C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Posting something typed up in the Wings board, because I think it's relevant to general draft discussion.

To me, Kent Johnson is a classic victim of the hfboards game of telephone. First, someone says something like "Kent Johnson needs to improve his first step." Fair enough. Then a few weeks later someone in another thread says something like "Kent Johnson's skating needs work." Not necessarily wrong, but an oversimplification of the first point. Before you know it there's this growing online consensus that Kent Johnson can't skate.

I remember a similar thing with Dylan Cozens. Around New Year's he "lacked elite hockey IQ," but by draft day people talked about the kid like he couldn't read. I think a lot of folks struggle to differentiate the top prospects, so they overexaggerate some of their flaws.

From my viewings, the only real knocks on Johnson are the average first step, average top speed, and lack of strength. Nothing to hand-wave away, but as far as prospects go those are some of the most solvable flaws you can have. His edgework is very good, and he navigates tight spaces very effectively. His defensive work-rate and positioning are fine, not as good as someone like Beniers, but much better I think than a lot of other "offense-first" top prospects.

Offensively, his hands and puck control are great. His vision and iq are excellent, maybe not Zegras level of "pass it through the feet of three defenders to an open man," but probably the best in this draft class. I think his scoring upside is underrated, I haven't seen many prospects in this draft scoring goals like these against good competition:

I know UofM had a nice roster this year, but you don't move up from the BCHL to NCAA hockey during your draft year and score at a >point per game pace unless you're damn talented.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Good post, as with most things here, people have trouble limiting the hyperbole.

I've watched him for ~3 years now. His biggest flaws are what you've described. Top of mind for me is his skating, specifically his first steps and acceleration. With the way he likes to slow things down, circle back, or move to the inside, he'd have a leg up on your average top 6 player with an added step. He already has a + skillset in other areas (vision, puckhandling, IQ). Add a step and he could be a difficult guy to contain at the next level - a perfect complementary scoring threat. And again, as you've mentioned, none of that means he "can't" skate. It just needs some formal work.

The second element is, unsurprisingly strength. He grew quite a bit in a short period of time and the weight hasn't caught up yet. It'll come, and I think it'll help his skating as well.

He's the kind of bet a few GM's will be very happy to make.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
On top of strength and skating, he could use some additional intensity and attention to detail defensively.

What he has (high-end skill and smarts) you generally can't teach and his flaws (skating, weight, defensive play) can be fixed.

Good gamble to make for some team in the top 5-10.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Reminds me a lot of Casey Mittelstadt, hope he develops better.

Reactions: 57special

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The problem with Mittelstadt was its rush to develop. He was not ready for the NHL, and our GM and coach decided to replace ROR with them, which was a huge mistake. Now Mittelstadt is of course a completely different player and looks amazing.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

I've seen this comp a lot, I'm not sure I can agree. On draft day Mittelstadt had only shown a good production for like a 30 game stretch in the USHL then he went back and played high school hockey.

Kent Johnson just scored above a point-per-game pace in the NCAA, Mittelstadt didn't even match that production in the same conference during his D+1 year.

Most scouting reports praised Mittelstadt's speed, tenacity, and lower body strength, which are three of Johnson's biggest criticisms. On top of all that Buffalo (unsurprisingly) butchered Casey's initial development, so I don't think it's fair to project his shortcomings onto Johnson.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I've seen this comp a lot, I'm not sure I can agree. On draft day Mittelstadt had only shown a good production for like a 30 game stretch in the USHL then he went back and played high school hockey.

Kent Johnson just scored above a point-per-game pace in the NCAA, Mittelstadt didn't even match that production in the same conference during his D+1 year.

Most scouting reports praised Mittelstadt's speed, tenacity, and lower body strength, which are three of Johnson's biggest criticisms. On top of all that Buffalo (unsurprisingly) butchered Casey's initial development, so I don't think it's fair to project his shortcomings onto Johnson.

I don't think skating (quickness, speed, etc.) was ever a strength of Caseys.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I don't think skating (quickness, speed, etc.) was ever a strength of Caseys.

I think that's complicated. I agree with you that quickness/speed/etc. wasn't a strength of Casey's. But it was definitely advertised that way.

Casey Mittelstadt | Casey Mittelstadt Profile | Casey Mittelstadt Scouting Report 2017

https://thehockeywriters.com/casey-mittelstadt-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2017 NHL Draft Profile: The dynamic dominance of Casey Mittelstadt

C Casey Mittelstadt - The Draft Analyst

Most scouts and scouting reports at the time praised Mittelstadt's skating. I think they were wrong for what it's worth, we probably hadn't seen Casey consistently play against stronger competition, where his weaknesses would've been better highlighted. Granted, maybe his skating has improved now, I haven't seen enough of the Sabres this year to speak to that.

I just think Casey received more praise for his physical attributes where Johnson receives more praise for his cerebral attributes. There's some overlap for sure, but Mittelstadt wouldn't be my go-to comp for Johnson personally.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Mittlestadt was " fast enough", in the same way that Johnson is fast enough. CM's thing holding him back was indecisiveness in the NHL, and willingness to commit physically, or deal with physicality. His numbers weren't great with the Goohers, but he tended to dominate play there, but was playing on a dysfunctional team, with players who couldn't covert on some great dishes he served up for them.

I can't get inside Johnsons head, or Mittelstadt's, for that matter, but I suspect that Johnson will not be as easily intimidated as Casey. The skill on both is very evident, and for me, I'd rather take a chance on a guy with great skill and a good frame. Strength training takes a lot of sweat, but it's relatively easy to find great trainers, diet people, and to get stronger in the late teens/ early 20's. Getting a new set of hands is harder, and doesn't happen very often.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
an exciting offensive player hailing from ___ who has flair and loves to be dangerous. He thrives in situations where he can carry the puck and dish it off when he feels fit. Also tends to be strongest when incorporating an east-west game while on the attack. In the offensive zone, he does like to lug the puck and fake passes and shots while searching for just the right moment to make the killer play. Maintains good control of the puck and can use his body well in protecting it. Is very agile in making his twists and turns, especially when he has the puck, and isn’t afraid to try a number of things as part of the attack. Very good hands and craftiness once he has the puck, he also likes to hound opposition players, especially defensemen, in forcing turnovers, ready to pounce on them in hopes of creating two-on-one or breakaway situations. In addition, his shot has improved in leaps and bounds since coming to ___ and can be lethal from all over, particularly when using opponents as a screen.

hasn’t always shown the intensity to be a player in big games. Can handle the rough stuff, but too much of it turns him into a bit of a perimeter player. His still undersized frame doesn’t help that situation. Also tends to make poor decisions in trying to make the ‘super’ pass. Can also be physically slowed down in corners and held behind the play. Defensive zone coverage is clearly not a passion of his. He also has times where he seems more concentrated on deking out defenders than actually making a simple, effective play. Still has a ways to go before being a playmaker of sorts, even if he traditionally gathers more assists than goals.”

Pre-draft report on a current superstar. Sounds a hell of a lot like Johnson, save for the playmaker take.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the only real knock I have on Johnson is he doesn't move his feet enough. He has this really bad habit of standing basically still in the middle of the play and trying to reach for the puck. But that should be correctable. Like of all the players I've seen, most with mediocre speed have tried to make up for it by skating really hard. With Johnson, it's almost like he gets discouraged and it makes him skate less. He starts trying to do things like cheat on the play defensively so he can get a head start going back the other way.

If adding strength adds some top speed for him, look out. He's already got the hands, IQ, and creativity. Skating is all he needs now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the only real knock I have on Johnson is he doesn't move his feet enough. He has this really bad habit of standing basically still in the middle of the play and trying to reach for the puck. But that should be correctable. Like of all the players I've seen, most with mediocre speed have tried to make up for it by skating really hard. With Johnson, it's almost like he gets discouraged and it makes him skate less. He starts trying to do things like cheat on the play defensively so he can get a head start going back the other way.

If adding strength adds some top speed for him, look out. He's already got the hands, IQ, and creativity. Skating is all he needs now.
That's almost exactly like Mittelstadt. He would skate reasonably well, then almost freeze/coast, before either making a pass, move, or shot.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
His skating looks fine, especially for an 18 year old. a lot of skills coach will figure it out. His skating is not an issue.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Pre-draft report on a current superstar. Sounds a hell of a lot like Johnson, save for the playmaker take.

He'd go #1 if GMs thought he'd turn out anything like Pasternak. A shit load of things have to go perfectly in his development for that to happen.

The team also matters -- guys who get drafted by teams like Boston and Tampa have a much better chance of hitting their potential than if they were drafted by, say, Buffalo. I'd be more likely to draft Johnson if I had faith in my ability to develop him properly.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s a hard player to get a grasp on. If I had to bet, I’d say he becomes a pretty good top-line winger in the right situation. But, given the pace of his game I don’t thinks that’s a garauntee

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The University of Michigan Wolverines featured a number of top freshmen this season, and winger Kent Johnson is the third member of the team ranked in our top ten prospects for the 2021 NHL Draft. Johnson scored nine goals and added 18 assists for 26 points in 27 games this season. He was named to the Big Ten All-Rookie Team and was an Honourable Mention for the conference All-Star Team. Unfortunately, Johnson and his Wolverines Teammates were forced to withdraw from the Frozen Four Tournament due to a Covid-19 Outbreak amongst the team.

In 2019-20, Johnson was the CJHL’s Top Forward and the BCHL MVP after leading the league in goals, assists, and points. He had 41 goals and 60 assists for 101 points in 52 games for the Trail Smoke Eaters. He also put up seven points in four playoff games. The Port Moody, British Columbia native played for Team Canada Red at the Under-19 World Junior A Hockey Challenge scoring a goal and an assist in four games. His WHL rights are owned by the Everett Silvertips who drafted him 208th overall in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #9: Kent Johnson Scouting Report

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Interesting reading the comments on this kid. I just started watching some footage on Johnson and it seems that people are seeing the same things that I'm seeing; skating could use improvement, doesn't move his feet enough, defensive game needs work. My early impression is that Johnson has enough offensive ability that he's a fairly safe bet to be a solid top6 winger in the NHL, but I'm not so sure he'll be an elite player. I see a player who is very good at getting points on the board but doesn't bring a whole lot in other aspects of the game. I'm actually pretty curious to see what his GF% will be after a couple of years in the NHL. My sense is that he'll get scored on roughly as much as he scores. But of course he's young and it's certainly possible that he pays more attention to detail in his defensive game as well as work on his skating as he continues to develop.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad