Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Lashoff will not only be an upgrade to Bports D , but I would not be surprised if he gets an NHL deal down the road especially if his Euro time helped his game get to the next level. Not saying he is great but a NHL playoff team needs as many capable Dmen come playoff time as they can.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Lashoff will not only be an upgrade to Bports D , but I would not be surprised if he gets an NHL deal down the road especially if his Euro time helped his game get to the next level. Not saying he is great but a NHL playoff team needs as many capable Dmen come playoff time as they can.

Lashoff would move to the top of the off roster depth chart for injury call up.
Pulock is injured and will undergo lengthy PT rehab.
Griff is green and needs time. Same for Pelech.
Czuczman and Mayfield are next in line to Strait and Donovan but have no NHL experience (or only a very few games).
Lashoff has more NHL experience than any of the above.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Lashoff would move to the top of the off roster depth chart for injury call up.
Pulock is injured and will undergo lengthy PT rehab.
Griff is green and needs time. Same for Pelech.
Czuczman and Mayfield are next in line to Strait and Donovan but have no NHL experience (or only a very few games).
Lashoff has more NHL experience than any of the above.

Let's hope they never get that far in depth chart, right now with Vis hurt you have Donovan, Reinhart, Ness, Czuczman, Mayfield all ahead of him plus Graham and Pelech if you'd rather one of our prospects come up over him but he should help with depth in AHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Will be interesting to see if Lashoff can do much.

Word is, his time abroad has been hard - often off the ice as well.

Defensively, he's had major problems keeping up with things in the SHL and KHL after a so-so season in Switzerland. Offensively, he's completely fallen off the map.

I'm thinking he's gotta make some changes elsewhere before he can play some productive ice hockey.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The team is 6-9 in its last 15 games.

Unfortunately, it looks like they have a real problem scoring goals - and preventing goals. In addition, when they do keep the opponents from scoring much, they aren't scoring either.

Also, it just doesn't seem like our own drafted prospects are doing much in the line of spearheading the attack. Quine, Ness and Pulock are really the only ones who, throughout the season, have been producing. Also, I'd say the production shown by Graham and Reinhart is sufficient for AHL rookies.

For me, the Swedes are the disappointment, particularly Sundstrom, who seems to be falling off the map.

Sad - he looked so promising as an AHL rookie. Now I just don't see a spot for him in the future.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Unfortunately, it looks like they have a real problem scoring goals - and preventing goals. In addition, when they do keep the opponents from scoring much, they aren't scoring either.

Also, it just doesn't seem like our own drafted prospects are doing much in the line of spearheading the attack. Quine, Ness and Pulock are really the only ones who, throughout the season, have been producing. Also, I'd say the production shown by Graham and Reinhart is sufficient for AHL rookies.

For me, the Swedes are the disappointment, particularly Sundstrom, who seems to be falling off the map.

Sad - he looked so promising as an AHL rookie. Now I just don't see a spot for him in the future.
I agree. Sundstrom was a guy I thought would be a big 3rd line center and eventual successor to Frans. He has had injury issues each year and has not progressed. Person had some promise and also has regressed.
Both will wind up in Europe with Ullstrom who Cappy never liked but I thought could play 4th line.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

All our top young forwards seem to be at the NHL level or in juniors. Bridgeport right now, more or less, is reaping the rewards of the infamous all-defense class. Who is our top forward prospect down then, Collberg? Shame about Sundstrom though, I high high hopes for him like many others.

Nice to hear Quine is doing well, very much liked redrafting him after he went back into the draft.

We'll see what happens when Dal Colle and Ho-Sang arrive.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
All our top young forwards seem to be at the NHL level or in juniors. Bridgeport right now, more or less, is reaping the rewards of the infamous all-defense class. Who is our top forward prospect down then, Collberg? Shame about Sundstrom though, I high high hopes for him like many others.

Nice to hear Quine is doing well, very much liked redrafting him after he went back into the draft.

Halmo has 4th line potential if ever needed, not much else. The best forwards have all graduated and we need to start re stocking. This year won't be helpful unless we can get someone in the later rounds or Garth can move up by using the 2 3rd rounders.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Agreed. Sundstrom hasn't been noticeable during the times I've gone. Collberg wasn't either, but he displayed glimpses the last time I went. He's a project, and we're deep at the NHL level, so we have all the time in the world to wait on him. If he continues to build on his recent play, I think we could at least have a guy who could give us some top-six depth late next season. Maybe early in the 2016-17 season.

With Griff, I don't think his numbers do him justice. I've been to three games so far, all of which he was solid, but in two of the games he finished with a minus rating. The most recent game I saw, he looked to be jumping up in the play a lot more. I'm hoping that continues, and we'll see that side to him when he ultimately gets his next promotion.

Pulock and Graham have been great though. I think Graham is a real sleeper on the blue-line, and Pulock could make our PP extremely dangerous next year if they decide to let Visnovsky walk(which I'm guessing will only happen if we're able to lock up Boychuk).

Overall, I'm very happy with where our defense is at. A lot of solid youth at the NHL level(Hamonic, CdH, Leddy, Hickey) with the two big names making the transition sometime in the next year-year 1/2. As long as we're able to keep JB around, I think our D is a good bet to enter the league's elite over the next several seasons.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Overall, I'm very happy with where our defense is at. A lot of solid youth at the NHL level(Hamonic, CdH, Leddy, Hickey) with the two big names making the transition sometime in the next year-year 1/2. As long as we're able to keep JB around, I think our D is a good bet to enter the league's elite over the next several seasons.

I think you're right. I mean, how could it not when we get our two blue-chippers up (Reinhart and Pulock) and de Haan snaps out of it? Leddy looks to be a long term stud, and if Boychuk stays then, well, damn.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think you're right. I mean, how could it not when we get our two blue-chippers up (Reinhart and Pulock) and de Haan snaps out of it? Leddy looks to be a long term stud, and if Boychuk stays then, well, damn.

Lots of Hopes in there. Hoping Boychuk re-signs, Hoping, DeHaan snaps out of it, Hoping Reinhart and Pulock turn out as projected. I'm right there with you, but just reading your post makes those things seem like a lot if's.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Lots of Hopes in there. Hoping Boychuk re-signs, Hoping, DeHaan snaps out of it, Hoping Reinhart and Pulock turn out as projected. I'm right there with you, but just reading your post makes those things seem like a lot if's.
Not sure about Boychuk, the longer he goes unsigned the less likely he is to return. Dehaan will be fine, he's just having a sophomore slump. I think Pulock will replace Vis next year but I'm still not sold on Reinhart being ready for next year. I think he could be a few years away but if we don't sign Boychuk then he could be rushed into the lineup next year.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Not sure about Boychuk, the longer he goes unsigned the less likely he is to return. Dehaan will be fine, he's just having a sophomore slump. I think Pulock will replace Vis next year but I'm still not sold on Reinhart being ready for next year. I think he could be a few years away but if we don't sign Boychuk then he could be rushed into the lineup next year.

Boychuk can go wherever he wants. He is going to be the top UFA defenseman this year. Every team is going to want to sign this guy. I just hope we do as much in the post season as we're doing right now to convince him to stick around.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Boychuk can go wherever he wants. He is going to be the top UFA defenseman this year. Every team is going to want to sign this guy. I just hope we do as much in the post season as we're doing right now to convince him to stick around.

Staple said in a recent podcast that he thinks it's 65/35 that Boychuk re-signs with us. He said that he and his family like the area and are comfortable here and with the organization and teammates, and what is important to him is that he can see we are building a long term success on the ice to win championships that he wants to be a part of.
Most don't realize that although Boychuk has won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, and he is already 31 years old, his rookie NHL season was the same year as Tavares and he was 26 years old.

Staple said that there are really very few teams that have both the cap space and are developed enough to challenge for championships to compete with us for signing him. He mentioned it might take a bit more money and term than he would like to give but that he knows how important this player will be in our plans for the next 5 years.

I do not see Garth letting him walk away if he is in fact willing to sign here. If Staple is right, the tough part about liking the area and the team is a non-ssue, one we could not really control. The pay package is one that we can control, so I look for an announcement before the trade deadline.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Staple said in a recent podcast that he thinks it's 65/35 that Boychuk re-signs with us. He said that he and his family like the area and are comfortable here and with the organization and teammates, and what is important to him is that he can see we are building a long term success on the ice to win championships that he wants to be a part of.
Most don't realize that although Boychuk has won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, and he is already 31 years old, his rookie NHL season was the same year as Tavares and he was 26 years old.

Staple said that there are really very few teams that have both the cap space and are developed enough to challenge for championships to compete with us for signing him. He mentioned it might take a bit more money and term than he would like to give but that he knows how important this player will be in our plans for the next 5 years.

I do not see Garth letting him walk away if he is in fact willing to sign here. If Staple is right, the tough part about liking the area and the team is a non-ssue, one we could not really control. The pay package is one that we can control, so I look for an announcement before the trade deadline.

I agree with you fully here and see the points in the same light.

There are few teams in the entire NHL that can A) pay something like what he'll be looking for and B) supply the future promise that the Islanders clearly possess.

I'd even have to go so far as to say that for players like Leddy and Boychuk, there's probably no better situation they could possibly realistically imagine than this.

Young team that is winning now and will clearly only get better.
Can pay.
New ownership.
Is moving to an exciting venue in a cool burough of one of the planet's most exciting and invigarating cities.

I'd have to say that either would be downright OFF HIS ROCKER to skip out on resigning here for the sake of maybe a few more years or a million more on what'll be 5+ million per contracts to play somewhere else.

Let's hope that there's little to consider here and that Boychuk and then later Leddy will have no thoughts in making this the team they're going to battle for and win with for a few more years.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I agree with you fully here and see the points in the same light.

There are few teams in the entire NHL that can A) pay something like what he'll be looking for and B) supply the future promise that the Islanders clearly possess.

I'd even have to go so far as to say that for players like Leddy and Boychuk, there's probably no better situation they could possibly realistically imagine than this.

Young team that is winning now and will clearly only get better.
Can pay.
New ownership.
Is moving to an exciting venue in a cool burough of one of the planet's most exciting and invigarating cities.

I'd have to say that either would be downright OFF HIS ROCKER to skip out on resigning here for the sake of maybe a few more years or a million more on what'll be 5+ million per contracts to play somewhere else.

Let's hope that there's little to consider here and that Boychuk and then later Leddy will have no thoughts in making this the team they're going to battle for and win with for a few more years.

As a good businessman I would expect Snow to try and leverage his advantages to get as friendly a contract that he can which satisfies both player and team. Other incentives such as signing bonus, NTC/NMC or modified version, term of contract, other possible incentives.
These two players are now a known quantity, not a potential prospect or first or second year man. These two, Hammer are proven.
deHaan is in the growth stage. You build your defense for the next 5-7 years around these guys as a core, and add those who show potential such as Griff and Pulock to the mix, hoping that they reach their peak potential.
While Snow can bargain diligently for the best deal, he can not afford to lose either player unless they are asking for unrealistic deals.
$250,000 can not be a deal breaker.

onesinceforty

Jun 24, 2006
Love all these thoughts and agree totally. BUT why is this discussion in the BST thread? Let's bring this thread back around to our crappy team from Connecticut.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

A strategy somewhat similar to Quine may be to consider forwards like Tim McGauley (Brandon) and Dryden Hunt (Medicine Hat) in the 2015 Draft. They both were previously undrafted and are having break-out years. Older draft choices often fall farther than their younger counterparts (we don't draft in the first two rounds). They would have the advantage of being closer to turning pro tha others to re-stock Bridgeport or Stockton. Hunt played with Regina and is a buddy of Kyle Burroughs

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
A strategy somewhat similar to Quine may be to consider forwards like Tim McGauley (Brandon) and Dryden Hunt (Medicine Hat) in the 2015 Draft. They both were previously undrafted and are having break-out years. Older draft choices often fall farther than their younger counterparts (we don't draft in the first two rounds). They would have the advantage of being closer to turning pro tha others to re-stock Bridgeport or Stockton. Hunt played with Regina and is a buddy of Kyle Burroughs

Seems like soundtigers should be playing better(i know the D is young) but guys like Conacher & Mcdonald are good AHL players. i guess they lack a true 2nd offensive center behind Moulleriat.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
So I have been checking the last couple of BP Sound Tiger recaps and no Collberg in the lineup. And then I found this tweet:

https://twitter.com/fornabaioctp/status/559198134400978944

Michael Fornabaio
‏@fornabaioctp
Collberg has an arm in a sling, more "week-to-week" than day-to-day, Thompson said. Meanwhile that Gallant penalty=back to a charge. #BST

From JAN 25th. Sucks. This kid has had like no time to develop with the amount of injuries he has had.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What's the story with Gallant, btw? Can that dude play hockey or can he just fight? Besides last year (when we were down to our 20th forward), is he a candidate for a 4th line energy guy (ala Halmo) at some point? Does he hit a lot too or just drop the gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad