C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm just going to assume that you'll overrate the Finns, because there is absolutely nothing to suggest that anyone would have Laine over Matthews. That's like Rantanen over Eichel.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
What first overall caliber CHLer was hurt by playing in the CHL during his draft year?

You think he's better than McDavid? Or did playing in the CHL hurt McDavid last year? I mean, you'd imagine he could have gone to europe too.

What does this have to do with McDavid?

Anyway since you mentioned it, I do believe that McDavid was too good for the CHL and playing in Europe with and against men would've done him lots of good.

Dec 13, 2010
But those lists aren't made by real NHL scouts. Learn the difference.

Some of those lists have input from NHL scouts though. And some of those lists even are used by NHL scouts as a good reference point. Not every team has eyes on guys 2-3 years out of their draft year outside of maybe once a year, even if they're as good as Matthews. The independent services are watching kids 4-5 years out of their draft year and putting up rankings well in advance.

There's a reason that Matthews is a consensus #1 on every independent list. Not all of those people are stupid. Could that change in 4-5 months? Yeah sure. But it won't change at this camp.

For whatever it's worth at this camp last year the buzz was that there were multiple scouts and GMs in attendance who ranked Matthews ahead of Eichel. I have heard this from more than one GM.

Also, for those of you putting the emphasis on "why are scouts there if the games don't matter?" comments: the scouts generally don't stay past the first round of cuts. Last year it went from every NHL team having a rep on day 2 (day 1 was relatively empty) to a handful sticking around after the cuts. I'm not there this year but I'd guess all the scouts left on the last day of there being 2 teams.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I'm just going to assume that you'll overrate the Finns, because there is absolutely nothing to suggest that anyone would have Laine over Matthews. That's like Rantanen over Eichel.
Laine is 18 months younger than Rantanen and he's already having an equally high impact to the game at Lake Placid. Laine has everything that Rantanen has plus an elite shot and scoring instincts. Laine is a superior prospect compared to Rantanen, there's no question about it.

I already admitted that I'm being a bit provocative in one of my earlier posts, but that's just to get some discussion going and challenge the belief that Matthews is the next Messiah. I don't think he's a clear-cut number one or a slam dunk NHL franchise centre in a few years, you need to have more than just pretty puck handling and some eye-catching plays for that.

There's a reason that Matthews is a consensus #1 on every independent list. Not all of those people are stupid. Could that change in 4-5 months? Yeah sure. But it won't change at this camp.
It's quite understandable that Matthews was the consensus #1 on public lists after last season, but those rankings are quickly becoming even more irrelevant as the new season gears up and the outlook starts changing. Public lists often react with some delay to what's happening on the field, it certainly won't take 4-5 months for NHL teams to draw conclusions.

For whatever it's worth at this camp last year the buzz was that there were multiple scouts and GMs in attendance who ranked Matthews ahead of Eichel. I have heard this from more than one GM.
Can you educate me and provide some reasoning for this? There've been occasions where Eichel hasn't brought his A-game every night, but other than that I don't think Matthews has anything on Eichel. Both are dynamic, highly skilled and imaginative, but the strength and range of Eichel makes him much harder to contain. Furthermore, I think Eichel's ability to control the play and force his will is on an even higher level than with Matthews. Eichel proved that he can already make an impact against men at the World Championships, I have a hard time seeing Matthews doing the same next spring.

Also, for those of you putting the emphasis on "why are scouts there if the games don't matter?" comments: the scouts generally don't stay past the first round of cuts. Last year it went from every NHL team having a rep on day 2 (day 1 was relatively empty) to a handful sticking around after the cuts. I'm not there this year but I'd guess all the scouts left on the last day of there being 2 teams.
Last year was last year, the draft prospect setting in Lake Placid is noticeably better this year with Matthews, Laine, Puljujärvi and Tkachuk leading the way.

arsmaster*

What does this have to do with McDavid?

Anyway since you mentioned it, I do believe that McDavid was too good for the CHL and playing in Europe with and against men would've done him lots of good.

I don't think going to the big rink does much for him to be honest.

It's all about $$$$ IMO.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
John Shannon says he's going to Zurich. Announcement later today.

Bummer, really wanted him to go to the WHL so I might be able to see him play. Really interested to see how he performs over there. Also really jealous he gets to live in Switzerland haha

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Nice. Will be interesting to see how he does. More could follow suit in the future if he does well.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Wow! Excited to see him play for my team! Mier sind Züri! :yo:

Edit: Apparently the visa issues could be resolved. Matthews is allowed to play for the team after his 18th birthday (September 18th).

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Damn. As a Silvertips fan I wanted him in Everett. But this will interesting, especially if more prospects follow suit in the future.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Yessssssss, now I really can´t wait for the new season!:yo::yo::yo:

$ is somewhere below 500´000

member 147413

Make a **** tonne and live abroad playing hockey. Gotta say that's an amazing life experience, but I honestly don't know what to make of it for his hockey development.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm surprised by the amount of people who think this is a good idea. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad decision, just people are so on board with the idea that this is the best course for his development. I find it hard to judge since I haven't seen him play much so I don't know whether he'd be so dominant in the CHL or NCAA that it would be a waste of time like some suggest (I don't think there has been a player in the history of the game where this was the case).

Serious question: is he just not willing to put in the work to go to the NCAA early like Eichel? Or is money really that big of an issue here?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Good for him for making money and wanting to be a trend setter but this is a dumb move for his hockey career and draft stock. European hockey is a different game and honestly I don't think Matthews is the decisive #1. I would take Pulijarvi or Chychrun over him. I think him going to the NCAA would have been the best thing for him, good exposure and facing tough opponents, while getting the opportunity to work out often and get an education. But hey gotta follow the money I guess. I think this will hurt his draft stock especially if Pulijarvi turns it up a notch and Chychrun has a good season.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm surprised by the amount of people who think this is a good idea. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad decision, just people are so on board with the idea that this is the best course for his development. I find it hard to judge since I haven't seen him play much so I don't know whether he'd be so dominant in the CHL or NCAA that it would be a waste of time like some suggest (I don't think there has been a player in the history of the game where this was the case).

Serious question: is he just not willing to put in the work to go to the NCAA early like Eichel? Or is money really that big of an issue here?

Wouldn't turning pro be more work than playing in the NCAA? Way more responsibility, way tougher schedule.

snizzbone*

Wouldn't turning pro be more work than playing in the NCAA? Way more responsibility, way tougher schedule.

NLA isn't that tough a schedule.. easier than the WHL at least in terms of games played.

Dog

I hope he tears it up and more people follow this pattern in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad