Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel, c.'23 3rd for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, c.'22 1st (Top10 protected), c.'23 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
when you don't know the timeline of a surgery never done before to a hockey player, it's a substantial risk IMO
That doesnt mean that the risk is large. There will be a recovery, and that timeline is likely accurate. But, theres no reason to stick a number on it yet

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
Probably as good as they could get for an injured player. Not many teams have the cap space or willing to give up a ton of prospects/picks

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the rumor a few months back is that they were asking for both drysdale and zegras from the ducks

pretty underwhelming return considering what they were asking for before

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That doesnt mean that the risk is large. There will be a recovery, and that timeline is likely accurate. But, theres no reason to stick a number on it yet

Personally, I don't think the recovery time is the risky part. The part is after he recovers and starts getting hit with the artificial disk replacement and the unproven historical data on how it can sustain physical contact. We won't know any of this for a few years yet after Eichel plays a season or two and this becomes in the past. It could be a steal for the Knights or they look like idiots if Eichel has problems down the road.

An interesting risk for the Knights to take but I can see why they did it. They are missing that 1C piece. And now they got to survive in the flat cap until the NHLPA balance is paid off to the owners and the cap grows again. Might take 2-3 more years.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see any winner in this. Buffalo’s GM and Owner should be forced out for how they handled this.

Buffalo: New GM boxed himself into a corner, partiality due to his medical team, and gets some futures and a second line winger. They were initially asking for each team’s best young asset and suggesting that certain teams didn’t have the pieces to make it work, and then they end up taking a deal from a team with very few futures. They spited their own rebuild to not look weak and to send him out west. They almost certainly had better offers months ago.

Vegas: They gave up nothing, but good luck making the cap work the next few seasons.

Eichel: He doesn’t go to one of the two reported destinations he wanted to go to, his 2021-22 season is ruined, and he may not get to play in the Olympics.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
If Vegas drops to top 10, what does the 2022 1st become?

I'm like 95% sure Vegas is going to pull a Tampa here and just keep him sidelined until the playoffs.

Are they a playoff lock? Their underlying numbers are terrible, they look bad live too. Pacioretty out for 1-2 more months, no cap space to do anything.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I doubt Adams had many options here so imo a decent return for an injured player who doesn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. The Sabres add an NHL player, a prospect and lottery tickets, which is more than they had yesterday.

Completely different conclusion if we're talking about a healthy Eichel and it's a pure hockey trade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why are people stunned a player getting an experimental back surgery making 10m didn't get his full value if healthy? If Eichel stays healthy Vegas wins deal. If he can't stay healthy, Vegas franchise is wrecked for 5 years giving up youth, money/cap and picks.
I agree to an extent, this could turn into a win win for both teams. With the cap so tight now, teams that are top heavy and bottom light are not always in the best position. Buffalo can turn Eichel's salary into 2 very good players at 5M a per. Tuch is a good solid heavy player that is hard to play against. If Krebs can develop into a top 6 player, I think he is going to be atleast a top 9. With the added first rd pick if Buffalo picks a solid player, the deal is not looking so bad for them a year or 2 down the line. The bottom line is team improvement, not winning the trade on who has the better scoring stats. This to me determines who wins in a deal. A GM does not have to win every deal in a vacuum to win in the long run if the team is better after a series of deals or moves which cap flexibility allows.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the rumor a few months back is that they were asking for both drysdale and zegras from the ducks

No doubt about it.... the asking price was high for a player who has disk problems and wants artificial replacement where the impacts of physical contact is undetermined. Most of us felt the actual return would never be what both the Sabres fans and management were trying to get. The return is solid but nowhere near the asking price.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That doesn't negate what I said. Vegas is much more likely to get a top-10 pick than them having the 32nd pick (there's 32 teams now BTW since you were implying you fear them winning the SC).
What makes them more likely to be bottom 10? They were a top contender already and just got Jack Eichel… (assuming he plays this season)

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
With current injuries the GK forwards group look AHL++ level.

I guess this is the move to acknowledge that yep, this season is over.

I thought that was the year where the pacific was to emerge out of the basement to be better than the Central and the Atlantic.

Vegas is quiting on me :)

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

I never understand these arguments. Just because that's what the Sabres asked, why does that mean they were ever even close to agreeing to such a deal. Ask away of course, but you weren't getting Zegras and Drysdale for Eichel in this environment.

Reactions: kanucks25

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I don’t see any winner in this. Buffalo’s GM and Owner should be forced out for how they handled this.

Buffalo: New GM boxed himself into a corner, partiality due to his medical team, and gets some futures and a second line winger. They were initially asking for each team’s best young asset and suggesting that certain teams didn’t have the pieces to make it work, and then they end up taking a deal from a team with very few futures. They spited their own rebuild to not look weak and to send him out west. They almost certainly had better offers months ago.

Vegas: They gave up nothing, but good luck making the cap work the next few seasons.

Eichel: He doesn’t go to one of the two reported destinations he wanted to go to, his 2021-22 season is ruined, and he may not get to play in the Olympics.
Tell me you are a salty rangers fan without saying you are a salty rangers fan

Reactions: CupInSIX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad