C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Compared to last year he's more than slightly improved.

"It's been obvious for over a year" is off track because he's facing a different problem here. On a shallower roster I do think he could make a top 9. In any case I wouldn't have him in the NHL this year for long term development reasons.

His problem is he's not good enough to be rushed to the NHL. That's been obvious for over a year and that's the point.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Good thing for his development

said no one ever.
Yup. Totally stupid and I don't even need to watch to know that. If he's not going to take a regular shift send him back, healthy scratching a teenager that needs to play doesn't work.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Good thing for his development

said no one ever.
I’ll be the first to say it then I guess. There is nothing wrong with extending his 9 games to allow him to practice with the team and take instruction from coaching staff. People are making way too much of his limited ice time in game one. He is still getting a feel for the professional game.

I think slowly getting him introduced to professional hockey is a good move. Keep him practicing with the team, utilizing team trainers, and learning from coaching staff and teammates for a while.

If he’s not ready for the NHL, he’ll be sent back to Kingston stronger and with a better perspective of what he needs to work on.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ll be the first to say it then I guess. There is nothing wrong with extending his 9 games to allow him to practice with the team and take instruction from coaching staff. People are making way too much of his limited ice time in game one. He is still getting a feel for the professional gameS

I think slowly getting him introduced to professional hockey is a good move. Keep him practicing with the team, utilizing team trainers, and learning from coaching staff and teammates for a while.

If he’s not ready for the NHL, he’ll be sent back to Kingston stronger and with a better perspective of what he needs to work on.

Assuming he isn't scratched too much I'd agree. Missing a few games here and there won't hurt him. The NHL season is probably too long for a teenager anyways, he's never played 80+ games in a year, has he?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Assuming he isn't scratched too much I'd agree. Missing a few games here and there won't hurt him. The NHL season is probably too long for a teenager anyways, he's never played 80+ games in a year, has he?
I’m not saying all hear it would be okay to scratch him. But, extending his 9 games is a great move imo. Keep him until at least November and then make a decision on keeping him or sending him to junior.

Learning the pro game from the press box and in practice will be great for his development along with training in the gym with Seattle’s trainers. He has the skill, he just needs to adapt to pace of play and get stronger.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I’ll be the first to say it then I guess. There is nothing wrong with extending his 9 games to allow him to practice with the team and take instruction from coaching staff. People are making way too much of his limited ice time in game one. He is still getting a feel for the professional gameS

The biggest issue I see is the fact that he's already sat out so much time over the last few years. Missed an entire season, had WJC cancelled, didn't participate in the one this past season, has not had long playoff runs.

On the other hand McTavish went to europe during the pandemic, played in the OHL at 18, went to the WJC in the summer, and had a long playoff run with his jr club. He played every opportunity he could and was allowed to play in Jr at 18 as well as the WJC by his NHL club. Obviously a lot of factors go into development - but playing games at ages 16-18 has to be extremely vital to a player.

I'm not sure we have ever seen a player of Wrights' pedigree at this age miss so much time due to non-injury related circumstances. Obviously a lot is out of his control, but now that he has the opportunity to be playing games again he literally is sitting on the bench or the press box. Wherever I had him as his GM, I would have him playing hockey not sitting more.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The excuse that he didn’t dominate last year was missing a year because of Covid closing down the league.

Bold move to just manufacture more missed games.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What is the point of him playing 6 minutes? Just send him to junior if you don't want him playing.

Reactions: Kalv

Martinez89

May 20, 2019

Maybe it's time to take off your rose-colored glasses finally. Because even yourself probably don't believe that what are you typing here.

Being scratched or playing 6 minutes is the best thing for his development?

My God :huh:. It was the last time in 2019 when everything went fine for Wright. After that, this kid wasn't developed correctly and barely played hockey. He needs to play not sit on the bench. He missed so much hockey in last 2.5 years... so this situation really isn't the best for him as you think.

You think Wright belongs to the NHL right now.

Eeeh no. And it's apparent, Matty Beniers is on a completely different level for example. No one from 2022 is NHL ready. Wright missed 2021 season and last year among juniors wasn't a dominant player and especially in the playoffs was mediocre at best. Also here in the Seattle it's apparent he isn't prepare for the NHL although looks better than last season.

He had enough time to work on things during the 1.5 years while he wasn't playing and it wasn't very beneficial. So I think that he needs to play now as much as possible...

Last edited:
Reactions: Artorius Horus T

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If he's playing 6 minutes and then getting scratched there's no point in Wright beeing on the roster.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Seattle's handling of Wright is certainly slightly concerning, but I wouldn't sound the alarm bells yet. We are two games into the season, and it's not uncommon for an NHL team to want their top prospects to get accustomed to an NHL team and their tendencies before being sent back down. 6 minutes of ice time isn't great, but he experienced an NHL game and got to observe the flow. Watching from the stands gives a different perspective.

Now if this lasts more than a week, then I would be more concerned. But easing a player into an NHL lifestyle before sending them back down (or giving them a larger role) is pretty common. Maybe not for top 5 picks, but hey, COVID years have changed things a bit.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

This sounds about right. I think the Kraken might be hoping to extend it closer to world junior tryout camp, then Kingston might trade him. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Let Wright go through the motions in the NHL instead of junior.

You don't understand. He's also too good for the NHL. He's just bored and not trying.

All kidding aside I hope Wright turns it around and becomes a top flight talent in the NHL. I imagine his camp and Seattle want him moved out of Kingston if and when he returns to the OHL.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So in the OHL, trades for a player of Wright’s caliber will almost always involve a 16 year old 1st round pick from the previous draft.

These 16 year old players can not be traded until and only during a short window in early January.

That means that Wright would unfortunately be stuck in Kingston playing for Luca Caputi until the new year when a trade could happen.

There is the possibility that Kingston could “do the right thing” and accept a good player who is a year older, but the offshoot would be the acquiring team having the draft pick capital to make up for the age difference. I see Barrie probably being able to pull off an enticing deal for Kingston, but not many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad