C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
I just wanna say he shows great flashes. Just needs to be consistent. Then youll see him make a bad pass through the neutral zone and it gets dumped down. Once he gets comfortable I think Shane’s going to be a legit guy. That little play with Jordan was nice. Still wanna see more though. Still early

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Few things i have noticed from HF messages.

He is able to play defense at NHL level.
His offensive zone abilities are not yet par with what is required at NHL level.

Do the Kraken need him?, i mean, does he make the line up better
Is it smart to rush him to the NHL?, should he develop more
I think his offensive game is ahead of his defensive game, but both are probably a bit lacking right now.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I just wanna say he shows great flashes. Just needs to be consistent. Then youll see him make a bad pass through the neutral zone and it gets dumped down. Once he gets comfortable I think Shane’s going to be a legit guy. That little play with Jordan was nice. Still wanna see more though. Still early
He's definitely shown talent, but I think at this point he's proven he's not ready

4gp 0g 1a -1 8 SOG is a pretty poor stat line, especially with the amount of PP time he's gotten (and his assist is on the PP), and I don't think it's an unfair representation if his play.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He's definitely shown talent, but I think at this point he's proven he's not ready

4gp 0g 1a -1 8 SOG is a pretty poor stat line, especially with the amount of PP time he's gotten (and his assist is on the PP), and I don't think it's an unfair representation if his play.

Can't read the article, but sounds like he's playing in the nhl this year because the Kraken are looking to compete

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can't read the article, but sounds like he's playing in the nhl this year because the Kraken are looking to compete

Here's the chunk from the article:

And in case it was in doubt, I did make sure to ask whether Wright would be starting the year in Seattle.

“I would believe he’s starting the season in Seattle,” Francis said.

For the whole season, for sure, I asked?

“I don’t want to draw a line in the sand, but I would think he’s with us for the year,” Francis said. “It’s just a matter of how things go and managing it. … But I think he’ll be fine. He’s fit right in. He does a lot of good things.”

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
How has he looked compared to Owen Beck?

Any non-MTL/SEA fan who watched both?

Beck is far more complete. A lot more confidence. He really impressed me.

Wright has shown some high offensive IQ on a few plays but the work without the puck still needs work.

If you asked me who looks more ready for the NHL I would say Beck but if you asked me who looks like they'll put up more points I would say Wright.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Why is that a mistake?

This idea players are ruined in the pros...is bullshit imo.
I don't think it's bullshit at all. Confidence is an incredibly important part of development. Rushing prospects can ruin that confidence, and there's no guarantee that it ever comes back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yikes I think that would be a mistake. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Why is it a mistake? If the things they think Wright needs to work on are things they can teach him better at the NHL level rather than hope his goofball junior coach can teach him, why not?

The things he probably needs the most work on are away from the puck play and decision making at the NHL level. He's not learning that playing in Kingston.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Why is it a mistake? If the things they think Wright needs to work on are things they can teach him better at the NHL level rather than hope his goofball junior coach can teach him, why not?

The things he probably needs the most work on are away from the puck play and decision making at the NHL level. He's not learning that playing in Kingston.
Ideally he could play in the AHL or get traded from Kingston. But I don't think the NHL is the best place to learn that sort of thing, especially with how weak on he's been on pucks.

Reactions: Nevins

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ideally he could play in the AHL or get traded from Kingston. But I don't think the NHL is the best place to learn that sort of thing, especially with how weak on he's been on pucks.

But that's a strength thing. If his biggest issue is being weak on pucks, then working with a professional hockey team's strength and conditioning coach will help him more than going back to Kingston where he'll be given a membership to Goodlife Fitness and left to his own devices about how to get stronger.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
But that's a strength thing. If his biggest issue is being weak on pucks, then working with a professional hockey team's strength and conditioning coach will help him more than going back to Kingston where he'll be given a membership to Goodlife Fitness and left to his own devices about how to get stronger.
It's hard to get stronger during such a busy schedule. That's what's good about the CHL and especially the NCAA. More gym time.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I don't think it's bullshit at all. Confidence is an incredibly important part of development. Rushing prospects can ruin that confidence, and there's no guarantee that it ever comes back.
Or some players just aren't good enough.

Wright has zero to prove in the OHL. Its better he undertands the scope of what's ahead of him now.

So many recent high picks have gotten passed left and right by players who were developed more patiently.
Or they just weren't that good to begind with.

NHL prospects are drafted waaaay too early. No one knows what you have at 18.

Playing with the better players helps you rdeveloped vs beating up the CHL again.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Or some players just aren't good enough.

Wright has zero to prove in the OHL. Its better he undertands the scope of what's ahead of him now.

Or they just weren't that good to begind with.

NHL prospects are drafted waaaay too early. No one knows what you have at 18.

Playing with the better players helps you rdeveloped vs beating up the CHL again.
Zero to prove? Did you watch him play last year? Especially in the playoffs?

Reactions: Nevins

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's hard to get stronger during such a busy schedule. That's what's good about the CHL and especially the NCAA. More gym time.

Being weak on pucks isn't just about physical strength, though. It's about anticipation and reading when to shield with your body, when to poke with your stick, and when the best play is to actually back out of the scrum and wait for the puck to come loose.

Again, those are things that NHL coaches will better be able to teach him than he'll learn in Kingston. And even if the assumption is he'll 100% get traded, there's no guarantee the new team will teach him that any better.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Being weak on pucks isn't just about physical strength, though. It's about anticipation and reading when to shield with your body, when to poke with your stick, and when the best play is to actually back out of the scrum and wait for the puck to come loose.

Again, those are things that NHL coaches will better be able to teach him than he'll learn in Kingston. And even if the assumption is he'll 100% get traded, there's no guarantee the new team will teach him that any better.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If he was with any team other then Kingston I would say go back to the OHL but their team sucks and their coach sucks even worse. The only choice for him sadly is the NHL.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If he was with any team other then Kingston I would say go back to the OHL but their team sucks and their coach sucks even worse. The only choice for him sadly is the NHL.
Seattle can easily tell Kingston to trade him or else he‘s not returning and they’ll happily oblige.

Reactions: OSA

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think it makes sense for Wright to make the team. He was always hailed as the most NHL-ready prospect in the draft, so it's no big surprise. If he struggles to make an impact, then they should maybe consider demoting him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it makes sense for Wright to make the team. He was always hailed as the most NHL-ready prospect in the draft, so it's no big surprise. If he struggles to make an impact, then they should maybe consider demoting him.
But he's pretty clearly not "NHL ready".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad