C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I kinda still like him best of all the forwards if he goes to an organization that is going to be patient with him. Let him bulk up, maybe get more experience as a true center. Has big potential to be the guy 3-5 years from now that we go "why didn't he go at the top?" especially if he gets taken outside the top 5. His hands and skill are too good, he's a tremendously shifty player when you combine those hands with great edgework and he's got the physical frame to get much stronger if he keeps driving to improve.

In a draft seemingly lacking in forwards that profile with high-end offensive upside at the NHL level - I think Johnson has a legit chance and that alone makes him intriguing.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think he’s pretty boom or bust. I love the skill level and creativity. He can make difficult plays routinely, and his shot is pretty good as well. Skating, Strength, and Pace are big time issues right now. I also haven’t seen high-end playmaking from him yet, which I think he needs to translate as a first line player. He needs an organization that will be patient, but also has great player development.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think he’s pretty boom or bust. I love the skill level and creativity. He can make difficult plays routinely, and his shot is pretty good as well. Skating, Strength, and Pace are big time issues right now. I also haven’t seen high-end playmaking from him yet, which I think he needs to translate as a first line player. He needs an organization that will be patient, but also has great player development.

All three can be fixed, his skating doesn't look to be a " big issue " though.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Development plan that i have

3 years in the NCAA(He plays until the 2023-2024 season)
1-2 Years in the AHL

I’m fine him waiting. Until he can dominate NCAA and AHL and makes it too easy he doesn’t touch NHL ice.

Reactions: DJB

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This shouldn’t be viewed as a bad thing because this guy was absolutely a good prospect and sometimes the best comparison is to a great prior prospect as opposed to a guy whose a very successful NHL’er, but he reminds me a little of Mittelstadt. Saying that, I believe he’s a better player and much more likely to be a center than Mittelstadt was.

Reactions: Dominance

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
All three can be fixed, his skating doesn't look to be a " big issue " though.
It is bad. You can see that his extension with his right leg is off. He doesn’t extend all the way way and then doesn’t bring it back to center. But you’re right. This can be fixed.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Development isn't always linear, or predictable. It's fine to have a plan, but you always have to be prepared to adjust it.

Johnson reminds me of Mittelstadt a bit too. Casey looked to be more skilled and was flashier. While his college production wasn't great, he was surrounded by mediocre players who fumbled one after another of the beautiful passes he would serve up to them...I watched almost all of his games with the Gophers. I don't know what it is that Mittelstadt is missing- it seems to be an intangible(hunger? soft? mental toughness?)- but you would hope that Johnson is not missing that quality.

I don't see anything at all wrong with Johnson right now, though. I can easily see his skating improving with a bit more strength and training to the point where he is an above average skater. Good size, excellent puck handler, good shot. Not sure about his ability to take punishment, and still play his game(one of Mittelstadt's failings). Equally comfortable passing and shooting. I can easily see him being a #2C in the NHL, or a first line wing.

I really like him. Like Beniers a bit more, but am open to change my mind on that. Would not be unhappy to get either player, if my team is picking in the top 10.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
. I can easily see his skating improving with a bit more strength and training to the point where he is an above average skater.
It's worth mentioning, too, that Johnson is really skinny right now. He's like 165 lbs. He's got a lot of training ahead of him. I seem to recall Mittelstadt being more filled out at that point.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Play style reminds me of Casey Mittelstadt. Not saying he will bust at all but I think they play similar.

Edit: lmao I swear to God I didn't read a single post until I posted that, crazy people posted the same thing right above.

Reactions: Dominance

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mittelstadt looked very good this season, obviously he did a good job in the offseason, but Buffalo was too rushed in his development initially. I hopefully he will continue to play at the same pace and can probably become a top 6 player, but most likely he will be better on the wing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
2021 draft moving to 2022 should help Johnson imo.

Hes one of the guys it would benefit most. Teams getting to see him in a legit league for two years and a summer with an NCAA weight program to help his biggest weakness.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mittelstadt looked very good this season, obviously he did a good job in the offseason, but Buffalo was too rushed in his development initially. I hopefully he will continue to play at the same pace and can probably become a top 6 player, but most likely he will be better on the wing.

Did he play center anywhere above high school prior to the NHL? He played mostly or only winger from what I can remember, and then the Sabres moved him to center and started him in the NHL when he probably wouldn’t have even been NHL ready at winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad