C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don’t know. I remember him a lot at winger, but maybe I’m remembering wrong. This was years ago. I always thought he profiled at wing, and I think the results at center were very predictable.
I checked the game sheets from the 2018 WJC. He centered Tkachuk and Joey Anderson. I don't remember his usage for the Golden Gophers. I know he played the wing at the 2016 U-18's with Logan Brown and Yamamoto.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I checked the game sheets from the 2018 WJC. He centered Tkachuk and Joey Anderson. I don't remember his usage for the Golden Gophers. I know he played the wing at the 2016 U-18's with Logan Brown and Yamamoto.
He was a C with the Gophers.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I said it back in November. This is what their team could look like next season.

If Beecher, York and Power stay another year, they could ice this lineup.

Brisson-Johnson-Samoskevich
Bordeleau-Beecher-Duke
A. Fantili-Beniers-Ciccolini
Groll-Lambert-Williams

Power-York
Truscott-Hughes
Edwards-Blankenburg
L. Fantili

Portillo

Thats a ridiculous lineup. By my count, thats 15 definite picks, another two with a decent chance of being picks, six guys with top 10 potential, and potentially 10 first rounders. It's all hypothetical, but what a team that would be. You could argue that whole team consists of real NHL prospects or team captains.

I think the only things to change is that Mann is another option in goal as a real NHL prospect. Also, I believe Adam Fantili probably isn't going to attend next season, but Mark Estapa will and he might get drafted this year.

Thats probably one of the most talented NCAA teams ever, if not the most talented.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said it back in November. This is what their team could look like next season.

I think the only things to change is that Mann is another option in goal as a real NHL prospect. Also, I believe Adam Fantili probably isn't going to attend next season, but Mark Estapa will and he might get drafted this year.

Thats probably one of the most talented NCAA teams ever, if not the most talented.
Adam Fantilli isn't committed yet. It's his older brother who is Michigan bound. Now, it obviously puts them in a good spot to land him. It's the closest major NCAA team to his parents home in the GTA (although, Boston is incredibly easy to get to by air with direct flights). I think even after his older brother committed he still took visits elsewhere like NoDak.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Adam Fantilli isn't committed yet. It's his older brother who is Michigan bound. Now, it obviously puts them in a good spot to land him. It's the closest major NCAA team to his parents home in the GTA (although, Boston is incredibly easy to get to by air with direct flights). I think even after his older brother committed he still took visits elsewhere like NoDak.

There were rumors he might join his brother next year. Seems like it won't happen, given he's not committed yet, which is why I said he's probably not part of that list anymore. You would've expected some development on that front between November and now if it was going to happen.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Feeling like a Nashville pick to me. Would be a nice way to kickoff the rebuild

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Dreaming of a Tkachuk-Norris-Johnson line.

Mostly because he'd be the perfect winger for them (has he ever played on his off wing?).

But also partly because they'd have a line named after Chuck Norris' Johnson.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Heck of a breakdown here on Johnson from Josh Mallory. It's a bit of a long read with plenty of clips, so settle in.

MALLORY'S PLAYBOOK: Breaking down Johnson's game - FCHockey

I'm not so sure about the takeaways as they pertain to his skating, but a great read nonetheless. In my eyes, he absolutely needs to continue to add speed to his game. I really doubt he buys himself enough room to operate in the NHL without it.

This coming from the guy who started (well, I thought I did...) this thread.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could be Zegras, could be Mittelstadt, could be a mix of the two. Reminds me more of Mittelstadt.

He reminds me of Mittelstadt with a better chance to play center, but Mittelstadt was a good prospect. Not all good prospects pan out. Being similar to Mittelstadt as a prospect doesn’t mean he won’t be a star in the NHL.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Genuinely curious here.. just seems Johnson is often compared to both Zegras and Mittelstadt, with a more negative association towards Mittelstadt. However with Mittelsdadt now establishing himself as a legit top 6 NHLer (along with Zegras' continued rise as a prospect), is anyone starting to view Johnson more favorably in this draft?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Genuinely curious here.. just seems Johnson is often compared to both Zegras and Mittelstadt, with a more negative association towards Mittelstadt. However with Mittelsdadt now establishing himself as a legit top 6 NHLer (along with Zegras' continued rise as a prospect), is anyone starting to view Johnson more favorably in this draft?

Seems like a convoluted way of gathering an opinion on Johnson. To answer your question, no I really doubt teams are thinking that way.

Reactions: grentthealien

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Seems like a convoluted way of gathering an opinion on Johnson. To answer your question, no I really doubt teams are thinking that way.
Mitts has admitted that he had to grow up and improve his work ethic and how he prepared. He did the work and it is paying off for him. Don’t know about Johnson’s work ethic but the skill level is there.

I think Beniers is picked before him. If Beniers’ offence doesn’t develop you still have a high character, defensive centre who is good at face offs and works his butt off. If Johnson’s offence doesn’t develop you really don’t have a player. He is more high risk-high reward.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked Mittlestadt, but he was always in comfortable circumstances until he turned pro, and I don't think he was used to dealing with adversity. Stayed at his HS rather than Ann Arbor, went to his local college which is all of ten miles away, for the team he grew up watching. Basically, he had it really easy.

Johnson is a different case. He has changed countries, and moved thousands of miles away to play hockey. Was not gifted a spot on a junior international team. Had to deal with Covid affecting his ability to play, or even go home and visit his family. I would bet that Johnson is a little tougher mentally than Casey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad