C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's not a bad comparison, though I can't remember a damn thing about TT pre draft. I would think that Johnson is considered more talented?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think skating was probably more of an asset for Teuvo on draft day, but Johnson is bigger and should end up stronger imo.

In terms of production, the last couple seasons Teuvo has been around .9 points-per-game, which I'd say is firmly in the first line winger camp. If Johnson hits those numbers in his early/mid twenties then yeah I'd say that's certainly a good outcome.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He says his favorite NHLer is Elias Pettersson and models his game after him.

I think Johnson is the most skilled forward in this draft by a landslide. His ceiling is high. If he puts it all together you can be looking at an all star top line forward. A hybrid of Kane/Pettersson

Having said that, I do have concerns about his pace of play and moving his feet. Similar to Robbie Schremp from way back when. Damn, i remember when Robby destroyed the OHL with 145 pts in 57 games.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This kid is gonna be another Zegras I bet. So much skill but his flaws drop him lower than he should.
Doesn't have 4 way agility skating like Zegras or move his feet as much. I'd still take a gamble on him though.

One of Zegras biggest strengths are his hips/mobility, he can move any direction skating with the puck I don't see that at all with Kent Johnson...

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like his skating issues that people mention are not skating issues. They are pace of play issues. He plays E-W a lot. He also stops skating often. There are some bad skaters who look like they skate better than they do because they are max effort N-S players. It’s the opposite with Johnson. I don’t think he’s a bad skater. I like his edge work, and his acceleration is about average. If you get him to play a little differently, there won’t be questions about his skating because I don’t think the skating questions are skating questions.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I love Johnson. He reminds me of a spitting image of Kyle Connor at the same stage of development. Very similar games. I think Johnson will end up eerily similar in the NHL.

Kyle Connor is one of the best goal scorers in the NHL. Kent Johnson will never be anywhere near that conversation.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he pans out completely krejci

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My dream scenario is for the ducks to trade some of our older players to get another top 10 and land this guy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Would love to see this Wolverine slip to #11!!!!

Love the fit with Chicago who I think could take their time with Johnson and let him develop. Would be a great 1-2 punch with Dach to build around or a dynamic winger to help ease a post-Kane transition. I think the Blackhawks should shoot for upside here and this would be the ideal scenario.

I do wonder if the Wings look hard at him at #6. They could really use a dynamic center in the future and if they project Johnson as a center at the next level they can monitor him next door at UM. Just depends if they are wanting a project or a guy with a more polished game like Guenther or McTavish, if they do go with a forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I think Johnson is the most skilled forward in this draft by a landslide. His ceiling is high. If he puts it all together you can be looking at an all star top line forward. A hybrid of Kane/Pettersson

Having said that, I do have concerns about his pace of play and moving his feet. Similar to Robbie Schremp from way back when. Damn, i remember when Robby destroyed the OHL with 145 pts in 57 games.

Schremp definitely had pace of play issues but I think the biggest reason he was a bust was that he refused to play in a 5 man unit. Not going to work in the NHL always going 1 v 5. Johnson has great edges but his problem seems to be straight line speed. Leads me to believe he probably won't be a C at the next level unless he can improve this dramatically.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

i see the same thing, been comparing Kent to Kane since early season, so many similarities in their game. crazy part about Johnson is how little developped physically and still good at put protection. This kid is the most underated prospect in the draft.

Reactions: covfefe and Realgud

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
To me it all comes down to what type of kid he is. Scouts who talk to the people around him will know that, us as fans cannot.

If he's a certain type of kid, it might be that the reason he does the overly creative, semi-selfish stuff is because he doesn't trust the capabilities of those around him as much as he trusts himself. Of course, Beniers was out there with him so...

Anyhow, if he's a determined, team first person who is intelligent and thoughtful, then that skill set can't be taught, and he should go high. If he's just the equivalent of an illusionist with no substance, then he'll be a low rent Mike Ribeiro.

Seems to me as well that if he gets a little more speed (which isn't likely, but sometimes an inefficient stride can be fixed a little bit) then he's even more dangerous. Anyhow, he sort of reminds me of a Nikolaj Ehlers without superlative speed, or like a Jeff Skinner (when he was scoring) with more of a playmaking bent.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I always get a kick out of this - and it happens often enough. Prospects say that they've "modeled" their game off of a still greenish NHL player who only has a handful (or less) of pro seasons themselves... And you cant help but wonder if they've even watched them play an entire game in reality, because watching hockey was the last thing most junior hockey players are doing with their spare time...

Like for the Sens, Tim Stutzle made the comment that he grew up watching Conor McDavid as a kid - but if the math isnt lying, he was about 12 or 13 when McDavid was a rookie NHLer...

Personally speaking, as a kid growing up and playing hockey I always tried to model my game off of Brendan Shanahan. And being 85' born (03' draft if I was actually good) I cant help but feel like it would have been strange to answer that question with someone like Hossa or Heatley - rather than a well established long time NHLer that I had actually "grown up" watching and attempted to model my game after...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad