Proposal: Brodin to Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
About as much as they watch Weber apparently.

Like, I don't think Brodin is a fit for Montreal, but that assessment is off-base for both Brodin (who is more than just a defensive D-man) and Weber (who isn't a flawed puck mover so much as it isn't a strength).

I guess if you have pretty low expectations for how well a defenseman should move a puck. Weber attempts and succeeds at zone exits at an average rate at best. The burden of handling the puck in the defensive zone has usually been left to his partner over the years. Compared to the high end defensemen with whom many fans and pundits class him, and considering the importance of transition play in defensemen, it certainly is a flaw. His ideal partner is a better puck mover than Brodin.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As an Isles fan I'd offer a signed Nelson, Pelech and a 1st. Brodin is a solid, consistent Top 4, you aren't getting him cheap for a really nice, but unproven prospect and a fringe NHL defender.

A future D pairing group of Leddy, Brodin and Toews on the LD and Dobson, Pulock and Wilde on the RD makes my mouth water.

I would take Suzuki and Schlemko over your package 11 times out of 10

Reactions: Cobra Commander

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I guess if you have pretty low expectations for how well a defenseman should move a puck. Weber attempts and succeeds at zone exits at an average rate at best. The burden of handling the puck in the defensive zone has usually been left to his partner over the years. Compared to the high end defensemen with whom many fans and pundits class him, and considering the importance of transition play in defensemen, it certainly is a flaw. His ideal partner is a better puck mover than Brodin.

Want Thomas Hickey for a 3rd? He certainly can move the puck and having Weber as his partner covers his biggest deficiency, losing battles in the corners.

Given what you want I'm surprised your GM wasn't all over DeHaan over the summer. He might have been the perfect pairing for Weber.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Not sure where you're getting your data from. Whether its publicly available date (like the passing project) or private stuff like Sportlogiq, Weber grades out as a better than average puck mover on D.

Weber's best when paired with a puck mover that can skate because puck moving and skating are the two weakest areas of his game and because he tends to be more passive in the offensive zone. That doesn't mean that he's a bad passer though, just that its not what he's best at.

Brodin's not a fit, but I disagree with your assessments of both players.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I would take Suzuki and Schlemko over your package 11 times out of 10

And who do you root for? Certainly not Minnesota . . . Schlemko has NEVER played a full season in the NHL and is 31 years old! He's worth a 7th at the trade deadline for a team needing an 8th defenseman. Pelech, in his FIRST full season last year, matched Schlemko's career high in points and was a +7 for the worst goals against team in recent memory.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And who do you root for? Certainly not Minnesota . . . Schlemko has NEVER played a full season in the NHL and is 31 years old! He's worth a 7th at the trade deadline for a team needing an 8th defenseman. Pelech, in his FIRST full season last year, matched Schlemko's career high in points and was a +7 for the worst goals against team in recent memory.

Yeah I don't care about the defense, that's why I'm okay with trading Brodin for a prospect. Schlemko is literally just so we have a human being playing third pair LD for the remainder of this season. Pelech does nothing to interest me.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Don't want to get too off topic but the two picks and situations aren't close to the same.
Brodin was mostly unknown but considered a good pick and most scouts/analyst/rankings had him at that spot.
Johansson was a complete nobody and considered a massive reach by just about everybody.
I did like johannsom as a player but was hoping to take him in the 3rd round as many scouts still thought he’d be available.

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
You’re not getting Suzuki alone for Brodin and someone mentioned plus 1rd pick
We will give you Jeff Petry for your best centre prospect and 1rd pick...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You’re not getting Suzuki alone for Brodin and someone mentioned plus 1rd pick
We will give you Jeff Petry for your best centre prospect and 1rd pick...
When I look at the Wild's depth chart and prospect pool, the first thing that jumps out is how much they need RD. The second is how flush they are with centers and center prospects.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor and AKL

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
When I look at the Wild's depth chart and prospect pool, the first thing that jumps out is how much they need RD. The second is how flush they are with centers and center prospects.
That’s to bad... Mini is selling Brodin like he’s num 1 d and guy never had more then 25p.. Ridiculous!! We can offer Suzuki and Tatar for Minis winger that avg 35 g in last 5-6 years...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That’s to bad... Mini is selling Brodi like he’s num 1 d and guy never had more then 25p.. Ridiculous!! We can offer Suzuki and Tatar for Minis winger that avg 35 g in last 5-6 years...
This thread was started because Habs fans in the Coyle thread had mentioned Brodin being a good fit. No one's "selling" him.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would do a deal of brodin around Suzuki, although I would prefer to trade spurgeon.

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
This thread was started because Habs fans in the Coyle thread had mentioned Brodin being a good fit. No one's "selling" him.
I get it man.. I understand your point but you have 2-3 guys “ asking” for Suzuki and 1st like we are talking about #1 d...

Brando

May 21, 2017
Right, because prospects are worth more than NHL regulars!:huh:

Just because a player hasn't played a game in the NHL doesn't mean they're low value assets.

Is Kyle Brodziak worth more than Suzuki because he's an NHL regular?

I mean Montreal essentially traded Pacioretty, a perennial 30-goal scorer for a player with no NHL games and a cap dump. I think it's safe to say Nick Suzuki is a valuable asset.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just because a player hasn't played a game in the NHL doesn't mean they're low value assets.

Is Kyle Brodziak worth more than Suzuki because he's an NHL regular?

I mean Montreal essentially traded Pacioretty, a perennial 30-goal scorer for a player with no NHL games and a cap dump. I think it's safe to say Nick Suzuki is a valuable asset.
I have no skin in the game - Tatar got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in a trade 20 games and a summer before the Habs traded for him, I don't think "cap dump" is a fair assessment of that player if the NHL GM market is willing to give that kind of return for him with the contract attached, and there was a 2nd round pick attached

I agree with the sentiment that not every NHL'er is worth more than every prospect, but an NHL'er who is as good as the prospect could realistically become is usually worth a lot more than the prospect on his own

Brando

May 21, 2017
I have no skin in the game - Tatar got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in a trade 20 games and a summer before the Habs traded for him, I don't think "cap dump" is a fair assessment of that player if the NHL GM market is willing to give that kind of return for him with the contract attached, and there was a 2nd round pick attached

I agree with the sentiment that not every NHL'er is worth more than every prospect, but an NHL'er who is as good as the prospect could realistically become is usually worth a lot more than the prospect on his own

I invite you to take a look at the public and professional opinion of the Pacioretty trade at the time.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I invite you to take a look at the public and professional opinion of the Pacioretty trade at the time.
The public opinion obviously didn't matter much, he got a lot in trade, and much more than Suzuki straight up. Pro scouting departments aren't as temperamental as public opinion

Brando

May 21, 2017
The public opinion obviously didn't matter much, he got a lot in trade, and much more than Suzuki straight up. Pro scouting departments aren't as temperamental as public opinion

My point was that Tatar's value had tanked from his time and Vegas and they were looking to move his contract. His value at the time of the trade was not of a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
My point was that Tatar's value had tanked from his time and Vegas and they were looking to move his contract. His value at the time of the trade was not of a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.
Tatar's value didn't have time to tank in Vegas, 20 games is a slump not a trend that anyone will put any serious stock into for a 27yo player. If there was a difference in value at the time of the second trade, it was a minor difference, so there really isn't a case to be made that Pacioretty was traded for Suzuki on his own

Brando

May 21, 2017
Tatar's value didn't have time to tank in Vegas, 20 games is a slump not a trend that anyone will put any serious stock into for a 27yo player. If there was a difference in value at the time of the second trade, it was a minor difference, so there really isn't a case to be made that Pacioretty was traded for Suzuki on his own

You say that, but it's just not true. Although Tatar's value should not have dropped as much as it did, that's how the NHL works. Again, go listen to the Bobcast or dig up some old tweets about the trade. George Macphee wanted to get out from under the Tatar contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad