have been very close to the NHL level all his career too.

Slafkovsky's performance was truly significant.

He's not NHL Ready but very few are before 20 in fact. Jack Hughes struggled to stay on his feet when he started out with the Seniors.

It will not necessarily be an offensive player who will explode the points.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They are good players. Technically Cervenka has the NHL level (more talented than Bellemare). Hartikainen will have been very close to the NHL level all his career too.

Slafkovsky's performance was truly significant.

He's not NHL Ready but very few are before 20 in fact. Jack Hughes struggled to stay on his feet when he started out with the Seniors.

It will not necessarily be an offensive player who will explode the points.
Almost all 1st overall picks are NHL ready. The only reason Hughes wasn’t was because he had the body of a 12 year old. Slaf has the body of a cave troll.

As we saw with Kakko (who performed amazing at the WC against way better competition than at the Olymoucs), small sample sizes don’t mean much

But anyways this is the Wright thread so I’ll leave it at that.

Weight has looked like he could easily be a 0.5PPG player this season, which is a great start for Seattle

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Almost all 1st overall picks are NHL ready. The only reason Hughes wasn’t was because he had the body of a 12 year old. Slaf has the body of a cave troll.

As we saw with Kakko (who performed amazing at the WC against way better competition than at the Olymoucs), small sample sizes don’t mean much

Weight has looked like he could easily be a 0.5PPG player this season, which is a great start for Seattle
Wright looks good away from the puck, which is often hard for younger guys.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022

Power, even at 19, hasn't played in the NHL.

Lafreniere, even at 19, struggled in the NHL.

Some make illusions when the circumstances are favorable around them.

Which player born after 2002 is currently NHL Ready ? And by NHL Ready, I mean ready to perform in the NHL. Not playing in the NHL while struggling.

Wright isn't ready for the NHL either. Yes, he can score points in the NHL but he clearly does not have the real level.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I don't see much of a choice for Wright other then NHL. His OHL team is coached badly and sucks and I doubt he feels like going to college or going to europe.
He can't go to college...Well and play hockey there anyway.

This is why high draft picks should be AHL eligible. Maybe one "underager" per year.

Reactions: Fenris and Fatass
Mar 12, 2009
did not know, seems sort of weird that the CHL has the power to stop a person from getting an education.
The NCAA view the CHL as a professional league; it is the NCAA's rule that once you've played in the CHL you can no longer play in the NCAA.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
NCAA is basically a cartel making millions of dollar and leaving their star player to fend for themselve. As soon as you make some money you're banned.

Yup. NCAA coaches get paid handsomely and the teams make millions. Yet any player who receives any kind of compensation is shamed. The NCAA cares zero about development and getting kids an education. They care only about making $$$ for themselves. Any argument to the contrary is just NCAA propaganda.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He played 8 games after signing last year and looked great.

He only went back because his college experience was destroyed by Covid and he wanted to take a run at both a title and having an actual college season. He could, and would, have been an opening night starter last year. It wouldn’t have even been a discussion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Which player born after 2002 is currently NHL Ready ? And by NHL Ready, I mean ready to perform in the NHL. Not playing in the NHL while struggling.

Wright isn't ready for the NHL either. Yes, he can score points in the NHL but he clearly does not have the real level.
Bedard seems like he'll be ready to play at 18.

It's quite rare for a first-overall forward to not be NHL-ready in their D+1. I think you have to go back 30 years to see a case where a first overall didn't start their D+1 in the NHL. Lindros holding out is the last example I can think of. Prior to that, I believe Sundin.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Another uneventful game for Wright, he had a couple of weak shots in the first but otherwise he was a non-factor.

In three games he's averaging below 15 minutes TOI. Habs fans would be very upset about his usage. He looks weak out there.

Since it's Seattle and they suck maybe he will make the team.

No I'm actually very impressed by Slafkovsky. The guy just turned 18 years old a few months ago and he's 6'3 230. Lots of room to grow.

If you're that size at 18 years and good at hockey collecting awards at the Olympics, it's kind of a big deal.

He was a lot quicker, you're right. Going back to the the OHL right quick like.

1664726150130.png

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Gotta love the Habs fans updating us on how unimpressive Wright has been to them
A bunch of Habs fans still prefer Wright. And some try to be objective. I saw positives in his game. His shot is menacing. He’s improved his pace probably working hard on his conditioning this summer. His speed/skating looks like he fits in around other NHL players.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Bedard seems like he'll be ready to play at 18.

It's quite rare for a first-overall forward to not be NHL-ready in their D+1. I think you have to go back 30 years to see a case where a first overall didn't start their D+1 in the NHL. Lindros holding out is the last example I can think of. Prior to that, I believe Sundin.

I said there were very few players ready for the NHL before they were 20 years old. No none. Yes Bedard will probably be ready for the NHL in a year. Currently, I think he is already better than Wright.

The series was broken. Last year, Power and Beniers weren't in the NHL. I think mentalities are changing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Power chose not to play in the NHL in his D+1 (also yes he did play games when his season was done and thrived).

Lafreniere was not great no, but also buried in the lineup.

As I said, it’s incredibly rare for 1st overall picks to not at least be NHL ready at 18.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said there were very few players ready for the NHL before they were 20 years old. No none. Yes Bedard will probably be ready for the NHL in a year. Currently, I think he is already better than Wright.

The series was broken. Last year, Power and Beniers weren't in the NHL. I think mentalities are changing.
In most cases, an 18-year-old forward is comparable to a 20-year-old D-man, and goalies take longer than that. Hence, why I used forwards as the primary comparable. This draft was fairly weak at the top though, so it wouldn't shock me if all the primary forwards don't see significant time in the show this year.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Power chose not to play in the NHL in his D+1 (also yes he did play games when his season was done and thrived).

Lafreniere was not great no, but also buried in the lineup.

As I said, it’s incredibly rare for 1st overall picks to not at least be NHL ready at 18.
The last to be ready for me is Dahlin after 2 seasons in SHL.

For Hughes, the vast majority of followers thought he would have been better off going to the NCAA.

Lafreniere, Matthews, Power have one more year of hockey. Lafreniere would have wasted his time in the QMJHL but it would have been better to see him in the AHL.

Slafkovsky had a very rapid rise. He played very little in U20, did not have a full season in Senior. A year ago to the day, he was not ready for the Liiga.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
In three games he's averaging below 15 minutes TOI. Habs fans would be very upset about his usage. He looks weak out there.

Since it's Seattle and they suck maybe he will make the team.
Dude... C'mon

Reactions: Wats

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
did not know, seems sort of weird that the CHL has the power to stop a person from getting an education.
For each year a player plays in the CHL, they receive a paid full year at a Canadian University. Even the average Joe bottom 6 player receives this.

This is far better than the NCAA where it is mostly just the golden boys that qualify.

Unless you are going to an Ivy League school (that don’t offer athletic scholarships anyway), you are no farther ahead education-wise in the NCAA than you would be going to going to the CHL -> Canadian University route.

Just in Ontario, I would put the quality of a degree from Western (one of the best business schools in the world), Waterloo (one of the best engineering programs in the world), U of T (ranked best in the country) or Queens (I mean, the richest man in the world got a degree from here) up against the quality of any degree one would receive from Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, BC etc.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

"They have a cave troll" - Boromir

Reactions: TommyKillian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad