Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I watched the tigers get blown out last night. It was actually a close game until the third when Providence ran away with it.

A few observations below. Take them with a grain of salt since I don't watch Bridgeport very often.

- Ness -- Amazing how good he looks in the A. Clearly the best player on the ice last night. He may never be an NHL regular, but against slightly slower competition he's a great puck moving defenseman.

- Reinhart -- Positionally sound, good stick work, kinda slow, VERY simple passes. He uses his body well, but there's absolutely no bite to his game. Never seems to throw a hard check, he just separates the guy from the puck. Very polite.

- Conacher -- Same Conacher we saw in the N. Fast, plays hard, not much hockey sense.

- Zolnierczyk -- A grinder in the N, a 1st liner in the A. Fast, somewhat physical, good tools. Probably the best forward last night.

- Poulin -- Made a few great saves last night, then let in probably 2-3 soft goals in the third. He seems to really struggle on transition shots (shots immediately after a pass).

Overall they looked decent but they could really use McDonald and Pulock back.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
What's the story with Gallant, btw? Can that dude play hockey or can he just fight? Besides last year (when we were down to our 20th forward), is he a candidate for a 4th line energy guy (ala Halmo) at some point? Does he hit a lot too or just drop the gloves?

I'll give you my impression from watching him last night. He's too slow to ever make it in the NHL. Dude can fight, but he's almost too slow to check. By the time he got to guys to check them they would slip away easily. Doesn't seem like he has any other tools either. Not much of a shot or playmaking ability. Sorry to say that but that's how it looked last night.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
It is huge that Pulock is coming back. He was shut down for a while because they thought he tore up his shoulder.

He and Mayfield look much further upon there development as d man compared to the rest.

Before the injury Pulock was playing great hockey.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
still liked the Pelech pick, and have hopes for him. we could sure use a defenceman with his style right now. i understand that he is still a bit raw, but would those that have watched BP from the start of the year, say that he has improved markedly? not sure in what capacity he is being use, but his +/- is one of the better one's on the team.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
still liked the Pelech pick, and have hopes for him. we could sure use a defenceman with his style right now. i understand that he is still a bit raw, but would those that have watched BP from the start of the year, say that he has improved markedly? not sure in what capacity he is being use, but his +/- is one of the better one's on the team.

The "scout" for EA Sports bumped his rating up to a 72 if that means anything? :sarcasm:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I was at the BST game yesterday afternoon. It was the first loss I have seen this season and BY FAR the worst I have seen the team play. I understand it was their third game in three days but wow, it was a terrible overall team performance as they were beat physically by a relatively small (albeit veteran) Bears team.

In terms of prospects, Graham was probably the worst of the defense corps. He had a couple bonehead turnovers early (putting the puck across center ice as opposed to using the boards or making a smart outlet pass) and, while he was skating fairly hard, he was over matched and dominated physically. He missed a hit, when I believe when it was 3-1 and BST had just scored a couple minutes earlier to cut the bears lead and give BST a chance, then he failed to get back on defense and get into position and buried his team as the Bears went up 4-1 in the third. Terrible play all around for Graham. I assume for a small player like him, three games in three nights is exhausting and part of the reason he played so poorly. He will need to get bigger and stronger if he wants to make it in the NHL.

Reinhart and Pelech were unimpressive and did not necessarily stand out for good or bad. They were just logging minutes. Pelech tried to jump up in the offensive zone a couple times but didn't do much. Reinhart took some shots on net but he is no Pulock in that respect.

Mayfield looked the best to me once again. He seems to work hard every shift. Even with his team down 5-1 and with no time left on the clock, he was hitting and blocking shots, laying out and using his body. I really like Mayfield. He should not be rushed but he should be an NHL defender at some point. Probably a physical and cheap third pairing-type next season or the season after.

The absence of Pulock is glaring now and I am not sure why Church is not playing on defense (as I understand it they are shifting him back and forth between defense and forward as the seventh defenseman). This looks like a completely different team from the first couple months of the season when Pulock and Church were logging big minutes. Ness, Graham and Lashoff are not playing well in the games I have seen. I like Church and thought he was a stabilizing influence earlier in the season. Maybe I am wrong but he has to be a better option than Lashoff, Ness or Graham.

As for the forwards, there wasn't much there in the way of inspired play or prospects/potential worth talking about. I was hoping to see more growth from Persson or Sundstrom from earlier in the season but left disappointed. Persson tried to be physical at times but was beaten by smaller players a couple times. In the coming draft, the Isles should look to draft or sign a couple over-agers late to add some better depth and physical play in the AHL at forward.

Alternatively, it would also be great if the Isles could convince Ullstrom, Rakhshani, etc. to return to the AHL and help with development. Although I assume they will make more money in the KHL/SHL versus playing in the AHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I was at the BST game yesterday afternoon. It was the first loss I have seen this season and BY FAR the worst I have seen the team play. I understand it was their third game in three days but wow, it was a terrible overall team performance as they were beat physically by a relatively small (albeit veteran) Bears team.

Take away the first 15 games of this season and the Tigers have basically been the worst team in the AHL. I find it disappointing and actually a bit alarming, because I felt that going into the season, there were a number of tools there - including a great AHL coach - to have this be a sure-fire playoff team.

In terms of prospects, Graham was probably the worst of the defense corps.

I really wonder if Garth signed him so as to avoid missing out on another late rounder that could be another Spurgeon?

Considering all the Dmen they drafted and the fact that Russo and Burroughs will need to be signed soon, I was a bit suprised that Graham was added to the mix while keeping Ness in the fold too.

Reinhart and Pelech were unimpressive and did not necessarily stand out for good or bad. They were just logging minutes. Pelech tried to jump up in the offensive zone a couple times but didn't do much. Reinhart took some shots on net but he is no Pulock in that respect.

I'm convinced that Reinhart will make it here as an unassuming Dman, who will turn into a reliable defensive stalwart.

Nonetheless, sounds like he's got a ways to go before he can actually do enough to put a pro team into a better winning position.

As for Pelech, I don't really care for his skating, so if he's not gonna cut it at the AHL level (and there's PLENTY of time to wait for him), then it's not gonna be enough for him to be an NHLer.

I won't worry about either now.

I really like Mayfield. He should not be rushed but he should be an NHL defender at some point. Probably a physical and cheap third pairing-type next season or the season after.

At this point, it'd be an INCREDIBLE plus for this franchise if he could simply take over Strait's role on the team in a more adequate way by the end of his ELC. Even then, he's gonna need seasoning at the NHL level to deal with all the nuances.

He's a project, but one worth taking our time with.

Just hope he won't be prone to the type of brain farts we're used to seeing from a Strait and earlier Carkner, but that he can combine the best of both their games.

This looks like a completely different team from the first couple months of the season when Pulock and Church were logging big minutes. Ness, Graham and Lashoff are not playing well in the games I have seen. I like Church and thought he was a stabilizing influence earlier in the season. Maybe I am wrong but he has to be a better option than Lashoff, Ness or Graham.

I've wondered about Church. Expected A LOT more from him. He looked pretty decent up in the show last spring.

I was hoping to see more growth from Persson or Sundstrom from earlier in the season but left disappointed. Persson tried to be physical at times but was beaten by smaller players a couple times. In the coming draft, the Isles should look to draft or sign a couple over-agers late to add some better depth and physical play in the AHL at forward.

I suggest looking to sign. There are TONS of quality overagers out there at the moment and only the best will be drafted this summer, likely first as of the 3rd round. But in light of the gobs of talent in this draft, I hope the team sticks to the kids in their initial draft year. I believe the depth here is solid enough to be getting the next wave of Hamonics, Martins (OK, was an overager) and Spurgeons alone with our later picks.

The team can go about making a better BPort alone through free agency and bringing another couple of its own kids into the fray.

Alternatively, it would also be great if the Isles could convince Ullstrom, Rakhshani, etc. to return to the AHL and help with development. Although I assume they will make more money in the KHL/SHL versus playing in the AHL.

That'd be interesting. Rakhshani is having a year to forget in Sweden, despite being on one of the league's favorites. Ullstrom is doing alright with 11-11-22 in 45 KHL games and some say he's a better allrounder right now.

I think of all the kids down there now, I'm most disappointed with Sundstrom. I once felt he might be able to become as important a depth player as Cizikas. No indication of that whatsoever this year.

I suspect he'll head back to Sweden and hope to develop differently there like so many promising Swedes before him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on with Church. The games I went to earlier in the season, he was solid on the ice. By no means was he spectacular, however, he did not seem to be making the glaring mental mistakes that Graham is making, taking dumb penalties like Lashoff or getting physically manhandled like Ness. There must be something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Again I was really impressed with Mayfield's hustle. I mean to lay out and block shots when the game has already been decided, and the rest of the team has obviously given up, tells me something about his heart and desire. I am rooting for him to make it.

Sunday's game it seems it was Pelech's turn to jump up and join the play in the offensive zone (last time Mayfield was far more active). If they want to win and develop the better player, I suggest they let Mayfield take the bulk of the chances going forward. Mayfield seems far better suited for the role. Mayfield's skating is better right now and he is the more physical player. He seems to be getting better, which is impressive on a bad team.

Like you, I am disappointed in Sundstrom's development this season. I thought he could be a (slightly) better Ullstrom and be a player who can be called up as needed and provide more upside than Colin McDonald. Right now that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on with Church. The games I went to earlier in the season, he was solid on the ice. By no means was he spectacular, however, he did not seem to be making the glaring mental mistakes that Graham is making, taking dumb penalties like Lashoff or getting physically manhandled like Ness. There must be something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Again I was really impressed with Mayfield's hustle. I mean to lay out and block shots when the game has already been decided, and the rest of the team has obviously given up, tells me something about his heart and desire. I am rooting for him to make it.

Sunday's game it seems it was Pelech's turn to jump up and join the play in the offensive zone (last time Mayfield was far more active). If they want to win and develop the better player, I suggest they let Mayfield take the bulk of the chances going forward. Mayfield seems far better suited for the role. Mayfield's skating is better right now and he is the more physical player. He seems to be getting better, which is impressive on a bad team.

Like you, I am disappointed in Sundstrom's development this season. I thought he could be a (slightly) better Ullstrom and be a player who can be called up as needed and provide more upside than Colin McDonald. Right now that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

I think it generally takes 2 years for a forward and 3 years for a defenseman, for the most part, to get comfortable enough playing a pro game at the AHL level. Not talking about the elite talents like Strome, who has all the tools, just needs to adjust to the speed/strength of the game, I mean to learn how to play and be effective/productive.

Look at how good players like Halmo, Zolnierczyk play in their short NHL stints. I think Quine will get a short look at some point, though I suspect he may not be good enough to make the Islanders either.

Ullstrom got AHL-good, but I never thought he had NHL hands/hockeyIQ, even though he had size and speed. Same for Joensuu who had great size and good shot. Most of these guys simply won't be good enough. Sundstrom might be one of those guys who doesn't do anything well enough for the NHL, not enough hockeyIQ/offense/hands, like Ullstrom (who was much more productive)

I only saw Mayfield 3-4 times in Denver and he was impressive with his size and mobility, but very raw. Glad to see he's turning a corner but I'd expect him to need another year in the AHL at least.

Funny how the "rebuild" talks in Toronto are going full-tilt and many underestimate how long it will take these teenagers until they are actually productive NHL players and leaders - those who make the team better rather than just make the team. Leaf fans are seeing that in players like Kadri now who may not top-out as a #1C or maybe not even a #2C, or Gardiner who can't seem to get the (defense) position at all. His mistakes make Donovan/Strait look like Ray Bourque by comparison.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
You would never know that this team is loaded with high end defensive prospect. I don't know enough about the coaching there. Who thinks that might have something to do with it?

On a lighter note, Poulin is maintaining a goa in the mid 2s despite the lackluster defensive play. I know 2.66 is nothing special, but considering the poor play of the defense, it's somewhat encouraging.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Just curious, how much offensive upside does Pulock have? Looked at his point totals and saw that most of his points are goals. Is he just scoring as a result of being a trigger on the PP or does he set up a fair amount of chances as well? Thanks!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just curious, how much offensive upside does Pulock have? Looked at his point totals and saw that most of his points are goals. Is he just scoring as a result of being a trigger on the PP or does he set up a fair amount of chances as well? Thanks!

Bridgeport's entire PP runs through Pulock, partly because he has an absolute bomb of a shot, and partly because Bridgeport has little firepower as a whole.

I think he'll he could be 15-20 goal scorer on the Islanders (especially considering what the type of skill on the big club). He'll definitely rack up a ton assists too as long as Anders Lee and Brock Nelson stick around.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well this is alarming..

Like I said before, Graham has been terrible in the BST games I have seen. Poor decision making, mental mistakes, getting beat physically, etc. Maybe this is a wake up call and/or a chance for him to play a slower game and regain some confidence.

As for Church, no idea what is going on there. Has to be more behind the scenes for his sharp decline and banishment. I mean Lashoff is brutal and has zero upside. Maybe Church and Graham are not taking the game and their approach seriously. Very strange turn of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad