Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would Toronto trade Mitch Marner signed for 4 more years for 1 year of Seth Jones 99% likely to test UFA after next year? No. Cut print moving on. Jones for futures let’s not fool ourselves.

Jones is very unlikely to actually hit the open market. This deal would involve him signing an extension in Toronto. Do we know if he wants to go there? No idea, but it's a good team, as likely a destination as any other.

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It depends. If all you're doing is swapping Jones for Marner, you've made the team better but probably still not in the top half of the Metro. If you're doing that and signing UFAs like Danault or Hamilton and making a couple other moves to improve the roster, then I think we're back in the hunt.

SALARY CUP - $81,500,000
Marner - $10,903,000
Reinhart - $5,200,000/ so he would want minimum $9,000,000
if Eichel - $10,000,000
Bjorkstrand - $5,400,000
Atkinson - $5,875,000
Roslovic - $1,838,362
only for 5 players TOP 6 - $33,016,362

it`s $48,483,636 FREE

So we need not only TOP 6 like Winnipeg and Tampa showed, bottom 3 too. Plus defensmen. And I would like to know where you take money.

And it isn`t all. After the next season Werenski and Roslovic are RFA and I doubt they would want similar money.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jones - if Jarmo and JD don't know anything what we don't IMHO trade. The problem is after this situation Werenski wouldn't have to want to resign too. Then we have enough many players whom the contract will finish after the next season, Roslovic, Jenner, Domi plus Werenski, of course Jones. Only Roslovic and Werenski are RFA. And other teams can use this situation and offer us few compensation.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
As posted in the poll thread, I’m in the reloading camp but it’s likely with an approach different from many.

The regular season and playoff season are notably different. While high caliber teams like Edmonton and Toronto fly thru the regular season, their stars have gotten bogged down in playoff hockey. Four line teams without the absolute studs such as St Louis (former champs), Vegas (always a threat) and Carolina have proven worthy in the playoffs. Depth in scoring with defensive abilities can succeed in the payoffs and get a team to the Conference finals - maybe beyond.

I think the idea of trying for a superstar or even Eichel level player isn’t realistic and shouldn’t be on our radar. Instead, I’d be for building depth while still adding scoring talent. Reinhardt is an example. While he doesn’t excite any here, he’d have been our first or second leading scorer (Panarin excluded) in each of the last three years. Give me one more unless Nyquist can fully rebound and add a 2C. The concept is building on $4.5-6.5M guys and not throwing a bunch of non-performing youngsters on the 4th line. (Give me a Robby with a competent vet on the 4th line).

While I’m willing to give Laine, Domi and Ros a chance to see how they do under a new coach, I’m concerned that keeping all three makes for a defensive liability so one may need to go. I’m unsure which one it should be though Ros seems like a keeper. And it may be that’s a decision that can wait a year. One might think this all gives us too many forwards. It might, but the “extras” become trade assets.

Defense will need an addition as Jones should be traded now. (I’ll worry about Z next year). But there will be some viable DMen available.

Basically I see this us as a team best equipped to grow a high end talent rather than via FA and we should build accordingly. For those who want a total rebuild/tank, I suppose that’s an option - just one with no appeal to me.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Would Toronto trade Mitch Marner signed for 4 more years for 1 year of Seth Jones 99% likely to test UFA after next year? No. Cut print moving on. Jones for futures let’s not fool ourselves.
You are fooling yourself if you think you already know what the future is

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As posted in the poll thread, I’m in the reloading camp but it’s likely with an approach different from many.

The regular season and playoff season are notably different. While high caliber teams like Edmonton and Toronto fly thru the regular season, their stars have gotten bogged down in playoff hockey. Four line teams without the absolute studs such as St Louis (former champs), Vegas (always a threat) and Carolina have proven worthy in the playoffs. Depth in scoring with defensive abilities can succeed in the payoffs and get a team to the Conference finals - maybe beyond.

I think the idea of trying for a superstar or even Eichel level player isn’t realistic and shouldn’t be on our radar. Instead, I’d be for building depth while still adding scoring talent. Reinhardt is an example. While he doesn’t excite any here, he’d have been our first or second leading scorer (Panarin excluded) in each of the last three years. Give me one more unless Nyquist can fully rebound and add a 2C. The concept is building on $4.5-6.5M guys and not throwing a bunch of non-performing youngsters on the 4th line. (Give me a Robby with a competent vet on the 4th line).

While I’m willing to give Laine, Domi and Ros a chance to see how they do under a new coach, I’m concerned that keeping all three makes for a defensive liability so one may need to go. I’m unsure which one it should be though Ros seems like a keeper. And it may be that’s a decision that can wait a year. One might think this all gives us too many forwards. It might, but the “extras” become trade assets.

Defense will need an addition as Jones should be traded now. (I’ll worry about Z next year). But there will be some viable DMen available.

Basically I see this us as a team best equipped to grow a high end talent rather than via FA and we should build accordingly. For those who want a total rebuild/tank, I suppose that’s an option - just one with no appeal to me.
This, only any mention of the word "tank" has me sharpening my knives and refueling my flamethrowers, because I consider it a literal existential threat to my team's future.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No you can't. Not anymore. They took that away in the 2020 CBA renegotiation.

Yes you can't add a pick contingent on a later extension, not anymore.

But what we're concerned about is finding a sign/trade arrangement where the player agrees with the acquiring club on a deal before the trade is finalized.

Reactions: LJ7201

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
So I’ve had a night to think about it, and I still think that we could be ok.

Step 1 - Trade Seth Jones for a C/D blue chip prospect and a 1st (minimum). *Ideally this is a 2022 NHL pick

Step 2 - Trade whichever goalie gets you the larger return. The return is probably picks or B prospects (or perhaps a low caliber defenseman such as Caleb Jones)

Step 3 - Leave Gustav Nyquist unprotected in the NHL expansion draft

Step 4 - Acquire an overlooked/underrated middle pair defenseman such as Dunn, Mete, etc.

Step 4.5* - Contingent on whether Nyquist is taken by Seattle. If he is taken, sign a UFA such as Danault/Krejci/Granlund

Step 5 - Draft the best defenseman available (unless you can get Beniers) with CBJ 1st. Trade the TOR 1st + a small asset to select Autu Raty in the middle of the first round.

Step 6 - Play out the season, trade Domi and Nyquist (if he’s not selected by Seattle) at the trade deadline.

Robinson - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Laine - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Jenner - Texier - Atkinson
Foudy - Danforth - Hoffman
*move stuff around if they get a UFA

Gavrikov - Werenski
Mete/Jones/Dunn - Peek
MDZ - whoever

prospects
CBJ 2021 1st
Raty
Jones Blue Chipper
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Voronkov
Angle
TFW
Knazko
Berni

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I've been reading some of the tweets from the exit interviews and I would love to have a season where the media didn't ask every player "do you like Columbus? What do you think of it? Please tell us you like us."

good luck with that. It’s a media story that isn’t going away anytime soon.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I've been reading some of the tweets from the exit interviews and I would love to have a season where the media didn't ask every player "do you like Columbus? What do you think of it? Please tell us you like us."

Then the leadership and the players need to call out the media for the dumb question that it is. Flip the question into a “were not here to worry about the city - we have one goal and that’s to win a Stanley Cup and instill a winning mentality into this organization.”

It’s really that easy.

It’s about winning Stanley Cups, not cow-tailing to the media’s shitty narrative.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Step 1 - Trade Seth Jones for a C/D blue chip prospect and a 1st (minimum). *Ideally this is a 2022 NHL pick

Step 2 - Trade whichever goalie gets you the larger return. The return is probably picks or B prospects (or perhaps a low caliber defenseman such as Caleb Jones)

Step 4 - Acquire an overlooked/underrated middle pair defenseman such as Dunn, Mete, etc.

Step 4.5* - Contingent on whether Nyquist is taken by Seattle. If he is taken, sign a UFA such as Danault/Krejci/Granlund

Step 5 - Draft the best defenseman available (unless you can get Beniers) with CBJ 1st. Trade the TOR 1st + a small asset to select Autu Raty in the middle of the first round.

Step 6 - Play out the season, trade Domi and Nyquist (if he’s not selected by Seattle) at the trade deadline.

I like a lot of this and can get behind it.

Agreed with step 1. I would probably skew more to a C since the top of this draft is heavy on D.

Agreed completely with step 2.

Agreed on step 3.

Step 4 is fine. But we have plenty of those type of guys. We could roll with Werenski-Kukan Gavrikov-Peeke Harrington/MDZ-Lehtonen/Carlsson is we wanted to. The goal isn't really to win next year so might as well give everyone a chance. But I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy.

Don't agree with step 4.5. If you're not going to be competing next year, and they won't, you might as well save your money and spend it in the future. Danault and Granlund will try to cash in. And Krejci will probably want a sweet final contract too, and by the time we'll be competing all of these guys will be into their 30s.

Agreed on 5. If we win the lottery it would help. But at wherever we are you take the BPA now. Especially if its a defenseman.

Agreed on 6.

You also have to think about trading Laine. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes to losing very well, and it looks like the team won't be able to contend over the next few years. Would Laine be interested in that? If we get a damn good C from the Jones deal, maybe you roll the dice and see what happens with them two together. But IDK. I think you maybe look to deal Laine for a defenseman.

I also think you might have to trade Jenner. By the time we're contending he probably won't be here. He'd get a good return from playoff teams and his type of game could fall of a cliff drastically. I get you can't trade everyone in a rebuild, but I would look at dealing Jenner.

I'd probably keep Werenski this year and see what you can do to get him to stay. But if he refuses to talk all next year into the summer, you trade him fairly quickly.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trade the TOR 1st + a small asset to select Autu Raty in the middle of the first round.

If you want Raty just wait until the Toronto pick. He'll probably be there.

Not worth trading up for a guy that probably tops out as a 3C.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I like a lot of this and can get behind it.

Agreed with step 1. I would probably skew more to a C since the top of this draft is heavy on D.

Agreed completely with step 2.

Agreed on step 3.

Step 4 is fine. But we have plenty of those type of guys. We could roll with Werenski-Kukan Gavrikov-Peeke Harrington/MDZ-Lehtonen/Carlsson is we wanted to. The goal isn't really to win next year so might as well give everyone a chance. But I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a guy.

Don't agree with step 4.5. If you're not going to be competing next year, and they won't, you might as well save your money and spend it in the future. Danault and Granlund will try to cash in. And Krejci will probably want a sweet final contract too, and by the time we'll be competing all of these guys will be into their 30s.

Agreed on 5. If we win the lottery it would help. But at wherever we are you take the BPA now. Especially if its a defenseman.

Agreed on 6.

You also have to think about trading Laine. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes to losing very well, and it looks like the team won't be able to contend over the next few years. Would Laine be interested in that? If we get a damn good C from the Jones deal, maybe you roll the dice and see what happens with them two together. But IDK. I think you maybe look to deal Laine for a defenseman.

I also think you might have to trade Jenner. By the time we're contending he probably won't be here. He'd get a good return from playoff teams and his type of game could fall of a cliff drastically. I get you can't trade everyone in a rebuild, but I would look at dealing Jenner.

I'd probably keep Werenski this year and see what you can do to get him to stay. But if he refuses to talk all next year into the summer, you trade him fairly quickly.
My sole quibble with this (and with the original suggestion) is item #2. Merzlikins is an expansion-exempt starter, which is pretty valuable, and yet I don't think the market return is going to be sufficiently improved enough to reflect said value. Therefore, if we trade a goaltender, I think it has to be Korpi.

So I'm kind of leaning towards trading Korpi prior to the expansion draft, protecting Kivlenieks, and exposing Cam Johnson. (Yes, he meets the requirements.)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
My sole quibble with this (and with the original suggestion) is item #2. Merzlikins is an expansion-exempt starter, which is pretty valuable, and yet I don't think the market return is going to be sufficiently improved enough to reflect said value. Therefore, if we trade a goaltender, I think it has to be Korpi.

So I'm kind of leaning towards trading Korpi prior to the expansion draft, protecting Kivlenieks, and exposing Cam Johnson. (Yes, he meets the requirements.)

I'm fine with this. But I'm not sure how Elvis will handle losing either. He seemed pretty miserable this year, but the whole team seemed that way. IDK. I'm not opposed to just hanging onto Elvis and trading Korpi for whatever, but If Elvis can get you something good I think it has to be considered.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm fine with this. But I'm not sure how Elvis will handle losing either. He seemed pretty miserable this year, but the whole team seemed that way. IDK. I'm not opposed to just hanging onto Elvis and trading Korpi for whatever, but If Elvis can get you something good I think it has to be considered.
I think any attempt to play the "who's going to want out next" game is futile at best and actively self-destructive at worst.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Robinson - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Laine - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Jenner - Texier - Atkinson
Foudy - Danforth - Hoffman
*move stuff around if they get a UFA

Gavrikov - Werenski
Mete/Jones/Dunn - Peek
MDZ - whoever

prospects
CBJ 2021 1st
Raty
Jones Blue Chipper
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Voronkov
Angle
TFW
Knazko
Berni
You read my minds especially Laine--Roslovic--Bemstrom line. :nod: But I`m afraind Laine and Roslovic aren`t guru of defense so we probably would take to them a good wing with defense.

xxx1 /xx/--Domi /26/--Bjorkstrand /26/
Laine /23/--Stastny /36/--Bemstrom /22/
Texier /22/--Roslovic /24/--Atkinson /32/
Robinson /26/--Jenner /28/--Foudy /21/

Werenski /24/, xxx2 /xx/
Gavrikov /26/, Lehtonen /27/
MDZ /31/, Carlsson/24//Peeke/23//xxx3 /xx/

xxx1
- a very good defense wing but again we can move Domi on the wing too and take a center
Stastny - excelent chemistry with Laine, and again he`s only one year older than Krejci, plus Bemmer could grow up to a good play driver
xxx2 - excelent defensman
xxx3 - we would see

If we can`t afford TOP 2 lines or although TOP center (be honest) we could have three very good young, offensive lines and one excelent grinder line. Plus don`t forget Chinakhov IMHO he could play in the roster. Danforth and Hofmann...
We need one very good defensman and a goalie. If Elvis/Korpi wiil be fine, great. If not... .

P.S. I would like Puljujarvi here but it`s only a dream. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad