C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Slafkovsky has been hyped for the last few years...mostly as a top 5 to 10 talent...but he has been on the radar for a LONG time now, not just last few weeks
Slafkovsky was 4th on Bob’s list in September 2021. He was also noted to have a 2nd place vote by a scout back then. He was hyped for a while.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How can you possibly know this?

You think we would have passed on Wright when the team needed centers. Different teams have their own ranting list. Just cause Montreal didn't have Wright on their top of their list doesn't mean any of the remaning 10 in the running would see it the same way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You think we would have passed on Wright when the team needed centers. Different teams have their own ranting list. Just cause Montreal didn't have Wright on their top of their list doesn't mean any of the remaning 10 in the running would see it the same way.
They very easily could have taken Cooley, just like Arizona. Because Cooley is the better prospect.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They very easily could have taken Cooley, just like Arizona. Because Cooley is the better prospect.

And how do you know Seattle would haved viewed Cooley as the better prospect as Wright? Reminder our GM was considered the best 2 way center that ever played in the NHL and you are telling me he wouldn't had taken Wright...

Also under what terms would you define "better prospect". Its all subjective. You can have all 32 teams and their own scouts could do their own 1 to 32 prospect ranking and each of the lists could be completely different some may have wright at 1OA some may have Slaf or cooley or Nemec at 1OA.

Just cause Cooley went before Wright, doesn't mean Cooley is the better prospect than wright especially when neither of them actually played any games in the NHL yet. None of these prospects have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
And how do you know Seattle would haved viewed Cooley as the better prospect... Reminder our GM was considered the best 2 way center that ever played in the NHL and you are telling me he wouldn't had taken Wright...
I'm not the one making definitive claims about what Seattle would have done.

I don't know what Francis would have done. It's possible they had Wright as 1. It's also very possible that they had him behind Cooley. Or Slafkovsky.

All we know is that 3 other teams didn't have Wright at #1. Including Arizona and Montreal, who also desperately needed centers and yet both passed on Wright.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

I'm not the one making definitive claims about what Seattle would have done.

I don't know what Francis would have done. It's possible they had Wright as 1. It's also very possible that they had him behind Cooley. Or Slafkovsky.

All we know is that 3 other teams didn't have Wright at #1. Including Arizona and Montreal, who also desperately needed centers and yet both passed on Wright.
You're also making a definitive claim, that Cooley is a better prospect than Wight.

Both claims are just opinions.

Reactions: gstommylee

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
And how do you know Seattle would haved viewed Cooley as the better prospect as Wright? Reminder our GM was considered the best 2 way center that ever played in the NHL and you are telling me he wouldn't had taken Wright...

Also under what terms would you define "better prospect". Its all subjective. You can have all 32 teams and their own scouts could do their own 1 to 32 prospect ranking and each of the lists could be completely different some may have wright at 1OA some may have Slaf or cooley or Nemec at 1OA.

Just cause Cooley went before Wright, doesn't mean Cooley is the better prospect than wright especially when neither of them actually played any games in the NHL yet. None of these prospects have.

No shit dude. It's about projection. 3 other NHL teams projected other guys ahead of Wright. That makes a pretty strong case that Seattle likely did too. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken him though. But quit sitting her telling us your team would have took him 1st overall because you took him at 4. You don't know shit and your arguement sounds on par with what a 2nd grader would come up with.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

How do you know Seattle viewed Wright as the better prospect?

How are you arguing so passionately about something you know you can't prove lol

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Devils didn't need a Center... So drop the idea that Nemec is way way better player than Wright. They were either going winger or Dman depending on who was 1OA.

Cooley and Wright while both great Centers both are also different type of centers. Cooley is more of the flasher offensive type that can also play on the wing. Wright is a 2 way center. Arizona taking cooley cause well he wants to play there in arizona (teams love players that say that) and fits in the system that they are trying to run. That still doesn't mean in the long term cooley is better than Wright just cause he went 3 and wright went 4. People need to stop being obsessing over what spot these guys ended up at. It means squat. Did people see Makar as not as great cause he went 4OA and everyone above him were better players? What about Marner who also was 4OA?

Remember Seattle's plan is the run of play goes down the middle so yes it would make sense for Seattle to draft another 2 way player like Wright if they gotten 1OA. Did we really "need" Slaf? No not really at least not in my opinion. What about Cooley? Maybe if we needed a more of a versatile player more than we needed a pure Center. Then there's Nemec? He was what the team was likely to take. If Wright, Slaf and cooley were all taken. We would had take him over Wright at 1OA? No.

I value rank positions as this 1: C 2: D 3: Winger 4: G.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How do you know Seattle viewed Wright as the better prospect?

How are you arguing so passionately about something you know you can't prove lol

Cause he fits in the type of system we want to play more than Cooley, nemec and slaf. Key word fits. That's the thing each team has their own system that they run and they scout these prospects based on how they would fit in their system.

One the biggest problem Seattle had last year was they were bad at the transition game aka taking the puck from D zone to Netural zone to offensive zone.

Wright is the type of player that can do that.

If we didn't have this darn virus mess ordeal, Wright would more likely gone 1OA i feel like OHL not having their 20-21 season screwed him and other OHL players from drafting higher. Wright was going to have a disadvantage cause of the lack of a 20-21 OHL season over non OHL players cause of that. Missing a year of hockey is going to hurt big time. its not his or the other OHL's players fault they missed a season over something beyond their control...

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Cause he fits in the type of system we want to play more than Cooley, nemec and slaf. Key word fits. That's the thing each team has their own system that they run and they scout these prospects based on how they would fit in their system.

One the biggest problem Seattle had last year was they were bad at the transition game aka taking the puck from D zone to Netural zone to offensive zone.

As many people here have suggested, these are your views. You can't claim Ron Francis would have picked Wright at #1 without proof, it is all speculation.

Here are the facts we do know so far:
- Wright wasn't BPA for the first 3 teams that drafted
- Bob McKenzie polled 10 scouts and Wright wasn't BPA in at least 6/10 lists
- Cooley was the 1st center drafted, not Wright

Could Wright have been the universal/consensus 2nd overall had a team other than Arizona/NJ been there, maybe? No one knows...we only had 10 teams polled and not 32.
Could Wright have been 1st oa? Yes, Bob McKenzie told us as much, but he didn't say Seattle was one of those teams like you're claiming without proof.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Devils didn't need a Center... So drop the idea that Nemec is way way better player than Wright. They were either going winger or Dman depending on who was 1OA.

Cooley and Wright while both great Centers both are also different type of centers. Cooley is more of the flasher offensive type that can also play on the wing. Wright is a 2 way center. Arizona taking cooley cause well he wants to play there in arizona (teams love players that say that) and fits in the system that they are trying to run. That still doesn't mean in the long term cooley is better than Wright just cause he went 3 and wright went 4. People need to stop being obsessing over what spot these guys ended up at. It means squat. Did people see Makar as not as great cause he went 4OA and everyone above him were better players? What about Marner who also was 4OA?

Remember Seattle's plan is the run of play goes down the middle so yes it would make sense for Seattle to draft another 2 way player like Wright if they gotten 1OA. Did we really "need" Slaf? No not really at least not in my opinion. What about Cooley? Maybe if we needed a more of a versatile player more than we needed a pure Center. Then there's Nemec? He was what the team was likely to take. If Wright, Slaf and cooley were all taken. We would had take him over Wright at 1OA? No.

I value rank positions as this 1: C 2: D 3: Winger 4: G.

Maybe the Devils don't really need another center but if they really valued Wright or Cooley as that much better than Nemec but looked for need then it can backfire.

Personally I would have drafted Wright and figured out the forward lines later on.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Maybe the Devils don't really need another center but if they really valued Wright or Cooley as that much better than Nemec but looked for need then it can backfire.

Personally I would have drafted Wright and figured out the forward lines later on.

They wanted Slaf and went Nemec the moment Slaf was taking at 1OA. They were never going to draft a Center no mater who it was.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They wanted Slaf and went Nemec the moment Slaf was taking at 1OA. They were never going to draft a Center no mater who it was.
Well time will tell and I think Seattle really lucked out with Wright falling to 4th and they had a pretty good draft in 22 IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
As many people here have suggested, these are your views. You can't claim Ron Francis would have picked Wright at #1 without proof, it is all speculation.

Here are the facts we do know so far:
- Wright wasn't BPA for the first 3 teams that drafted
- Bob McKenzie polled 10 scouts and Wright wasn't BPA in at least 6/10 lists
- Cooley was the 1st center drafted, not Wright

Could Wright have been the universal/consensus 2nd overall had a team other than Arizona/NJ been there, maybe? No one knows...we only had 10 teams polled and not 32.
Could Wright have been 1st oa? Yes, Bob McKenzie told us as much, but he didn't say Seattle was one of those teams like you're claiming without proof.

The Media doesn't know more than what we know when it comes to these projections. So they talked to 10 scouts. Just 10. Talk about small sample. Over how many armature scouts there are in the NHL.

Sometimes it comes down to the player player great at the right time. That still doesn't mean that slaf and cooley, nemec are way better players than Wright.

If i can't prove that Seattle didn't have wright as number 1 on their big boards and none of you on here can prove that slaf cooley are nemec are going to have way way better careers than Wright will.

Stop trashing the player for heaven sakes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

If we didn't have this darn virus mess ordeal, Wright would more likely gone 1OA i feel like OHL not having their 20-21 season screwed him and other OHL players from drafting higher. Wright was going to have a disadvantage cause of the lack of a 20-21 OHL season over non OHL players cause of that. Missing a year of hockey is going to hurt big time. its not his or the other OHL's players fault they missed a season over something beyond their control...
Wright really isn't a 2 way center though. His defensive numbers were pretty mediocre even in the OHL, and he's got a very poor motor. He's also really soft on the puck.

He's closer to a Sean Monahan type.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Media doesn't know more than what we know when it comes to these projections. So they talked to 10 scouts. Just 10. Talk about small sample. Over how many armature scouts there are in the NHL.

These days we have many windows into what NHL scouts are thinking, it's not just Bob's poll. Wheeler and Pronman were also polling scouts for the Athletic and coming up with results similar to Bob's list. I also use hockey prospect and they were giving us a good sample of scouting opinion on Wright and Slaf.

Wright really isn't a 2 way center though. His defensive numbers were pretty mediocre even in the OHL, and he's got a very poor motor. He's also really soft on the puck.

He's closer to a Sean Monahan type.

I think that is taking it a little far. :laugh:

If Wright develops his strength and motor to an NHL average level then I think he would be a good defensive center in the NHL. He has the skating and positioning. I'm just not sure how far he'll go with his physical development. A more reasonable downside would be like Kyle Turris (another one-time presumptive #1OA).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One of the impressions I got from Wright was a bit of arrogance of the wrong type. "I deserve this" is vastly different from "I will prove I'm the best".

Slaf has the later and I don't mind that. Thinking he's the Alpha dog and then backing that up is not a bad thing.

Frankly, given the Habs defense/goaltending, failure is likely so watching Slaf prove he's special will be interesting.

Time will tell...and it's only months away.

Reactions: Kalv

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think that is taking it a little far. :laugh:

If Wright develops his strength and motor to an NHL average level then I think he would be a good defensive center in the NHL. He has the skating and positioning. I'm just not sure how far he'll go with his physical development.
Yeah that's probably fair. Wright certainly projects better than Monahan. I used to think of him as a bit of Monahan / Reinhart hybrid, with a more powerful stride.

I think he will end up being OK defensively if he's able to ramp up the intensity, but I just don't see the ceiling as a real "2 way" center that so many do.

Reactions: majormajor

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One of the impressions I got from Wright was a bit of arrogance of the wrong type. "I deserve this" is vastly different from "I will prove I'm the best".

Slaf has the later and I don't mind that. Thinking he's the Alpha dog and then backing that up is not a bad thing.

Frankly, given the Habs defense/goaltending, failure is likely so watching Slaf prove he's special will be interesting.

Time will tell...and it's only months away.
Well said. I have got the same vibes so far mostly

Reactions: Leviathan899

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
This brings up an interesting discussion. (In correlation with Bobs list, I bet if push came to shove, a lot of team should’ve dropped Wright past the 1/2 spot like the teams in the top 5 did. I bet some of the teams who Bob polled, who weren’t drafting that high, left Wright in that spot because it wouldn’t really matter to them.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I would argue that really only Arizona passed on him due to team needs and BPA at those positions...

Are you going to look at everyone and say that Arizona has not made shitty personnel decisions over say, the last 2 years even? Arizona f***ing up isn't exactly the barometer you think it is.
Nonsense. Montreal has a huge need for a C. NJ was the only one that didn't really.

Also, I genuinely think if Nemec and Wright both fell to 4th, Seattle would have picked Nemec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad