Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He might be nicked up. They pulled him from his last game iirc.

Yeah, and everyone thought he was held out because he was being called up. Poor guy, every time he seems close to the NHL, he gets hurt.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hey guys, was up in the Poconos Saturday, and my Uncle had gotten us tickets for the Bridgeport vs Lehigh Valley PA Phantoms (Flyer's AHL team). It was about an hour away, so not a bad drive. Brand new state of the art arena there too, as the Phantoms have moved from Philly to Allentown. Beautiful minor league arena. Anyway, though my uncle is a Ranger's fan, oddly enough he doesn't hate the Islander's, but he definitely hates the Flyers, so we were both rooting hard against the Phantoms.

Anyway, to the game, the Soumdtigers wound up winning in a shootout 3-2 after tying the game late (5 minutes to go) on a goal by Colin McDonald. Some thoughts: Pelech, looked very solid, was playing on the PP and PK. I'm assuming he was on the PP because Pulock wasn't there. But Pelech played a very solid game. Czuczman looked very confident, he was playing in all situations as well, and used his good skating defensively and offensively. Mayfield is huge, he impressed by playing a very simple game. Kael Moulrat or however it is spelled was very unimpressive, UNTIL, he scored the shootout winner. Graham is extremely fast but so small. With 1 second left in the 2nd period, he missed a WIDE OPEN net with a chance to tie it late. Poulin was very solid, seems like a different goalie, played very well, especially in the shootout stopping the last two shots. I will post some pictures and video I took in the next day or two.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bridgeport played at home today against Leheigh Valley, lost 5-3, Pulock did score a goal, his 9th in 21 AHL games this season.

This was a tweet from the Sound Tigers Communications guy that I stumbled upon. This kid seems like a lethal powerplay weapon.

@paulryanpaul: Sound Tigers 5-on-3 was literally just get the puck to Pulock. No setup. Just let Ryan blast it (he scored btw)

https://twitter.com/paulryanpaul/status/541707790193295361

scott99

May 13, 2005
Regarding Pulock, I know I'm being captain obvious, but obviously his shot is so hard, that most goalies can't catch up to it. I remember in last year's exhibition game, he was still 18 at the time (turned 19 in Oct 2013), and just blasted it by the goalie (AN NHL GOALIE !). So he's going to be deadly in the NHL as well, may not be able to blast it past most good NHL goalies, but if there is a screen, they will have a tough time stopping it. I don't remember a young defenseman having such a deadly slap shot, since Al McInnis.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Regarding Pulock, I know I'm being captain obvious, but obviously his shot is so hard, that most goalies can't catch up to it. I remember in last year's exhibition game, he was still 18 at the time (turned 19 in Oct 2013), and just blasted it by the goalie (AN NHL GOALIE !). So he's going to be deadly in the NHL as well, may not be able to blast it past most good NHL goalies, but if there is a screen, they will have a tough time stopping it. I don't remember a young defenseman having such a deadly slap shot, since Al McInnis.

Read his shot was compared to Al McInnis by someone. Chara and Weber have sick power, but if it is McInnis-like Pulock will be in their category. Key thing, get it on net.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Read his shot was compared to Al McInnis by someone. Chara and Weber have sick power, but if it is McInnis-like Pulock will be in their category. Key thing, get it on net.

Pulock does have a shot that has been compared to very elite company. Reason being is more often than not he's going to hit the cage.

A LOT of defenders have come through the ranks with blistering shots. However, they seldom knew how to harness said shot.

You look at a MAB for example. The reason he's not in the ranks of a Chara or Weber is because the guy was wildly inaccurate and had little to no prowess with the shot.

Pulock has shown that not only can he hit the net, but can do it with regularity.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Pulock does have a shot that has been compared to very elite company. Reason being is more often than not he's going to hit the cage.

A LOT of defenders have come through the ranks with blistering shots. However, they seldom knew how to harness said shot.

You look at a MAB for example. The reason he's not in the ranks of a Chara or Weber is because the guy was wildly inaccurate and had little to no prowess with the shot.

Pulock has shown that not only can he hit the net, but can do it with regularity.

If you're judging shot accuracy by how often someone hits the net, keep in mind that it becomes a very different story in the NHL where defenses are far better at taking away shooting lanes. In the NHL, when shooting from the point your first aim is to get it past the forward who is covering you. Often this means you aim around that player and hope for the best, because if he blocks your shot, it becomes a very dangerous play and he has a good chance at a breakaway.

Most NHL level players with good shots don't have any problem hitting the net from the blueline with a slapshot. Accuracy tends to be less of an issue as an ability to find a shooting lane where you actually can just aim at the net without worrying too much about the shot getting blocked. And while a lot indicates that Pulock will be able to do that at the NHL level, I wouldn't necessarily assume it based on his AHL play, as there's a lot less time and space on the NHL ice.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Also, some players have a great shot put slow release.

Most of you are too young to remember Stefan Persson, who was known primarily as a playmaking defender. He had one of the hardest shots I'd ever seen and there was basically no way for a goalie to keep it out of the next when he unwound it. But, it took him forever to get the shot off, so he'd only wind up with a half doze goals a year.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If you're judging shot accuracy by how often someone hits the net, keep in mind that it becomes a very different story in the NHL where defenses are far better at taking away shooting lanes. In the NHL, when shooting from the point your first aim is to get it past the forward who is covering you. Often this means you aim around that player and hope for the best, because if he blocks your shot, it becomes a very dangerous play and he has a good chance at a breakaway.

Most NHL level players with good shots don't have any problem hitting the net from the blueline with a slapshot. Accuracy tends to be less of an issue as an ability to find a shooting lane where you actually can just aim at the net without worrying too much about the shot getting blocked. And while a lot indicates that Pulock will be able to do that at the NHL level, I wouldn't necessarily assume it based on his AHL play, as there's a lot less time and space on the NHL ice.

Isn't that the case in the AHL and even high lvl Juniors to a degree?

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Pulock's wrister seems harder than many of our D's slapper. So, I'm really not worried about his shot translating.

Also, people are going to think twice before blocking his slapper. He's got an intimidation factor there which elite shooters have.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Isn't that the case in the AHL and even high lvl Juniors to a degree?

If you don't have an open shooting lane, then of course. But the defending players aren't as big, fast or positionally strong in the AHL and juniors, which makes it easier to find an open shooting lane, which in turns makes it easier to get shots on net.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Norfolk wins 2-1 over Bridgeport, guess who scored the only goal-Pulock.

He got off to a slow start, so he's really been on fire offensively. I bet he'll get to the Island by the end of the year. We haven't had an offensive dman prospect in many years as lethal as Pulock.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
He got off to a slow start, so he's really been on fire offensively. I bet he'll get to the Island by the end of the year. We haven't had an offensive dman prospect in many years as lethal as Pulock.

Only with injuries will he play for the isles.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i don't see why the kid isn't given a try. he's earned it.

yet (and is this a slight on Cappy?), why are we not utilizing Boychuk on the top PP?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
i don't see why the kid isn't given a try. he's earned it.

yet (and is this a slight on Cappy?), why are we not utilizing Boychuk on the top PP?

I think he might get the call up next time if one is needed. But two to the injuries need to happen before then.

Boychuk has been given a chance and will in the future.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I think he might get the call up next time if one is needed. But two to the injuries need to happen before then.

Boychuk has been given a chance and will in the future.

he was great when he was there, so why isn't he there now? did i miss something? my guess is that Cappy needs him on the PP, and doesn't want to wear him out. other than that, i can't think of anything...

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
he was great when he was there, so why isn't he there now? did i miss something? my guess is that Cappy needs him on the PP, and doesn't want to wear him out. other than that, i can't think of anything...

Because even with boychuk they were struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad