C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Of course he will, why wouldn't he?

You probably don't get the hype because the only time you've seen him play is as a double underager on a very underperforming international team.

I put ZERO stock into the opinion of someone whose only judgement off prospects comes from the WJC.

I'm not only basing off the WJC. I'm entitled to my opinion. I think Chychrun is a better prospect. You don't have to agree with me and I'm not asking you to agree with me. Both will be great players, I'm just saying IF I WAS A GM (I know I'm not), I would take Chychrun.

I've watched him play in the USHL and with the US NDTP. I know he puts up amazing numbers. Based on what i've watched, i think Eichel is a better player also I think Chychrun is a defenseman that is on elite status.

dwanmaster*

I'm not only basing off the WJC. I'm entitled to my opinion. I think Chychrun is a better prospect. You don't have to agree with me and I'm not asking you to agree with me. Both will be great players, I'm just saying IF I WAS A GM (I know I'm not), I would take Chychrun.

I've watched him play in the USHL and with the US NDTP. I know he puts up amazing numbers. Based on what i've watched, i think Eichel is a better player also I think Chychrun is a defenseman that is on elite status.

Oh well I didn't watch Chychrun in the WJC-18s, WHC-17s or Hlinka because he was injured for all of them

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oh well I didn't watch Chychrun in the WJC-18s, WHC-17s or Hlinka because he was injured for all of them

:handclap: I guess teams should stay away from Chychrun cause he had shoulder surgery. Ignorance I tell you.

Like I said I'm not denying Matthews is a star, but he's not the clear cut #1 and I'm sure there are a number of people who would agree with me.

dwanmaster*

:handclap: I guess teams should stay away from Chychrun cause he had shoulder surgery. Ignorance I tell you.

Like I said I'm not denying Matthews is a star, but he's not the clear cut #1 and I'm sure there are a number of people who would agree with me.

Yeah just like Matthews isn't the clear cut #1 because of his performance a year and a half before his draft at the WJC's :laugh:

Oh and here's a challenge: Go find any list anywhere that doesn't have Matthews at #1. I'll wait.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It will be interesting to see how this effects him long term.

I've never been a fan of draft eligibles playing in Men's leagues. I don't think it does much at all for NHL preperation. I also think they stunt offensive development. I think there's a reason the Fin's aren't producing elite offensive talent and I blame the FHL in part.

Can't deny an adult trying to make a living though. So best of luck to him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah just like Matthews isn't the clear cut #1 because of his performance a year and a half before his draft at the WJC's :laugh:

Oh and here's a challenge: Go find any list anywhere that doesn't have Matthews at #1. I'll wait.

This just proves you didn't read my ****ing post. I said it's not only based on his WJC performance. I watched a lot of junior games last year. USHL and OHL. Then whenever I could catch Jesse play online I'd try. This is coming from a Canadian who actually enjoys watching the US NDTP a lot.

Upon comparing and contrasting, there isn't a big difference in terms of skill or size between Jesse and Auston. The big difference is that Auston is a better skater and he is a center. Jesse plays on the wing. I find that Jesse gets himself into space much better than Auston does, but Auston is more dynamic.

Both have their pro's and con's. When it comes to Jakob Chychrun he is on a level above the rest when it comes to defense prospects. He is so steady for a player his age. Understands the game well and is usually in solid position. He really has the potential to be a franchise d if he keeps evolving his game and he is probably NHL ready right now.

It is literally a matter of preference, you can't go wrong with any of those three. But to suggest that teams aren't exploring Jesse or Jakob at #1 as well is pure ignorance. And I actually know a number of scouts and in talking to them, some feel Matthews is definitely going #1 and there are a few who believe that Jesse and Jakob certainly can and WILL make a case to really challenge Matthews and they wouldn't be surprised if some teams in the NHL have Jesse or Jakob rated higher than Auston.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
finally it's official. It's been known for a long time, there were just problems with his permit because he's a minor.

I'm certainly going to a home game this year to see him play, usually I don't care about the Swiss league.

Dec 13, 2010
Can you educate me and provide some reasoning for this? There've been occasions where Eichel hasn't brought his A-game every night, but other than that I don't think Matthews has anything on Eichel. Both are dynamic, highly skilled and imaginative, but the strength and range of Eichel makes him much harder to contain. Furthermore, I think Eichel's ability to control the play and force his will is on an even higher level than with Matthews. Eichel proved that he can already make an impact against men at the World Championships, I have a hard time seeing Matthews doing the same next spring.

Without getting into a full scouting report on Matthews, the belief is he's just a more well-rounded player. Eichel and Matthews have very few similarities in the way they play outside of being big, dominant centers. While Matthews won't offer you the same explosive outbursts you get on a regular basis with Eichel, he'll give you more of a 200-ft game.

BTW, none of this is taking anything away from Puljujarvi. I've seen him in person a handful of times and think he's an immense talent, I just think Matthews is better.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
All Euro leagues break for international tournaments, 4 times per season and are more International 'friendly' and likely to release players to their respective National Teams than are NHL teams.

I really can't think of any instance where a European team didn't release a junior eligible player. Maybe it has happened, I just don't know of one.

European leagues usually have deals with local hockey associations that require clubs to release players for certain NT events. If that's not the case in Switzerland in general, I'm sure Matthews has a clause in his contract that will allow him to participate in the WJC.

I know Finnish Liiga clubs have to release players for the WJC, even foreign players.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think he's getting bad advice from either his parents or an agent. They are just seeing cash up front, hence his move to Zurich. This is an ugly move, one unseen before from an NHL prospect. This makes Carl Lindros look like a parent with decent motives.

Why not allow your kid to dominate play in the CHL or NCAA with kids his age?

Wonder if it hurts his draft status...think teams may question his character?

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
For the purpose of his NHL rights (post 2016 draft) would he be considered a Euro?

I think him going to Europe is a good move because he MIGHT not make an NHL roster next year. The new lottery system for 2016 could mean a fringe playoff team could select him 1-3. For example if the Islanders falter and miss the playoffs and "win" the lottery (picks 1-3), I highly doubt he would start 2016-17 in the NHL.

If he played the 2015-16 season in the WHL, what would his options be if he didn't make the NHL in 2016-17? Another WHL season?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I think it will be a good life experience for him. Live abroad where most speak English, make some money (and give back to your family if you're so inclined), avoid the grueling WHL schedule, and test yourself against a higher quality of competition.

I'm just disappointed I won't see as much of his games as I could otherwise.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
As much as I don't want to support the Lions financially, you will definitely see me at the Hallenstadion from time to time.

You don't see potential 1st overalls that often around here.

snizzbone*

For the purpose of his NHL rights (post 2016 draft) would he be considered a Euro?

I think him going to Europe is a good move because he MIGHT not make an NHL roster next year. The new lottery system for 2016 could mean a fringe playoff team could select him 1-3. For example if the Islanders falter and miss the playoffs and "win" the lottery (picks 1-3), I highly doubt he would start 2016-17 in the NHL.

If he played the 2015-16 season in the WHL, what would his options be if he didn't make the NHL in 2016-17? Another WHL season?

If he had played in the WHL this year he wouldn't be able to play in the AHL until he turns 20. So his post draft year he could play WHL, NHL, or go overseas. But if he had gone to the NCAA or Europe, he can play in the AHL in his post draft year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wonder if it hurts his draft status...think teams may question his character?

Teams will likely ask him about it, but I don't think it would affect his draft stock. Gare Joyce wrote a book about the 2006/07 Drafts. From the book, I recall that Jonathan Toews was asked about why he chose North Dakota after he was taken 1st overall in the WHL Bantam Draft. Other teams asked why Peter Mueller chose to play in the WHL over college since most Minnesota guys go the NCAA route.

I'd imagine most teams would acknowledge that Matthews is a unique case given his birthdate.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
I don't see how that would be the case. A student athlete's schedule us grueling and don't forget he'd have to accelerate his education to be accepted. That's a considerable amount of work even for someone as privaledged as Mathews.

The CHL, particularly the WHL is probably the most grueling schedule in all of hockey with the travel and level of competition. Way more games and travel than NLA. Probably 2x the games.

There's a reason so many players from the CHL jump straight into the NHL. They are already pros and groomed to be such in every way.

Are you good in maths??

And you can add a few more games than regular NLA scedule with Champions Hockey League and Swiss Cup. And he will miss less regular season games during WJC than in the WHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad