Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His defensive analytics - things like CF% and xG%, both individual and relative to teammates - look virtually identical to Roz's. So while there's no specific eye-test thing I can point to and say "see? See? That's why", I'm not convinced he's overall that much better either.

Roslovic's CF% and xG% are fine. There's no issue there. So finding players with comparable numbers to Jack wouldn't tell you anything.

Now if he had Laine-caliber numbers (through the damn floor) then I'd be throwing fits.

Reactions: CPTN71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm fine with this. But I'm not sure how Elvis will handle losing either. He seemed pretty miserable this year, but the whole team seemed that way. IDK. I'm not opposed to just hanging onto Elvis and trading Korpi for whatever, but If Elvis can get you something good I think it has to be considered.
The thing we haven't talked about is if either of them want to "test free agency" as well. We are also entering the negotiation with both of them the same time as Jones. If Elvis also pulls this I will absolutely be destroyed as fan of this team and I think the original expansion roster might look better than what we'll have next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So are we trying to be a bubble team or suck?

We (the fans) don't know yet.

We know they're not keeping Jones, but whether they keep going by trading him for a good player (Marner? Eichel?) or blow it up in a rebuild, that's unknown to us.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Montreal showed teams hasn`t to have 1C, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, plus Staal. Only Eric was, but was. If we rebuilt the roster we can have Roslovic-Domi-Texier-Foudy/... central line. Simply they needed experiences plus COVID season.
Toronto with Matthews, Marner etc ... you understand. So why we could spend money for Marner who plays good in the line with Matthews? Or try to take Reinhart, Eichel etc. I`m afraid Vancouver won`t trade J.T. Miller.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Montreal showed teams hasn`t to have 1C, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, plus Staal. Only Eric was, but was. If we rebuilt the roster we can have Roslovic-Domi-Texier-Foudy/... central line. Simply they needed experiences plus COVID season.
Toronto with Matthews, Marner etc ... you understand. So why we could spend money for Marner who plays good in the line with Matthews? Or try to take Reinhart, Eichel etc. I`m afraid Vancouver won`t trade J.T. Miller.

Everybody knows Montreal doesn’t have a shot against the best teams.

Montreal should not be the model looked after, Colorado should be

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

You can't copy Colorado's model because a huge amount of their success comes from a bullet point that reads "Draft arguably best player in the world".

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
You can't copy Colorado's model because a huge amount of their success comes from a bullet point that reads "Draft arguably best player in the world".

Unfortunately, that is likely the only path for Columbus to be relevant. The Cavs tried it many other ways but it took a lucky ping pong ball to get LeBron that changed things during his tenure. Columbus needs to luck into the guy that every other team wishes they had that makes Nationwide Arena the best ticket in town. Get that guy and you win a lot and it completely changes the impression of your franchise. It is not really a plan, but it is the likely reality.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Unfortunately, that is likely the only path for Columbus to be relevant. The Cavs tried it many other ways but it took a lucky ping pong ball to get LeBron that changed things during his tenure. Columbus needs to luck into the guy that every other team wishes they had that makes Nationwide Arena the best ticket in town. Get that guy and you win a lot and it completely changes the impression of your franchise. It is not really a plan, but it is the likely reality.

That's the crux of the problem. You're talking about luck. Name one time this franchise has had any luck come their way. Lose the coin flip at the expansion draft, got the lower of the first round picks at the first entry draft, and they've never won the lottery. I still contend that this franchise was never built properly from the start and I have always blamed MacLean. He didn't know what he was doing and here we are 20 years later, still trying to pick up the pieces. Are things better? They were until recently. Will they get better? I guess that remains to be seen, but I think we have competent management in charge IMO. All I know is that something is wrong somewhere in the organization that repels star players.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
That's the crux of the problem. You're talking about luck. Name one time this franchise has had any luck come their way. Lose the coin flip at the expansion draft, got the lower of the first round picks at the first entry draft, and they've never won the lottery. I still contend that this franchise was never built properly from the start and I have always blamed MacLean. He didn't know what he was doing and here we are 20 years later, still trying to pick up the pieces. Are things better? They were until recently. Will they get better? I guess that remains to be seen, but I think we have competent management in charge IMO. All I know is that something is wrong somewhere in the organization that repels star players.

The Penguins sucked until they lucked into Lemieux and then Crosby. If message boards were around in the 1970s and early 1980s their fans would have posted the same things. The Patriots changed when they stumbled onto Tom Brady. As fans we like to believe you just have to strategize your way to success, but when you are based in a place that has no natural draw to talent, that rarely works.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Absolutely.... enough with trying to piece a lineup together. No reason to target a Dannault, Reinhart. I would point out Montreal is going the Colorado route though.. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are going to be very, very good Centers, which is why we need to do this the correct way. Get as many elite prospects/ picks you can for Jones and Werenski , Korpi, Nyquist . On top of these returns, we should be looking at a top 3 pick next yr which is imperative . Ice a team this season that can skate, is focused on playing much more creative, open hockey . This has me much more excited thank looking forward to dump and chase, grind out hockey we've watched at Nationwide the past 10 yrs. Our fans complain its like a morgue at Nationwide, unless its a big game... most of that is the boring , boring style they have played. JD needs to be out front, have a heartfelt press conference that he totally gets the fans frustration, but this is the agressive plan we are taking. This draft has some really good players in the top 10... next years draft can change your franchise, especially picking towards the top. Bettman doesnt want Columbus to fail as a franchise, and its amazing how those ping pong balls seem to come up the way the league needs them to be :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7201

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It’s better model than trying to compete without a franchise C or a D.

Next years draft has multiple potential franchise C’s.

You have a 4th overall pick in this years draft+ 2 late 1sts’.

Jones should land a top prospect on his own

Then you have either Laine& Werenski or their trade returns.

& it’s not just Colorado, look at the real top teams/Cup winners

La
Chicago
Boston
Tampa
Colorado
Carolina
Pens
Blues
Washington
What do they have in common?

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Absolutely, enough with trying to piece a lineup together. No reason to target a Dannault, Reinhart. I would point out Montreal is going the Colorado route though.. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are going to be very, very good, which is why we need to do this the correct way. Get as many elite prospects/ picks you can for Jones and Werenski , Korpi, Nyquist . On top of these returns, we should be looking at a top 3 pick next yr which is imperative . Ice a team this season that can skate, is focused on playing much more creative, open hockey . This has me much more excited thank looking forward to dump and chase, grind out hockey we've watched at Nationwide the past 10 yrs. Our fans complain its like a morgue at Nationwide, unless its a big game... most of that is the boring , boring style they have played.

Montreal’s F group is actually developing quite nicely.
The issue is at the same time Weber/Petry/Price are nearing the end of their prime/career

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Montreal’s F group is actually developing quite nicely.
The issue is at the same time Weber/Petry/Price are nearing the end of their prime/career
Agree, their farm system is strong.. and with that core, Free Agents will line up to play there.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If you retool, maybe this would be fun:

Trade Korpi+1st for Hertl (maybe more)
Trade Jones+Domi for Marner
Trade for Nate Schmidt

Laine - Hertl - Marner
Bjork - Roslovic - Atkinson
Nyquist - Tex - Bemm
Robinson - Jenner - Foudy

Werenski - Schmidt
Gav - Peeke/Lethonen
Kukan/MDZ/Peeke/Lethonen

Merz
Kiv

Another RHD would be good but that's an interesting alternative to a full rebuild to me. Really depends on the returns that get offered (and the draft lottery).

Reactions: CPTN71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you retool, maybe this would be fun:

Trade Korpi+1st for Hertl (maybe more)
Trade Jones+Domi for Marner
Trade for Nate Schmidt

Laine - Hertl - Marner
Bjork - Roslovic - Atkinson
Nyquist - Tex - Bemm
Robinson - Jenner - Foudy

Werenski - Schmidt
Gav - Peeke/Lethonen
Kukan/MDZ/Peeke/Lethonen

Merz
Kiv

Another RHD would be good but that's an interesting alternative to a full rebuild to me. Really depends on the returns that get offered (and the draft lottery).

Perhaps not those exact trades (I know you're just spitballing) but I don't think that's all too far-fetched. There's still opportunity to add another center and a depth RHD that give Foudy and Peeke a full season (with call-ups) in Cleveland next year.

Reactions: cslebn

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Lets not overthink it. It is about winning. Figure out the formula to win, and give your organization a chance to win and you become attractive to good players. There is no easy fix to this - we need to draft well. We need to develop our players. The cap is in place to give equality to all organizations. How The CBJ spends their salary.. well we need to get better at that. When we have the "perceived hammer" don't use it to inflict pain on your own assets. Get business marketing partners to join in marketing with your team, endorsements and such. Which sandwich was Seth Jones goto at Wendy's, White Castle, which steak did he like at Hyde Parke what was his favorite car to drive, what was his first car? Well, we will never know because the best marketing of Seth Jones was just done by the NHL when they ran the add on Seth and his favorite team growing up. This included flashbacks of his career highlights - done in anticipation of Seth opting towards free agency. Enough said. We were led to believe Seth Jones is a shy introvert.. are you fricking kidding me, the man is extremely well spoken and had opinions on things - we just didn't ask the right questions.

WARNING: this is not the time to go cheap on your Head Coach and staff. We need development in the organization. Don't look at this as the tank years or players will not be able to just flip the switch and play better when you are through tanking. and if the lottery ball doesn't go your way, have an overriding plan to succeed.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I did a mini-majormajor-esque offseason concept. I didn't go as in-depth, so you're just going to have to figure out how certain players were added or where certain current Jackets are for yourself - but this is the resulting lineup.

Domi-Danault/Hertl-Bjorkstrand
Laine-Danault/Hertl-Nyquist/Atkinson
Texier-Roslovic-Nyquist/Atkinson
Robinson-Jenner-Chinakov

Gavrikov-Jones
Werenski-Lehtonen
MDZ-Brandon Montour/Travis Hamonic/Luke Schenn
Harrington

Only fixed assumptions:
Jones is signed obviously
CBJ's 2021 first-rounder is not traded

The rest is just sorta free-thinking with a general idea of players that could be added and how.

EDIT:
I never added the goalies! The paper I scribbled my notes on did but I never transferred it over here.

Merzlikins
Petr Mrazek/Antti Raanta (I'd be OK with James Reimer here, too - in truth there are decent depth goalies always available - Hell, Korpi works too, but I figured he'd maybe go as part of the Hertl deal)

Combine this with @cslebn above and the only real differences are Schmidt and Marner for Jones and Domi, i.e. what Jones' decision forced Jarmo to do. It's a lot, and probably too much, but I don't feel like it's a crazy, video-game type of suggestion.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Combine this with @cslebn above and the only real differences are Schmidt and Marner for Jones and Domi, i.e. what Jones' decision forced Jarmo to do. It's a lot, and probably too much, but I don't feel like it's a crazy, video-game type of suggestion.
As someone who plays the NHL series video game those trades do feel like what I try to do every year — but I totally enjoy it that way :laugh:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I agree but my comment wanted to show that trading TOP or even 1C for prospects or your players who have one bad season isn`t solution. As I wrote I prefer wotk with our youngs players, help them to progress and and don`t depreciate especially young players after one bad season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad