C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
This you?
The wonders of a last placed team are that there are many needs. C usually trumps W. I just didn’t rate Wright at all, had Cooley ranked 1 on my list for Montreal. Which I’m sure you noticed since you went to the trouble of going through my posts.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is an excellent, if not blasphemous take.

Sure for a guy who isn't a fan of Wright but maxing out as a 3rd line center, his shot is too good for that as is the rest of his game.

Bo Horvat is not a good comparison. Wright is a much better skater while Horvat is highly regarded for his battle level, the very thing that Wright is most deficient in. I think someone like Kyle Turris is more likely. Wright looks strong superficially but doesn't have it on the ice.

His production wasn't the problem, it's how he played. He looked like a kid that would lose every battle in the NHL.

I was clear when I said Bo Horvat in value, stylistically they are very different players to be sure.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Sure for a guy who isn't a fan of Wright but maxing out as a 3rd line center, his shot is too good for that as is the rest of his game.
There’s always a chance he becomes more than that, and I agree he has a good shot, but there are plenty of NHL bottom 6 guys that can rip the puck. I just don’t think he’s elite in anyone area to make me think he’s guaranteed a to be a top 6 guy. Have nothing against the kid either, hopefully he proves me wrong

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I was clear when I said Bo Horvat in value, stylistically they are very different players to be sure.
There are plenty of guys who are elite shooters that never crack into top 6 roles. He had a really hard time getting it off last year against OHL defenders, so I do question how well that will translate.

he's got potential to be a top 6C but I think he'll be more of a middle 6C

Reactions: Ippenator

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There’s always a chance he becomes more than that, and I agree he has a good shot, but there are plenty of NHL bottom 6 guys that can rip the puck. I just don’t think he’s elite in anyone area to make me think he’s guaranteed a to be a top 6 guy. Have nothing against the kid either, hopefully he proves me wrong

Most top 6 players aren't elite in any areas some are just very good in some.

Wright obviously hasn't lived up to his 15 year old expectations but there is some serious downgrading going on here by some and it won't look good in the future.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think Wright projects as a guy that will score well on a #1 PP unit.

5v5 playdriving and scoring pace are more up in the air, there's a lot of reason to think he'll be limited in those areas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Most top 6 players aren't elite in any areas some are just very good in some.

Wright obviously hasn't lived up to his 15 year old expectations but there is some serious downgrading going on here by some and it won't look good in the future.

How was he suppose to live up to his 15 year old expectations when there was no 20-21 OHL season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Wright projects as a guy that will score well on a #1 PP unit.

5v5 playdriving and scoring pace are more up in the air, there's a lot of reason to think he'll be limited in those areas.

He's not going to be on the PP1 unit as a Center. That's Beniers spot.

There are plenty of guys who are elite shooters that never crack into top 6 roles. He had a really hard time getting it off last year against OHL defenders, so I do question how well that will translate.

he's got potential to be a top 6C but I think he'll be more of a middle 6C

He'll start as a 3C more likely to adjust to the league but long term he'll be our 2C. Labeling him as a 3C or a 4C long term is a joke and outright disrespect. He's not a bottom 6 type center which is completely different style of a role than being a top 6... Wright is the 2nd potential best center Seattle has on the team. Way better long term than Gourde and Wennberg.

We already have Center prospects that'll fit more in the 3C 4C role.

Can we stop with whole acting like we are experts. None of us are experts and here's the thing not even the NHL scouts are perfect in their own judgement of players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Most NHL powerplays have 2 centers on them. They almost all consist of teams 4 best forwards and their best offensive D-man. Stamkos/Point, Matthews/Tavares, MacKinnon/Kadri, etc. were all on their teams top unit. There isn't even a defined center role on a PP. It tends to be netfront presence, crasher/slot, and two forwards on the sideboards. The only role of a center on a PP is to win the faceoff, and then they slide into whatever specific offensive role they fit best. The other benefit of having your top 2 centers on the top unit is that it gives you two strong faceoff guys in-case one gets waived out.
I dunno, maybe by getting better? Didn't seem to prevent guys like Del Bel Belluz from improving. DBB had 6 points in 58 games in 2019-20 and then 76 in 68 this past year.
Wright played more in 2020/21 than 99% of OHL kids, and a ton of kids aged out and the top of the OHL was weakeneded by a one-time loophole making some OHL players AHL eligible.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Most NHL powerplays have 2 centers on them. They almost all consist of teams 4 best forwards and their best offensive D-man. Stamkos/Point, Matthews/Tavares, MacKinnon/Kadri, etc. were all on their teams top unit. There isn't even a defined center role on a PP. It tends to be netfront presence, crasher/slot, and two forwards on the sideboards. The only role of a center on a PP is to win the faceoff, and then they slide into whatever specific offensive role they fit best. The other benefit of having your top 2 centers on the top unit is that it gives you two strong faceoff guys in-case one gets waived out.

Wright played more in 2020/21 than 99% of OHL kids, and a ton of kids aged out and the top of the OHL was weakeneded by a one-time loophole making some OHL players AHL eligible.

THe OHL being AHL eligible was mostly for OHL players that were already drafted.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
THe OHL being AHL eligible was mostly for OHL players that were already drafted.
yes, but it weaked the top end talent of usual OHL players who have to play in the OHL until they have played either 4 years in the OHL or are on an NHL roster. Guys like Perreault, Forester, Serbango, and Foudy would likely be in the OHL full-time, and potentially Perfetti or Byfield could have been sent down. Only Drysdale of the OHL 19 years olds drafted in 2020 broke camp with the NHL roster, but the others may have been kept if it was OHL for the year instead of the AHL.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
yes, but it weaked the top end talent of usual OHL players who have to play in the OHL until they have played either 4 years in the OHL or are on an NHL roster. Guys like Perreault, Forester, Serbango, and Foudy would likely be in the OHL full-time, and potentially Perfetti or Byfield could have been sent down. Only Drysdale of the OHL 19 years olds drafted in 2020 broke camp with the NHL roster, but the others may have been kept if it was OHL for the year instead of the AHL.

Indeed OHL players got screwed cuse of the canceled season and that hurt wright's draft stock. Not sure what was wright suppose to do? The NHL scouts get things wrong all the time. Recentcy bias is a thing when it comes to scouting. Slaf meh club season was bailed out by a couple tournaments and the scouts look at those tournaments and go oooo awwwww...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He'll start as a 3C more likely to adjust to the league but long term he'll be our 2C. Labeling him as a 3C or a 4C long term is a joke and outright disrespect. He's not a bottom 6 type center which is completely different style of a role than being a top 6... Wright is the 2nd potential best center Seattle has on the team. Way better long term than Gourde and Wennberg.

We already have Center prospects that'll fit more in the 3C 4C role.

Can we stop with whole acting like we are experts. None of us are experts and here's the thing not even the NHL scouts are perfect in their own judgement of players.
Speak for yourself. You're out here trying to convince everyone that Seattle definitely would have taken Wright first.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Indeed OHL players got screwed cuse of the canceled season and that hurt wright's draft stock. Not sure what was wright suppose to do? The NHL scouts get things wrong all the time. Recentcy bias is a thing when it comes to scouting. Slaf meh club season was bailed out by a couple tournaments and the scouts look at those tournaments and go oooo awwwww...
and a ton of the Wright hype comes from 5 games at an U-18 tournament. I'm not saying he's terrible. He could end up the best player from this draft. But, you are the one locked in on he was viewed as that by Seattle, and that he likely will be. I'm not so sold.

The other flawed logic I constantly see applied to Wright is that over time he'll magically get that time back. He played more than 99% of the OHL last year. He got extended WJC and U-18's camps. Outside of a couple of elite 2021 picks who went to Europe, he played more. He had a leg up on about 99% of the people he played against this year.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know how good Wright will be but the elephant in the room is that the Habs needed a center far more then a winger and yet, drafted Slaf.

There has to be a reason that has nothing to do with stats and EVERYTHING to do with his interviews.

Argue all you want about it but none of you had a sit down with Wright.

Same thing happened 3 times to make teams think he's not the BPA.

So the question is...how did Wright come across on those interviews?

To me it's one word that probably upended his BPA crown...entitled.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't know how good Wright will be but the elephant in the room is that the Habs needed a center far more then a winger and yet, drafted Slaf.

There has to be a reason that has nothing to do with stats and EVERYTHING to do with his interviews.

Argue all you want about it but none of you had a sit down with Wright.

Same thing happened 3 times to make teams think he's not the BPA.

So the question is...how did Wright come across on those interviews?

To me it's one word that probably upended his BPA crown...entitled.
Habs could also of just thought Slaf was the better prospect by a notable margin. Even if they hated Wrights interviews they could have pivoted to Cooley, who we know at least one franchise valued higher than Wright.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
This ADHD diagnosis seems plausible, but I think my theory is actually better: Wright is an alien masquerading as a human. Or he's a top secret sentient robot built by Canada's goverment.
Both of these theories are unquestionably much more interesting than the ADHD hypothesis.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Habs could also of just thought Slaf was the better prospect by a notable margin. Even if they hated Wrights interviews they could have pivoted to Cooley, who we know at least one franchise valued higher than Wright.
Which could be right back to interviews.

Even with a slight advantag, do you take the entitled one or the hungry to prove some thing pick?

In months we will get a glimpse and in 4 years we will know.

Right now, I'm taking a lot of Hopeium pills that Slaf has a chip on his shoulder....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Which could be right back to interviews.

Even with a slight advantag, do you take the entitled one or the hungry to prove some thing pick?

In months we will get a glimpse and in 4 years we will know.

Right now, I'm taking a lot of Hopeium pills that Slaf has a chip on his shoulder....
I really don't think that Habs fans have much to worry about Slaf. He has skill, size and compete. He will be fine in the NHL.

But if anything, I feel like Wright should be the one with a chip on his shoulder (he has admitted so himself). I get Aaron Rodgers vibes from him and if he decides to train hard and compete the way Rodgers did, he could end up being a legit force in the NHL.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Well I won't be able to sleep at night not knowing if Seattle would have taken Wright 1OA, thats for sure. Keep digging, sleuths.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I dunno, maybe by getting better? Didn't seem to prevent guys like Del Bel Belluz from improving. DBB had 6 points in 58 games in 2019-20 and then 76 in 68 this past year.

You could have chosen a better example.

Of course there was no way Wright's production would see the same increase as Del Bel Belluz's did because of their respective roles on their club from one year to the next. Wright went from top line center getting top PP unit time to ... top line center getting top PP time. DBB went from a little used 4th liner as a rookie to getting top line minutes.

This is like saying Draisaitl improved in the NHL while McDavid didn't really improve much because Draisaitl went from a 9 point rookie to a 100+ point player in his prime, while McDavid "only" improved from a roughly 90 point rookie to a 110+ point player in his prime.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The interviews might have been pivotal, for all we know, but it's not like he played so well that it had to be the interviews.

You say it had to be something aside from the stats, and you're right, his stats were fine. And if you watched Shane Wright play you would have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad