Proposal: Brodin to Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You say that, but it's just not true. Although Tatar's value should not have dropped as much as it did, that's how the NHL works. Again, go listen to the Bobcast or dig up some old tweets about the trade. George Macphee wanted to get out from under the Tatar contract.
ha, McPhee would have to be absolutely inept to have his opinion change from what he gave up to get Tatar (which, granted, was probably more than other teams thought he was worth) to "I'm willing to pay to get rid of him". Tatar's value was absolutely still very positive at the time of the second trade, unless you think that McPhee is very unworthy of his job I guess

Brando

May 21, 2017
ha, McPhee would have to be absolutely inept to have his opinion change from what he gave up to get Tatar (which, granted, was probably more than other teams thought he was worth) to "I'm willing to pay to get rid of him". Tatar's value was absolutely still very positive at the time of the second trade, unless you think that McPhee is very unworthy of his job I guess

Sunk Cost Dilemma

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
for that to apply there would have to be something for Vegas to lose by holding. They've got tons of cap space coming off the best season for an expansion team of all time, 3 more years at 4.8 for a guy they were hoping to be a 2nd liner playing as a 3rd liner wouldn't constitute that kind of exposure. Tatar was a good asset at the time of the second trade, Pacioretty just happened to be a better one

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
for that to apply there would have to be something for Vegas to lose by holding. They've got tons of cap space coming off the best season for an expansion team of all time, 3 more years at 4.8 for a guy they were hoping to be a 2nd liner playing as a 3rd liner wouldn't constitute that kind of exposure. Tatar was a good asset at the time of the second trade, Pacioretty just happened to be a better one
This is a Brodin to Habs thread BTW

But please keep clogging it up with your endless rants about the Habs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Khovanov has some weaknesses in his two-way game, partially based on strength which is certainly something that can be improved, but his effort in playing defense has also been noted to be lacking at times. He's a really offensively focused player, which is fine, but it might not be the best in translating to center at the NHL level.
Suzuki is already really strong on his skates and with the puck, and is known to show a consistently strong work ethic. Suzuki is also a faster and better skater at this point.

I'm not saying Khovanov won't make it or can't make it, I'm just saying at this point, Suzuki is a safer bet to be a top 6 center, Khovanov can boom or bust. I really like Khovanov, I think we got a gem with him, I just think he's more suited for wing at the NHL level, just like Granlund was.

Khovanov might've been weak after recovering from Hepatitis, but I thought he was pretty solid, and Suzuki was the less physical player? Khovanov outweighs him by 20 lbs.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Khovanov might've been weak after recovering from Hepatitis, but I thought he was pretty solid, and Suzuki was the less physical player? Khovanov outweighs him by 20 lbs.

Suzuki isn’t physical but he’s really sturdy. Again that’s not a huge deal, Khovanov can pretty easily bulk up and improve that aspect of his game.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suzuki isn’t physical but he’s really sturdy. Again that’s not a huge deal, Khovanov can pretty easily bulk up and improve that aspect of his game.
Khovanov is 200 lbs. Suzuki 180. At least on the site i was looking.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Suzuki was the main piece coming back in the Pacioretty deal. But that’s just in the REAL world. You can keep twisting things up to try and devalue Suzuki, but nobody here is buying what you’re selling. The fact remains that Suzuki and Brook are superior prospects and have a higher value then the leafs prospects. That could change but right now it’s just the way it is.

No sense in devaluing the Habs prospects just because they are better and worth more.
You have Matthews, Tavares, Marner, etc, stop being so greedy.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tatar, Mete, and one of (3rd, Ikonen, Lindgren)
for
Brodin and Coyle

What are the Wild looking for if they trade either Coyle and Brodin? Futures only?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Tatar, Mete, and one of (3rd, Ikonen, Lindgren)
for
Brodin and Coyle

What are the Wild looking for if they trade either Coyle and Brodin? Futures only?
I don’t know if I’d accept that for just Brodin. That’s a whole lot of stuff that Minnesota doesn’t have a need for. Remember, needs are centers and right wingers. Not left wingers and defense.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Suzuki was the main piece coming back in the Pacioretty deal. But that’s just in the REAL world. You can keep twisting things up to try and devalue Suzuki, but nobody here is buying what you’re selling. The fact remains that Suzuki and Brook are superior prospects and have a higher value then the leafs prospects. That could change but right now it’s just the way it is.

No sense in devaluing the Habs prospects just because they are better and worth more.
You have Matthews, Tavares, Marner, etc, stop being so greedy.
right, "main piece", not "only piece" as was the position of the guy I was talking to
Oh you haven’t heard? We’re not rebuilding, just a quick re-tool. Ya we can add Brook to Suzuki when talking about better quality prospects then the Leafs as well.
It's honestly great that you think your team is ready to compete, I hope Bergevin thinks the same so you guys can get stuck in eternal mediocrity like the Leafs were forever. Playoff bubble finishes, trading future for now and mid round picks are just what the doctor ordered for the Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t know if I’d accept that for just Brodin. That’s a whole lot of stuff that Minnesota doesn’t have a need for. Remember, needs are centers and right wingers. Not left wingers and defense.

Never mind then. Brodin is not worth Tatar, Mete, and another grade B piece alone. Were talking about a 20-30 pts top 4D man here. He's solid value but not that much.

- A center? What kind of center you looking for? You think you will get a top 2C potential for Brodin? I don't think so.
- A RW? This is possible. Habs have Ylonen but based on your over evaluation on Brodin alone, I pass. Thinking you can get Suzuki who is developing very well in his draft +1 and +2 years is not going to happen.

Honestly, do you think Brodin will bring in a larger haul than Patch on a sign and trade value? Brodin is a decent top 4D that does the little things well but his highest point season is like 25 pts and he's been consistently 20-25 pts in the last 3 seasons.. including this season where he is on pace for 22.

If Brodin was a RFA controlled asset, that changes things a bit. But he is UFA in 3 years including this year. If you want full value from Brodin, he needs to be producing 30-40 pts, not 20-25. Same size at this stage shows he is consistently in the 20-25 range.

The other thing to note is if you trade Brodin, what's the current and future depth at LD? Tell me why Mete is not a good fit?

I respect trying to get as much as you can. But you not getting that from the Habs. Not for a 20-25 top 4D who is UFA in 3 years.

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If that was all it took to get Brodin 30 other teams would be interested.
Are you kidding me? Nick Suzuki is a surefire top 6 prospect and Brodin hasn't even hit 30 points yet. If it creates too big a hole for your club, that's 1 thing, but my ass that offering Nick Suzuki is considered lowballing for Brodin on a pure value level.

Last edited:

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Never mind then. Brodin is not worth Tatar, Mete, and another grade B piece alone. Were talking about a 20-30 pts top 4D man here. He's solid value but not that much.

- A center? What kind of center you looking for? You think you will get a top 2C potential for Brodin? I don't think so.
- A RW? This is possible. Habs have Ylonen but based on your over evaluation on Brodin alone, I pass.

Honestly, do you think Brodin will bring in a larger haul than Patch on a sign and trade value? Brodin is a decent top 4D that does the little things well but his highest point season is like 25 pts and he's been consistently 20-25 pts in the last 3 seasons.. including this season where he is on pace for 22.

If Brodin was a RFA controlled asset, that changes things a bit. But he is UFA in 3 years including this year. If you want full value form Brodin, he needs to be producing 30-40 pts, not 20-25.

The other thing to note is if you trade Brodin, what's the current and future depth at LD? Tell me why Mete is not a good fit?
You could be right, but you'd have an easier time to convince Minnesota if they were actually offered something they need, hence a center and a right wing.

Tatar and Mete do nothing for them. They've got D and LW covered.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
If minnesota was going into a rebuild, I'd try to get Coyle and Brodin... 1st (lottery protected) + suzuki + ylonen + cap dump or something like that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You could be right, but you'd have an easier time to convince Minnesota if they were actually offered something they need, hence a center and a right wing.

Tatar and Mete do nothing for them. They've got D and LW covered.

Fair. I have Three questions then

1) If Brodin is traded, what's the current and future depth at LD in the wild organization? Not sure I agree Mete don't fit their needs once Brodin is traded. Someone needs to explain their future LD outlook

2) A Center? What kind of center? Prospect or current NHL player? Think about Patch's return in a sign and trade value. Brodin does not have as much value as Patch and is UFA in 3 years. Vegas got Patch for 5 years. Were talking about a top 4D man with 20-25 pts in production. Yes I get he does more than put up points but thinking he will get a massive haul is not something I believe. A potential top 2 center? Come on man

3) RW. Tatar can play both wings. How does this not fit? Is it because they are after futures? Like Suzuki? I seriously doubt a team trades a grade A prospect who is trending very well for Brodin.

Reactions: Brando

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Are you kidding me? Ryan Suzuki is a surefire top 6 prospect and Brodin hasn't even hit 30 points yet. If it creates too big a hole for your club, that's 1 thing, but my ass that offering Ryan Suzuki is considered lowballing for Brodin on a pure value level.
couple things:
- the value of a defenseman shouldn't be measured in points, especially one of Brodin's style
- Brodin is worth a top 6 forward without the risk of a prospect, so if you're trying to get him with a prospect of Suzuki's caliber you'd have to add (I'm not a Wild fan)
- not knowing your own prospect's name doesn't bode well for anyone to think you know what he's worth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad