C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
in open sources on the internets? If so, is there a link?

According to the number of interviews, I can speculate it was Slafkovsky or Wright, with Cooley at 3rd for Mtl. I don’t know if the Devils had Slaf ahead of Nemec? And because they’re set at Center, who knows who they had at 3.

As for Arizona, I think they heavily scouted Cooley and, judging by their comments, they seem to have really fallen in love with him. They didn’t expect to have Wright there. Still, I think Cooley might have been #1 on their list. Then there’s the Xmas comment from Francis, it suggests Wright might have been their #1?

Devils wanted Slaf and would have taken imo if montreal went wright. They didn't need a center. SO it hink it was Slaf nemec wright cooley.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Shane Wright will not need to deal with the whirlwind of 30+ journalists knocking the door down after every home game. Last time Montreal had a 1OA years ago, it did not go well at all…. IMO, he’ll develop better in Seattle. The transition to the NHL will be more seamless.
I think how a market impacts a player is grossly overstated sometimes. Matthews and Marner probably exceeded most reasonable expectations for them at their draft date playing in just as crazy a market at MTL. Most of the Leafs draft top 10 over the past 20 years have lived up to expectations or exceeded them outside of ;;Luke Schenn. Now, what team you go to matters because some markets are pretty notorious for developing their high-end prospects.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think how a market impacts a player is grossly overstated sometimes. Matthews and Marner probably exceeded most reasonable expectations for them at their draft date playing in just as crazy a market at MTL. Most of the Leafs draft top 10 over the past 20 years have lived up to expectations or exceeded them outside of ;;Luke Schenn. Now, what team you go to matters because some markets are pretty notorious for developing their high-end prospects.

Fair enough but Montreal doesn't have a very good track record with first round forwards this century so far.

Also the whole French/English thing with some of the media and fans there isn't exactly the most desirable thing a prospect would want either.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough but Montreal doesn't have a very good track record with first round forwards this century so far.

Also the whole French/English thing with some of the media and fans there isn't exactly the most desirable thing a prospect would want either.
They rushed both Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi. Bergevin probably would have rushed Marner and even tried him at center out of desperation early on. I'm just not a big believer in the markets argument in regards to player development. Smaller markets with almost no fan fare have had tons of issues like Arizona. Most people who are elite athletes put more pressure on themselves than whatever the media does.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They rushed both Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi. Bergevin probably would have rushed Marner and even tried him at center out of desperation early on. I'm just not a big believer in the markets argument in regards to player development. Smaller markets with almost no fan fare have had tons of issues like Arizona. Most people who are elite athletes put more pressure on themselves than whatever the media does.

I normally agree with that position, but not regarding Wright. The Canadian media would never give him time to develop, they'd never let him forget that he is supposed to be a superstar. I think the fans would hate him.

Going 4th to Seattle is great for Wright. It puts expectations for him in a reasonable position and they'll give him time to develop slowly.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

It’s a new organisation now and with the rebuild in place they talk about developement constantly. We’ll see kids be well managed and given opportunies for the first time for as long as i can remenber!

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
People said the same thing when I told them Wright might not go 1st. Is it really a smear campaign? Or just my minority opinion actually being closer to the truth?
The fact that you are jumping on any comment that has anything to do with Wright... yeah its a weird obsession that you have. Its almost creepy...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Maybe the market thing is overblown maybe it isn't but it's also likely that they would have tried to rush Wright as well.

I agree with the last part in part as they are also human and the environment they are put in certainly can affect their outcomes.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Slafkovsky has been hyped for the last few years...mostly as a top 5 to 10 talent...but he has been on the radar for a LONG time now, not just last few weeks
He's was never on the radar to go first overall though.

Devils didn't need a Center... So drop the idea that Nemec is way way better player than Wright. They were either going winger or Dman depending on who was 1OA.

Cooley and Wright while both great Centers both are also different type of centers. Cooley is more of the flasher offensive type that can also play on the wing. Wright is a 2 way center. Arizona taking cooley cause well he wants to play there in arizona (teams love players that say that) and fits in the system that they are trying to run. That still doesn't mean in the long term cooley is better than Wright just cause he went 3 and wright went 4. People need to stop being obsessing over what spot these guys ended up at. It means squat. Did people see Makar as not as great cause he went 4OA and everyone above him were better players? What about Marner who also was 4OA?

Remember Seattle's plan is the run of play goes down the middle so yes it would make sense for Seattle to draft another 2 way player like Wright if they gotten 1OA. Did we really "need" Slaf? No not really at least not in my opinion. What about Cooley? Maybe if we needed a more of a versatile player more than we needed a pure Center. Then there's Nemec? He was what the team was likely to take. If Wright, Slaf and cooley were all taken. We would had take him over Wright at 1OA? No.

I value rank positions as this 1: C 2: D 3: Winger 4: G.
You can move one of you centres to wing. The Devils should've taken Wright and put Hughes on the wing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I normally agree with that position, but not regarding Wright. The Canadian media would never give him time to develop, they'd never let him forget that he is supposed to be a superstar. I think the fans would hate him.

Going 4th to Seattle is great for Wright. It puts expectations for him in a reasonable position and they'll give him time to develop slowly.
I think you may be Wright ... er ... right. SEA having Gourde as an experienced top 6 option, as well as Beniers, will relieve pressure on him to produce right away.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The fact that you are jumping on any comment that has anything to do with Wright... yeah its a weird obsession that you have. Its almost creepy...
I don’t get that POV, he’s a prospect fan and Wright has been one of the most hyped up prospects in the draft since mcdavid, and the amount of people rushing to his defence was unusual imo. Calling him creepy for it seems odd. Anytime anyone throughout the year dared to suggest Wright was a bit disappointing or they didn’t view him as the top pick, they were jumped on and called a “hater”, as if the if it was already established he’s the top pick and nobody could come close. I truly do think social media and the prevalence of available video on these kids at a younger age has done more harm than good. Wright is a fine prospect and could very well end up the best player in this draft, but there’s really no reason he should be handed the 1OA label 3 years out from his draft. You watch, the same thing will happen with Michael Misa as an 07 born who got exceptional status this year in the O. He’s a great player, but I watched him a lot this year with the Mississauga senators and he’s not the runaway best 07 or late 06 out there, yet I’ve already started to see some claim he’s the favourite for first overall in his draft year, which is 3 years out. The players and their families feel the intense pressure social media lays on them

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Think Wright is going to be awesome for Seattle and it'll be a really cool environment for him to want to make a name in. History books are blank. How exciting would that be as a player?!

That said, I've always felt he's got like a low-medium floor and a sky high ceiling. Thinking like Adam Henrique on the lower end (Still great, 2 way goal scoring C/W) but I think there's a Seguin career in there for him. Funny enough, Seguin has had a lot of the same criticisms over his career.

Also, the self-diagnosing stuff is weirdo behaviour. Unless you're certified and have officially sat down with him, leave the diagnosis and conditions stuff alone. And stop talking about ADHD like it's some sort of gloomy cloud that hangs over people. The list goes on of famous/successful people on the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad