C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No closer to Malkin. I don't think Malkin ever got as much hype as Wright did.
Malkin was viewed as a somewhat legitimate challenger to Ovi. There is a fairly strong argument in any draft between like 1999 and 2003 he would have gone first overall. He was just a late riser due to being a bit young for his draft class and playing outside of the big Russian hot beds of St. Petersburg and Moscow.

But, peak Wright hype got out of control. All that really matters in this context is how they were viewed at their draft date. If we want to talk about prior to the draft hype at one point Jake Wise and Joe Veleno were viewed as the top 2 picks for 2018, and guys like Ho-Sang and John McFarland had first overall hype. Hell, outside of Crosby you could say Angelo Esposito at peak hype had the most hype of Malkin and Staal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No closer to Malkin. I don't think Malkin ever got as much hype as Wright did.

...as Wright did before his draft year, sure. All season, the actual scouts are trying to tell us that he isn't that player but people just want to believe. If we're actually making lineup projections for the Kraken we should use actual scouting intel not tsn puff pieces or two year old reports.

I've had it!
It is absolutely amazing how we continue to pile on this kid. He plays hockey he isn't a f***ing murderer, he isn't a corrupt politician, a child molester or fraud stealing the life savings of senior citizens. Get off his back and choose to target the really evil people in our society and we will all be better off.
I've said my peace throw me off this f***ing board if you want.

Enjoy your last breaths, the deep state of child molesters are going to eliminate you soon!

:laugh::sarcasm:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think Malkin ever got as much hype as Wright did.
I don't know about that. Malkin got a ton of hype in his draft year.

I've had it!
It is absolutely amazing how we continue to pile on this kid. He plays hockey he isn't a f***ing murderer, he isn't a corrupt politician, a child molester or fraud stealing the life savings of senior citizens. Get off his back and choose to target the really evil people in our society and we will all be better off.
I've said my peace throw me off this f***ing board if you want.
Don't let it get to you, C2010.

Let's just hope he proves the doubters wrong.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's a 18-year-old kid. Assessing his personality as "off" and attributing him with mental health disorders based on some short videos is what's really off.
I don’t think ADHD is even considered a “disorder” anymore, more of a personality type or group of traits. It certainly isn’t a mental health issue. People with ADHD can be perfect mentally sound like anyone else; their thought patterns and behaviours are just atypical sometimes.

Reactions: thebus88

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while.

Signs of ADHD?

Please enlighten us on what these “signs of ADHD” are.

I’ll save you the time, there are none. It’s impossible to diagnose ADHD by watching someone communicate.

Thanks for reminding me that 90% of people on forums talk completely out of their a$$.

Wright looked and sounded exactly like anybody his age who has to give a presentation in front of class does :laugh:

Only difference is the audience is bigger.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I don’t think ADHD is even considered a “disorder” anymore, more of a personality type or group of traits. It certainly isn’t a mental health issue. People with ADHD can be perfect mentally sound like anyone else; their thought patterns and behaviours are just atypical sometimes.
Group of abnormal traits are what make a disorder, though. Calling ADHD a personality type is really downplaying how severely it can affect someone's life.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Man it’s gonna be a long off-season if we’ve got people WebMDing an 18 year old kid from interviews. Jesus Christ… what is the point? Are people really this pathetic?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
As a Habs fan, I'm happy for Shane. He will be able to develop, because Montreal rush their players, because the media kinda runs the club. With the Kraken, I can see Wright fulfilling his full potential and maybe being a first center (although Beniers has more offensive upside and should be no.1 center). I like the kid. The "stare" was a joke being blown out of proportion by the media. The kid is legit. Slafkovsky too, but I think shane will develop better with the Kraken.

Reactions: 1909

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wright looked and sounded exactly like anybody his age who has to give a presentation in front of class does :laugh:

Only difference is the audience is bigger.
These kids interview differently. Wright is sort of awkward, so were MacKinnon and McDavid at that age. Laine was weird as hell doing a national tv interview lying in bed seeming like he was from a different planet. Guys like Matthews, Tavares or Crosby were quite serious but directly answered the questions. And, some kids are jokers like Morgan Rielly at his post-draft interview. Eichel was ultra confident. It doesn't really matter too much unless there is clearly something up and I don't think there was in this case. Now, interviews with teams are a different story. The top kids are prepped as hell by agents, and the scouts/teams purposefully ask questions or act in a way to throw them off there script they've prepared.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Regardless of his success, this will be a funny thread to go back to.

I wonder how many more medical/psychological diagnoses he'll have between now and the end of his rookie season.

He'll be the first player in NHL history to score a goal while having ADHD, Asperberger's syndrome, Dengue fever and IBS.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
...as Wright did before his draft year, sure. All season, the actual scouts are trying to tell us that he isn't that player but people just want to believe. If we're actually making lineup projections for the Kraken we should use actual scouting intel not tsn puff pieces or two year old reports.

Enjoy your last breaths, the deep state of child molesters are going to eliminate you soon!

:laugh::sarcasm:
The Slaf hype only really started a couple weeks before the draft. People were enamored by his size. Good thing Ron Francis recognizes talent.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Slaf hype only really started a couple weeks before the draft. People were enamored by his size. Good thing Ron Francis recognizes talent.
I'd heard it since atleast March. Public is always late to these things. The real thing is, NHL teams don't really care about organizing their list from 1-80 in February. The goal is to cut the guys they start giving ND's and start reallocating resources on guys withing their range in the 1st and they still have interest in. The process is about much more than having a 1-80 list year round, and how about how to get in a position that is having the 1-80 that makes sense for your team in June.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I mean, Wright fell on Ron Francis’s lap, so it was an easy choice for him to make. Arizona saw more upside with Cooley, but I like Wright better, to build a team.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Ron Francis took BPA at 4...no one can say with certainty that Ron Francis would have taken him at 1, especially considering the fact that the 2nd and 3rd team didn't believe he was worth picking either at their respective positions.

If Wright was BPA, he would not have fell to 4th and he wouldn't have been ranked 2nd in multiple scouting lists before draft day.

Reactions: le_sean

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ron Francis took BPA at 4...no one can say with certainty that Ron Francis would have taken him at 1, especially considering the fact that the 2nd and 3rd team didn't believe he was worth picking either at their respective positions.

If Wright was BPA, he would not have fell to 4th and he wouldn't have been ranked 2nd in multiple scouting lists before draft day.
While unlikely there is the scenario he was the universal 2nd (although NDJ make this unlikely). Where Slaf/Nemec/Cooley were one on each board. Now this would be rare in a 1OA scenario, this drafts 1 was closer to a 3OA (and I would have gone Slaf one). The draft has a lot of complex game theory to it. Like most people get the guy they had between 17-22 at 29.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I am not sure I agree with the bolded simply because BPA's can change between individual teams' lists. Plus some teams may draft on need/position over the BPA on their lists.

I was not surprised at all to see the Habs go with Slaf. Or even the Devils go with Nemec (arguably the best D-man in the draft AND also a need). I was a little surprised with the Coyotes going with Cooley over Wright but at that point, I was beyond thrilled because I wanted one of Wright (1) or Cooley (2) right from the start, just never thought we would have any shot at Wright.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

I would argue that really only Arizona passed on him due to team needs and BPA at those positions...

Are you going to look at everyone and say that Arizona has not made shitty personnel decisions over say, the last 2 years even? Arizona f***ing up isn't exactly the barometer you think it is.

Jul 6, 2016
Wrong. Slaf was on the radars if most scouts since at least six months.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

If Seattle had 1OA instead of montreal, we would have taken Wright. So lets not go with the idea that we would have taken someone else instead if Seattle had 1OA.

Reactions: Fixxer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Group of abnormal traits are what make a disorder, though. Calling ADHD a personality type is really downplaying how severely it can affect someone's life.

My oldest nephews (My sister's oldest) has ADHD and its not something to brush off or throw out there loosely. i find it pathetic that people here would just toss out medical disorders just like that. Its not fun to make funny to make fun of the disorders and start labeling people with them.

I mean, Wright fell on Ron Francis’s lap, so it was an easy choice for him to make. Arizona saw more upside with Cooley, but I like Wright better, to build a team.

Or Arizona decided to go with their original plan which was cooley instead of changing their plan just cause a player that most teams thought was going 1OA dropped.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If he was worth the first overall pick…if he was a first overall talent…three teams wouldn’t have passed on him regardless of team need. No team would pass on him. He didn’t earn it. so he didn’t get it.

Reactions: Kaladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad