Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel, c.'23 3rd for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, c.'22 1st (Top10 protected), c.'23 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No doubt Buff was never going to win an Eichel trade. But lets get real. Eichel will at some point be back on the ice and will find some, or all, of his form. This was a runaway steal of a deal for VGK. No other way to say it. People will try and break this down and shed light on how Buff came out well but that's just smoke and mirrors. Buff lost their Franchise player for peanuts in comparison. This was a terrible return for BUFF.

Actually, let's get real, for real, and consider that there's no guarantee Jack Eichel will ever again be the same player and will ever live up to his billing. That's just a reality. It wouldn't be the first, it wouldn't be the last time that a promising career is derailed early by injuries.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
lmao poor Buffalo (and Krebs and Tuch).

I know it was a messy and complicated situation, but I cannot believe the Sabres thought that was an adequate return after this whole gong show. They would have been better off just letting Eichel do whatever and return in whatever state he can.

The fact that the pick is top-10 protected is beyond absurd. An unprotected 1st would HAVE to be a non-starter, especially considering the start VGK has had.

I would be absolutely livid if I were a Sabres fan, after getting dragged through shit all summer and fall and THIS is the big reveal?? YIKES

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
And that very likely may happen. But right now you have to take into account Eichel is not healthy and there is a greater than 0% chance he never plays effective hockey again.

Total BS. You're assumptions are way off base.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Exactly how does Vegas navigate this cap situation?

I’ve been trying to wrap my brain around it and I have no clue. Vegas was likely already going to have to move salary out when Tuch came back, now even more so. You have to suspect that one of Eichel/Stone are expected to be out until the post season

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Total BS. You're assumptions are way off base.
I dont think you can read or chose not to. I said its very likely Eichel comes back 100%. It is also true that there is a greater than 0% chance he never comes back like there is with any neck surgery. Try to keep up

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Actually, let's get real, for real, and consider that there's no guarantee Jack Eichel will ever again be the same player and will ever live up to his billing. That's just a reality. It wouldn't be the first, it wouldn't be the last time that a promising career is derailed early by injuries.

A lot of people like yourself will be spouting off this type of rhetoric for the next few weeks. The word fleeced doesn't get used as often these days because there is just too much info available so it doesn't happen as much. This is as close to "fleeced" as we've seen in recent memory.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Kind of crazy to think that off of that expansion draft that so many thought was terrible at the time Vegas moved things around to acquire Pacioretty, Stone, Pietrangelo, and Eichel.

That's not really a brag since Vegas' aggressive strategy could likely bite them if they don't win the cup in 4-5 years. Maybe even sooner. But it's still crazy to think about.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
VGK reminds me of the Rangers back in the day. Just throwing all kinds of money at players that never worked as a team.
To me, Vegas just keeps filling holes. Added Stone who is a first line Selke type of player. Then added Pietrangelo who is a Norris type of player but they were always missing that true 1C. Now Eichel a Hart type of player completes the picture. Well done Vegas. Will they have to juggle the cap next off season. Yes. So did Tampa and they won back to back Cups. Will the salary cap start to go up?? Yes. This a 5 year window.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Both teams won here. Vegas gets Eichel a guy who now gets his preferred surgery and gets to join a top tier contender. His friend Lehner is the starter. His linemates will likely be Patches and Stone. You have to think Eichel is gonna be very excited and motivated to come back now.

Buffalo gets the blue chip prospect they wanted, 2 more picks and Tuch, a local guy who wants to be there. He was a Sabres fan growing up. It’s a while new start for Buffalo here and this time these young kids have a great coach.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
One thing that's almost certainly going to be neglected when evaluating this trade is the additional 5+ million in cap space it creates in Buffalo...

Yes, the Sabres already have loads of it, but cap space is an asset and now the Sabres have more of it

It's on them now to use that cap space to their advantage

For example, that additional 5+ million could be used to take on Lucic's contract... maybe Calgary would be willing to include a prospect like Pelletier in order to make it happen

If you factor Pelletier among the assets Eichel returned, the deal looks much more favourable for the Sabres

Reactions: dire wolf

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
Vegas wont exceed the cap ceiling. If Eichel comes back only the days his in on the active roster (23 person roster) counts against the cap based on his daily cap hit X number of days left in the regular season.

No that's not how it works though. His cap is $10 Million vs an $81.5 M cap. There's no accruals or pro-ration.

All you're saying is his cap hit could be say $5M in 1/2 a season vs a cap then of 40.75 M over 40 games.

It's not $5M in 1/2 a season vs $81.5M there's not accruing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vegas took one roster player off of their roster from last few seasons. I like Tuch but he a dime a dozen winger. They get their players healthy. The Vegas pick will a mid to late 20's pick in the first round. Vegas is a now team. Edmonton is the only sure thing in their division.

Kevyn Adams waited over one calendar year to trade Eichel. This is what he acquired. Failure.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
A lot of people like yourself will be spouting off this type of rhetoric for the next few weeks. The word fleeced doesn't get used as often these days because there is just too much info available so it doesn't happen as much. This is as close to "fleeced" as we've seen in recent memory.

I'm not sure what that even means. That you have a crystal ball capable of predicting the future with 100% certainty? What's the lottery numbers next week?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that this is OK for both sides? Sabres get a top 6 wing with speed and size who has a reasonable contract, and a nice young Middle six C propsect that might play for them for the next 10 years. With all their injuries, VGK might have a pick in the mid late teens, which should net them a decent prospect. On top of that, Sabres net 5M in cap space. Don't think they'll use it right away, but next year that will give them the flexibility to sign a FA or two should they wish.

VGK is gambling on Eichel, which is fitting considering where they play. I think they will have to get creative getting cap space to fit in Eichel.
If the surgery does well, it's a steal. My internet opinion is that this will be a huge success for Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad