C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
ZSC are also in the Champions Hockey league but no tasty prospects matchups in theyre first group stage meetings

Group 16: ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI), Eisbaren Berlin (GER), Gap Rapaces (FRA)

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The life experience of living in Switzerland is worth it more than the money. He gets to play an easier schedule with plenty of time to travel, and work with a Stanley Cup winning coach.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm surprised by the amount of people who think this is a good idea. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad decision, just people are so on board with the idea that this is the best course for his development. I find it hard to judge since I haven't seen him play much so I don't know whether he'd be so dominant in the CHL or NCAA that it would be a waste of time like some suggest (I don't think there has been a player in the history of the game where this was the case).

Serious question: is he just not willing to put in the work to go to the NCAA early like Eichel? Or is money really that big of an issue here?

I think the issue is his age. He was 3 days from being in the 2015 draft. He would likely be in the NHL this year if he were. I'm sure he sees himself in the McEichel tier and they will be going against pros. In my opinion, he did this to be in as close to NHL competition as he could be.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I'm glad he was able to finally sign in Switzerland. He is ready to start playing against professionals and this will help him more than playing in the WHL or NCAA.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Pretty much everyone else does, though. So your opinion doesn't count for much.

We'll see. I bet there are a few teams that would take Chychrun over Matthews. I don't get the hype over Matthews, he was not special in the WJC. Eichel is better lol.

snizzbone*

We'll see. I bet there are a few teams that would take Chychrun over Matthews. I don't get the hype over Matthews, he was not special in the WJC. Eichel is better lol.

Eichel is like 11 months older.

Eichel in draft year -1:
45 points in 24 USHL games
87 points in 53 USDP games
10 points in 7 WJC-U18 games
5 points in 5 WJC-U20games

Matthews in draft year -1:
48 points in 24 USHL games
116 points in 60 USDP games
15 points in 7 WJC-U18 games
3 points in 5 WJC-U20 games

It's safe to say Matthews is close to Eichel status. He's the same size as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wonder if he'll play in the world juniors?

Of course he will, why wouldn't he?

You probably don't get the hype because the only time you've seen him play is as a double underager on a very underperforming international team.

I put ZERO stock into the opinion of someone whose only judgement off prospects comes from the WJC.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah but surely the NCAA schedule is easier than both. Plus hockey is now his job, that comes with more pressure.

Being a student athlete is a ridiculous amount of work, though. It's not like just training, practice, and game night. Playing in Switzerland will provide a pro-level atmosphere without the heavy workloads and commitment that comes with the NCAA.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Of course he will, why wouldn't he?

You probably don't get the hype because the only time you've seen him play is as a double underager on a very underperforming international team.

I put ZERO stock into the opinion of someone whose only judgement off prospects comes from the WJC.

For the same reason he's playing pro and not in the WHL. MONEY plus the fact he will need to be released by his team. Some NHL teams don't release players for the tournament so I'm not sure if his new team will

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wow, really interesting.

Truth to be told I've never considered this option for a top pick. They seem to do great coming of that year in College/Juniors. Guys like Kane, MacKinnon and co are always well prepared.

But I've definitely wondered many times regarding good 19 y/o who didn't make the NHL if the best option for them wouldn't have been to go to Europe instead of dominating "another year" in the CHL. Rarely does that year seem to do them much good, if anything they often seem to get off track a bit. A great 19 y/o who is a early bloomer shouldn't play against other kids.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
For the same reason he's playing pro and not in the WHL. MONEY plus the fact he will need to be released by his team. Some NHL teams don't release players for the tournament so I'm not sure if his new team will

I can already tell this is going to be some people's narrative even though they have no idea. What makes you think this is all about money?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I can already tell this is going to be some people's narrative even though they have no idea. What makes you think this is all about money?

what makes you think its not? If it's not the money what could be the other options? Playing in NCAA or WHL is the more accepted route to NHL.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

All Euro leagues break for international tournaments, 4 times per season and are more International 'friendly' and likely to release players to their respective National Teams than are NHL teams.

I really can't think of any instance where a European team didn't release a junior eligible player. Maybe it has happened, I just don't know of one.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014

You've got it wrong. This decision isn't about money. It's about quality of competition.

He'll be off making his millions in the NHL soon anyway.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Eichel, Mathews

Thon Maker, Jamaal Murray, Andrew Wiggins.

Did we enter some sort of parallel universe?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wouldn't turning pro be more work than playing in the NCAA? Way more responsibility, way tougher schedule.

I don't see how that would be the case. A student athlete's schedule us grueling and don't forget he'd have to accelerate his education to be accepted. That's a considerable amount of work even for someone as privaledged as Mathews.

The CHL, particularly the WHL is probably the most grueling schedule in all of hockey with the travel and level of competition. Way more games and travel than NLA. Probably 2x the games.

There's a reason so many players from the CHL jump straight into the NHL. They are already pros and groomed to be such in every way.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Good on him. Hope he has a good season. He'll get lots of practice time with Zurich, gets to learn from Marc Crawford, compared to a WHL schedule the travel won't be as crazy. Some could argue that won't prepare him or the NHL, but neither does an NCAA schedule if we're going to be technical about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad