Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I respect everyones efforts in trying to maintain a decent team on the ice while another year(s) of drama is upon us. What I don't want to see is band aides being put on a still very open wound. If we're going to be bad....let's be bad. I know it's not what some want to hear. There are but a few players that have openly commited to this team in more ways than words alone (Cam, Bjorsktrand, Gavrikov). Zach is all that is left from the group of former younger players/leaders that could want out. The rest of the "core group of talent" over the past few years have now all left. Now is the time to find out about Zach. Not next year. Now. He's either in or out. Then the former coach and all of the former players who all didn't want to be here are gone. Then the exercism can be completed.

This team can and will rebuild. There will be a new wave of players (we only need one good one to start the trend) who will embrace playing here. Yes it's going to be a while and painful. The sooner is starts the better.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I respect everyones efforts in trying to maintain a decent team on the ice while another year(s) of drama is upon us. What I don't want to see is band aides being put on a still very open wound. If we're going to be bad....let's be bad. I know it's not what some want to hear. There are but a few players that have openly commited to this team in more ways than words alone (Cam, Bjorsktrand, Gavrikov). Zach is all that is left from the group of former younger players/leaders that could want out. The rest of the "core group of talent" over the past few years have now all left. Now is the time to find out about Zach. Not next year. Now. He's either in or out. Then the former coach and all of the former players who all didn't want to be here are gone. Then the exercism can be completed.

This team can and will rebuild. There will be a new wave of players (we only need one good one to start the trend) who will embrace playing here. Yes it's going to be a while and painful. The sooner is starts the better.
The "don't add bandaids" point is understandable, altho one must note that throwing prospects to the wolves rarely ends well so sometimes some acquisitions are needed that may look that way. But overall that's the kind of rebuild that I think is reasonable. It's the "dump people so we can be SURE we'll be bad" stuff that results in orgies of violence and cleansing flame.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That reminds me - how well did Angelo Esposito's career go, again?
Not as well as Teuvu Teravainen's is going. Fallers usually fail more than risers but its not a certainty. I basically never agree with that poster but I could get behind taking a chance like that with 3 1st rounders as of now

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3C? A year ago he was the number 1 prospect in this draft.

Yes and he's not even listed in the first round on some draft lists.

The word on Raty is that he excelled at younger ages mostly because he was bigger, faster, stronger, and has fantastic quick hands. But now that the other kids in his age group have matured somewhat he's not able to do much offensively. He's still a strong center but doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck when he gets in the offensive zone.

He could be a good pick around our late 1sts, but not great value before that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not as well as Teuvu Teravainen's is going. Fallers usually fail more than risers but its not a certainty. I basically never agree with that poster but I could get behind taking a chance like that with 3 1st rounders as of now
With three 1sts, I wouldn't mind spending one on him if he falls that far. Trading up? Not all that interested.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Yes and he's not even listed in the first round on some draft lists.

The word on Raty is that he excelled at younger ages mostly because he was bigger, faster, stronger, and has fantastic quick hands. But now that the other kids in his age group have matured somewhat he's not able to do much offensively. He's still a strong center but doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck when he gets in the offensive zone.

He could be a good pick around our late 1sts, but not great value before that.
If we don’t need to trade up that would be great. But if the picks are after 25th OA we may have to.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
With three 1sts, I wouldn't mind spending one on him if he falls that far. Trading up? Not all that interested.
You act like I’m asking to pick him 7th OA.

If we are trading up in the 5-10 range it should be for Johnson.

I am simply suggesting moving from 25-31 to 19-24 range. It shouldn’t take much.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like a lot of this and can get behind it.

Agreed with step 1. I would probably skew more to a C since the top of this draft is heavy on D.

Agreed completely with step 2.

Agreed on step 3.

Step 4 is fine. But we have plenty of those type of guys. We could roll with Werenski-Kukan Gavrikov-Peeke Harrington/MDZ-Lehtonen/Carlsson is we wanted to. The goal isn't really to win next year so might as well give everyone a chance. But I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy.

Don't agree with step 4.5. If you're not going to be competing next year, and they won't, you might as well save your money and spend it in the future. Danault and Granlund will try to cash in. And Krejci will probably want a sweet final contract too, and by the time we'll be competing all of these guys will be into their 30s.

Agreed on 5. If we win the lottery it would help. But at wherever we are you take the BPA now. Especially if its a defenseman.

Agreed on 6.

You also have to think about trading Laine. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes to losing very well, and it looks like the team won't be able to contend over the next few years. Would Laine be interested in that? If we get a damn good C from the Jones deal, maybe you roll the dice and see what happens with them two together. But IDK. I think you maybe look to deal Laine for a defenseman.

I also think you might have to trade Jenner. By the time we're contending he probably won't be here. He'd get a good return from playoff teams and his type of game could fall of a cliff drastically. I get you can't trade everyone in a rebuild, but I would look at dealing Jenner.

I'd probably keep Werenski this year and see what you can do to get him to stay. But if he refuses to talk all next year into the summer, you trade him fairly quickly.
I agree with Krejci but not with Laine. Again his value is very slow now but his potential very huge and, what is important, he's young, only 23. 23 Carl!!! If we would want to trade him so during the season if his value will be minimum better. Besides we needn't TOP 2 defensman but good, mobile 6 d-men.
1C. Show me him. Eichel? Reinhart? Ha, ha, we never get one of them. I doubt Canucks would trade J.T. Miller. San Jose has only two centers so I doubt they would trade Hertl. Granlund and Danault aren't 1C. Btw Dubois isn't 1C but we won in games with Toronto.
We must be careful. Trades aren't PlayStation and bad decisions can return CBJ back and not to Bobrovsky/Panarin time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You act like I’m asking to pick him 7th OA.

If we are trading up in the 5-10 range it should be for Johnson.

I am simply suggesting moving from 25-31 to 19-24 range. It shouldn’t take much.
Probably not, but taking anything at all is still more than I would be comfortable spending on that gamble.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we don’t need to trade up that would be great. But if the picks are after 25th OA we may have to.

I doubt they'd trade up for him. The player that could be there between 10 and 20 that I'd be interested in trading up for is Fedor Svechkov. My other favorite targets are like McTavish and will now go in the top 10, or like Othmann and Rosen who might slip to our late 1sts. There's going to be some good fallers like that. Maybe Jarmo/Siren have Raty in that category.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I doubt they'd trade up for him. The player that could be there between 10 and 20 that I'd be interested in trading up for is Fedor Svechkov. My other favorite targets are like McTavish and will now go in the top 10, or like Othmann and Rosen who might slip to our late 1sts. There's going to be some good fallers like that. Maybe Jarmo/Siren have Raty in that category.
I like the Svechkov kid too, he’s a really good playmaker and seems strong on his skates.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I say stand pat with the late firsts. Maybe a high risk / high reward pick for one and a solid definitely future NHLer with the other. I like Oskar Olausson for a late first. I bet his hockey nickname will be Grouchy.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
  • Told the Blue Jackets and forward Grégory Hofmann are getting close on contract terms, and that the process will likely cross the finish line after Hofmann and Switzerland finish the IIHF World Championships in Riga, Latvia. The Jackets acquired Hofmann for a seventh-round pick from Carolina back in February. It’s expected to be a one-way deal.

• Speaking of Hofmann, he’s tied for the scoring lead at the World Championships with five goals in six games for Switzerland. He’s also fourth in the tournament in points with 5-2-7. How wild are the Worlds this season? Hofmann is tied for the goal-scoring lead with a player from Great Britain: forward Liam Kirk, who was a seventh-round pick (No. 189 overall) by Arizona in 2018 and spent two seasons playing junior for Peterborough of the Ontario Hockey League.

Blue Jackets Monday Gathering: Brad Larsen getting long look, Jackets are overdue in the lottery, and growing interest in Seth Jones

Reactions: LJ7201

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, I'm putting out a request. Somebody, anybody, anyone at all, please come up with a good reason as to why we would at all bother with Sam Reinhart. Because literally everything I can find suggests he can be summed up as "Roslovic, but older, with more hype, and less reason to stay here." And while I like Roz and think he'll be an important part of the team going forward, he's not the defensive stalwart we need at C. So why would we add a second one?

Someone. Anyone. Please explain it to me because so far as I can tell it does not make any sense.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
4. A couple of other notes on Columbus: In their search for centres, I think they’ve talked to Buffalo about Sam Reinhart. The Sabres are looking at goalies;
Joonas Korpisalo or
Elvis Merzlikins would be a sensible target. This theory of mine was received with mixed reactions when mentioned on last week’s podcast. No guarantee it happens because there will be other options for both teams, but they are sensible trade partner
Davidson’s history in New York makes me believe the Blue Jackets will talk to David Quinn about their vacant head coaching position, if they haven’t already. Gerard Gallant, Todd Nelson and Rick Tocchet are among their other interviews. (Tocchet’s also talked to Buffalo, the Rangers and Seattle.)

31 Thoughts: What’s next for Seth Jones, Blue Jackets? - Sportsnet.ca

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Okay, I'm putting out a request. Somebody, anybody, anyone at all, please come up with a good reason as to why we would at all bother with Sam Reinhart. Because literally everything I can find suggests he can be summed up as "Roslovic, but older, with more hype, and less reason to stay here." And while I like Roz and think he'll be an important part of the team going forward, he's not the defensive stalwart we need at C. So why would we add a second one?

Someone. Anyone. Please explain it to me because so far as I can tell it does not make any sense.

- You'd have to assume any deal would involve an extension. We're not adding to our pile of impending UFAs.

- Reinhart doesn't appear to be a bad turnover type player like Roslovic. It's hard to get a good read on his overall defensive contribution, because Buffalo, but there's nothing obvious missing like there is with Roslovic.

- Reinhart looks like a solid #2C to me. Maybe that's also Roslovic soon, but we'd be happy if that came to be. I'd take both. Ideally not for Elvis.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
- You'd have to assume any deal would involve an extension. We're not adding to our pile of impending UFAs.

- Reinhart doesn't appear to be a bad turnover type player like Roslovic. It's hard to get a good read on his overall defensive contribution, because Buffalo, but there's nothing obvious missing like there is with Roslovic.

- Reinhart looks like a solid #2C to me. Maybe that's also Roslovic soon, but we'd be happy if that came to be. I'd take both. Ideally not for Elvis.
His defensive analytics - things like CF% and xG%, both individual and relative to teammates - look virtually identical to Roz's. So while there's no specific eye-test thing I can point to and say "see? See? That's why", I'm not convinced he's overall that much better either.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

After Jones situation it could be real. Although Friedman is better source than Portzline. But if Laine be traded and he would show himself in another team I will buy popcorn and see reactions of "experts" like Porty. :popcorn:

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
To Voronkov. He played already two games on the center. Today with Slepyshev and Grigorenko. Grigo was bad but he injured before so no pretension (although some his decisions were...ehm...enough strange. But we aren`t on the ice) His join with Slepyshev was excelent. And he has more an more ice-time. So maybe we have a very good center. :nod: Btw Bragin moved him to the center on WJC and on this again because he played the most time on the wing in Ak Bars. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad