C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Beniers will go top 10 as well, he’s fantastic and just like on the USNT he’ll get overshadowed but his combo of skill, versatility and intelligence on the ice makes him a real blue chipper. All you have to do is listen to any of the guys who have played with him or coached him talk about him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Defense is also the harder position to learn. It's one game and he looked incredible at generating offense. But again, the sample size is tiny so let's pump the breaks okay?
Fair enough and I’m not bashing Power, or didn’t mean to at least. I just have my reservations about him, and he’s a player I’ve watched extensively since the Mississauga Reps days in MM. always found his defensive game underwhelming for a kid with his size and reach, he gets beat to the net a lot off the rush and down low, maybe he will figure it out and become a staunch defender, but I just am not sure. I know he’ll go top 5, I don’t doubt teams are going to fall in love with his overall package and think he’s the next Hedman, which I think he’s not really close to. But yeah I realize it’s his first weekend of college games and it’s adjustment, although Arizona state is equivalent to an average CIS team in Canada, doesn’t have much offensive talent or punch.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Beniers will go top 10 as well, he’s fantastic and just like on the USNT he’ll get overshadowed but his combo of skill, versatility and intelligence on the ice makes him a real blue chipper. All you have to do is listen to any of the guys who have played with him or coached him talk about him.
I love Beniers, just such a well rounded talent and player who can excel in all situations. His skating, hockey sense and vision are all very good, I think he’s NHL ready for next season even. Looks like he’s mature physically and can play a strong down low, cycle game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How has he looked with Michigan so far? 8 points in 6 games looks like a good start. Has he been adapting to college well?
Really smart. Good with the puck. Very good play maker. Has had opportunity for more points as well. I find his line mates have to move the puck quicker to the open man. Not sure I would keep Beniers and him together. Both their roles should increase going forward

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
invisible for the past few games
Benched as well last weekend.

Didnt do anything tonight in a game Michigan carried the play for the majority, didn't hear his name called once

Beniers is carrying the line right now and getting way more ice time from Pearson

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's a good skater and clearly has plus puck skills. Beniers and him were absolutely dominant in the first series against a relatively weaker Arizona State team. They haven't looked nearly as good in the recent games.

Johnson specifically has been a bit of a turnover machine - forcing plays, blind passes. I wouldn't necessarily say he has been bad, he creates offense, but not much has come from it. He is pretty clearly a pass first player and may benefit from someone like Brisson who is always looking to shoot.

All else equal, I would prefer Beniers of the two based on what I've seen so far.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He's a good skater and clearly has plus puck skills. Beniers and him were absolutely dominant in the first series against a relatively weaker Arizona State team. They haven't looked nearly as good in the recent games.

Johnson specifically has been a bit of a turnover machine - forcing plays, blind passes. I wouldn't necessarily say he has been bad, he creates offense, but not much has come from it. He is pretty clearly a pass first player and may benefit from someone like Brisson who is always looking to shoot.

All else equal, I would prefer Beniers of the two based on what I've seen so far.
He's gonna need to learn how defenses work at this level. Behind the back passes and such are his game. He'll adapt and figure out how to play a flashy, creative style that's still effective, he just needs some time.

Reactions: grentthealien

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He's gonna need to learn how defenses work at this level. Behind the back passes and such are his game. He'll adapt and figure out how to play a flashy, creative style that's still effective, he just needs some time.

This was kind of my concern about Kent Johnson prior to this season. He came from a lesser league and tore it apart and now is struggling with the system change and tighter defenses. The kid has great tools but I'd like to see him really put them together. If he can then the guy should be a consensus top 3 pick.

Reactions: grentthealien

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Give him some time. His game is predicated on skill and he’s playing in the NCAA in his draft year. He’s not a one-and-done player at Michigan. He should be growing a lot this year. If he’s still making the same mistakes at the end of the year, you can talk about his lack of improvement as a concern. Some guys mature later on, though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is just having to adjust to the speed and strength of the NCAA. I think he'll be able to do it. Like a lot of skill players who like to handle the puck, he can be prone to turnovers if he isn't on his game. Powers is also going through the same thing.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
He is just having to adjust to the speed and strength of the NCAA. I think he'll be able to do it. Like a lot of skill players who like to handle the puck, he can be prone to turnovers if he isn't on his game. Powers is also going through the same thing.

I always find it interesting when folks criticize young players for turn overs. If you never have the puck you will never turn it over, case closed. Make all the turn overs you want as you develop your game, as long as you're trying to make a hockey play it's good. You won't won't learn a thing by not doing especially for a highly skilled guy that needs the puck in game situations.

In the same way it always bugs me to see coaches teaching young defencemen to do nothing but shoot it off the glass to clear the puck.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I guess it's more of a be patient with him type of thing. He should play another year or 2. Hope whoever drafts him is patient with him and doesn't rush him.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I always find it interesting when folks criticize young players for turn overs. If you never have the puck you will never turn it over, case closed. Make all the turn overs you want as you develop your game, as long as you're trying to make a hockey play it's good. You won't won't learn a thing by not doing especially for a highly skilled guy that needs the puck in game situations.

In the same way it always bugs me to see coaches teaching young defencemen to do nothing but shoot it off the glass to clear the puck.

I totally agree. High-risk, high-reward. Some players can't even attempt the stuff that someone like Johnson can do. Obviously it won't work all the time, but he needs to keep trying if he wants to get better/more consistent.

At the NHL level, it will depend a lot on the coach/system. Among dmen, Erik Karlsson and P.K. Subban had lots of turnovers even when they were Norris-caliber dmen, but if they didn't try to do the things that sometimes led to turnovers, they never would have put up elite numbers. Same goes for so many danglers and high-skilled forwards in the NHL. Some of the players with the most turnovers are also the best players in the league, simply because they carry the puck the most and try some of the riskiest plays, that often work and enable them to succeed. The key is knowing when to try high-risk plays and when not to (don't try something risky when your team has a one-goal lead late in the game).

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I guess it's more of a be patient with him type of thing. He should play another year or 2. Hope whoever drafts him is patient with him and doesn't rush him.

Depends where he is drafted. His stats still look consistent to be a top 5 selection.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
This was kind of my concern about Kent Johnson prior to this season. He came from a lesser league and tore it apart and now is struggling with the system change and tighter defenses. The kid has great tools but I'd like to see him really put them together. If he can then the guy should be a consensus top 3 pick.
I do think he'll figure it out. He's too smart not to.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Give him some time. His game is predicated on skill and he’s playing in the NCAA in his draft year. He’s not a one-and-done player at Michigan. He should be growing a lot this year. If he’s still making the same mistakes at the end of the year, you can talk about his lack of improvement as a concern. Some guys mature later on, though.

He could also play in the AHL next year, if the team that drafts him likes that idea better. I think he should probably play at least another NCAA season because I think Michigan is good at developing players, but its an option that Johnson has that a lot of Canadian players usually don't have.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is his first game as a center

the 2nd goal was his fault on a turnover
but he has provided some offense.
what about the other 2 goals. 2nd goal wasn't his fault .. it was misplayed by more than him.. partly his fault but he had the right idea

I will say this generally , he is bad defensively, lots to learn.. but that goal hmmm it was fumbled a few times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad