Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Man the Tigers are going to be 'entertaining' the rest of the season. They are already 2nd in the AHL in PIM's and now they have added Dyson Stevenson. Along with Mark Louis and Carkner staying in the A, well let's just say the Charleston Chiefs have come to town. LOL

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
still gotta put butts in seats and this has worked in the past. I had high hopes for this team when the season started but with the young D, and pathetic 3rd and 4th line players Bport was and is god awful. I doubt I will go see them play again this year and also believe that I will wait on season tickets for next year until I see whats is going to be on the roster. Wasting 2000 clams to see less than mediocre play is not a value I like .

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just about everything that could go wrong for the BST, after the first month or so, has gone wrong. Just a few thoughts on some of the forwards -

I think the Isles assumed they were going to be able to sneak Jack Skille through waivers and that he would help in the AHL. Obviously Columbus claimed him. Conacher was useless in the games that I watched (shocking, I know). Ideally you need more production from the fringe AHL/NHL players signed as free agents.

Collberg was hurt and never got going. He needs to get bigger and stronger - without getting slower. Hopefully he returns and is ready to really compete next season. I had high hopes for Sundstrom but he hasn't developed (at least not yet). The same goes for Persson. Need to see a lot more and he has to play a better physical game if he wants to be a 4th line forward in the NHL someday.

I am still intrigued by Alan Quine and Harry Z is a good depth player to keep around in the AHL. Mike Halmo has been out for a while but is supposed to be back soon. He could be another solid depth option worth keeping around. I am not sold on MallRat right now but he could be a good second/third-liner in the AHL if he is brought back.

In short, lots of changes need to be made before next season. Existing players that will be brought back need to get bigger and stronger while at least 50% of the forward corps probably needs an overhaul.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Biggest problem with this year's Bridgeport team is by far the lack of experience on defense. Going into the start of the season the only player on Bridgeport's roster who had any more than 1 full AHL season under his belt was Aaron Ness, and Scott Mayfield and Andrey Pedan were the next closest with just 1!! Going into next season Garth Snow is going to need to add a solid depth free agent veteran defenseman for Bridgeport. I can't see Aaron Ness being retained either, he at this point is just not worth keeping. There really was a lot of pressure on all of the youngsters to just jump into the mix and contribute right away.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
And people here were expecting those youngsters on D to jump right into the NHL?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just about everything that could go wrong for the BST, after the first month or so, has gone wrong. Just a few thoughts on some of the forwards -

I think the Isles assumed they were going to be able to sneak Jack Skille through waivers and that he would help in the AHL. Obviously Columbus claimed him. Conacher was useless in the games that I watched (shocking, I know). Ideally you need more production from the fringe AHL/NHL players signed as free agents.

Collberg was hurt and never got going. He needs to get bigger and stronger - without getting slower. Hopefully he returns and is ready to really compete next season. I had high hopes for Sundstrom but he hasn't developed (at least not yet). The same goes for Persson. Need to see a lot more and he has to play a better physical game if he wants to be a 4th line forward in the NHL someday.

I am still intrigued by Alan Quine and Harry Z is a good depth player to keep around in the AHL. Mike Halmo has been out for a while but is supposed to be back soon. He could be another solid depth option worth keeping around. I am not sold on MallRat right now but he could be a good second/third-liner in the AHL if he is brought back.

In short, lots of changes need to be made before next season. Existing players that will be brought back need to get bigger and stronger while at least 50% of the forward corps probably needs an overhaul.

Great post.

Halmo, Persson, and Sundstrom's contracts run out. I only see one of the three being resigned, but I can't say who it'd be.

Mouillerat would be a nice retention, but I think there's a 50/50 chance he'll be in Europe next season. He needs to choose between A) one last NHL shot, although very unlikely or B) better, steadier pay in Germany, Switzerland or Sweden.

Collberg and Quine will be back in the fold and I sure hope they hang on to Zolnierczyck. He too could choose the European route.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Stetch retained. Could care less about the guys like Vaughan or Langkow. Just fillers.

Would love to see Gallant be kept in the organization, but no telling there. Maybe Lukas Sutter will be given another look. Doubt any of Rakhshani, Dibenedetto or Ullstrom will be brought back in. None are currently NHL caliber and none would earn more money in the AHL than in Europe. The same applies to Petrov.

As I see it, more needs to be added and I'm thinking VCR will be one of the new bodies. No other forward prospect in the system needs to be signed this summer. Lots of other forwards will be necessary though. MAYBE Jeffries will become an older guy to count on to end this season and stick around next season.

Dmen will come in. Chances are that no less than four of Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech, Graham, Czuczman, and Mayfield will be in BPort. Seriously hope Russo is brought in. I think Burroughs needs to be signed too. Tough calls here, especially since neither Pulock (injury) or Reinhart have made claims for an NHL spot this season.

Can't comment on goaltending - but it needs to improve.

All in all, looks like a lot of slim pickings right now.

And yes, I left out Ness on purpose...

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Great post.

Halmo, Persson, and Sundstrom's contracts run out. I only see one of the three being resigned, but I can't say who it'd be.

Mouillerat would be a nice retention, but I think there's a 50/50 chance he'll be in Europe next season. He needs to choose between A) one last NHL shot, although very unlikely or B) better, steadier pay in Germany, Switzerland or Sweden.

Collberg and Quine will be back in the fold and I sure hope they hang on to Zolnierczyck. He too could choose the European route.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Stetch retained. Could care less about the guys like Vaughan or Langkow. Just fillers.

Would love to see Gallant be kept in the organization, but no telling there. Maybe Lukas Sutter will be given another look. Doubt any of Rakhshani, Dibenedetto or Ullstrom will be brought back in. None are currently NHL caliber and none would earn more money in the AHL than in Europe. The same applies to Petrov.

As I see it, more needs to be added and I'm thinking VCR will be one of the new bodies. No other forward prospect in the system needs to be signed this summer. Lots of other forwards will be necessary though. MAYBE Jeffries will become an older guy to count on to end this season and stick around next season.

Dmen will come in. Chances are that no less than four of Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech, Graham, Czuczman, and Mayfield will be in BPort. Seriously hope Russo is brought in. I think Burroughs needs to be signed too. Tough calls here, especially since neither Pulock (injury) or Reinhart have made claims for an NHL spot this season.

Can't comment on goaltending - but it needs to improve.

All in all, looks like a lot of slim pickings right now.

And yes, I left out Ness on purpose...

I think Halmo is coming back. He's the type who's a leader in the room from all I've heard. Losing him to the broken wrist injury was a huge blow, the team was actually playing well when he was healthy.

I think VCR will be signed, only due to the fact that we don't have any AHL eligible forwards leaving Juniors or NCAA for next season. The islanders may need to sign a couple NCAA undrafted free agent forwards to fill some spots.

I'm not so sure about Burroughs or Russo being signed, unless we plan on moving Mayfield or Pelech as a piece to a bigger trade in the offseason.

I really hope Dustin Jeffrey is re-signed, he's even an upgrade on Mouillerat as far as a recall is concerned due to his NHL experience. I was happy to see him acquired on deadline day.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Amazing how adding two veteran top pairing defensemen can change things eh? Lets just keep ignoring that little factoid though.
Thank god that we did or it would have been another long losing season. Do you really think Reinhart and Pulock would have had the same impact as Boychuk and Leddy?

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i know it's REALLY early to foresee, but anyone want to take a stab at who will be back next year?

p.s. Stretch got traded didn't he?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm not so sure about Burroughs or Russo being signed, unless we plan on moving Mayfield or Pelech as a piece to a bigger trade in the offseason.

It would be VERY hard not to sign Russo at this point, cause I can't imagine Graham is any better and my experience is that many folks at USA hockey feel very strongly about him as a leader and character guy who can do a little bit of everything.

Actually, my impression is that Burroughs may be better than Graham as well, so we'll have to see there.

And I still have that feeling that Snow doesn't want to miss out on the next Hickey/Spurgeon just because he didn't give the kid a shot when fact is, the money and contracts are available.

I certainly hope we don't NOT sign these kids just because contracts are tied up in dead weight like Clark or unliklies like perhaps Leduc and Czuczman.

Don't think the presence of Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield will have any bearing on the signing of these two. I also think that several of the college Dmen we drafted out of high school are more likely not to be contracted once their college careers are over. They were long shots from the beginning (i.e. Bischoff and Somerby).

I really hope Dustin Jeffrey is re-signed, he's even an upgrade on Mouillerat as far as a recall is concerned due to his NHL experience. I was happy to see him acquired on deadline day.

Has he even played for BPort yet?

I suspect he might take the European route too after the season, but he does have a good bit of NHL experience that would make him more interesting in a pinch, either in the regular season or in the playoffs - if needed.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
It would be VERY hard not to sign Russo at this point, cause I can't imagine Graham is any better and my experience is that many folks at USA hockey feel very strongly about him as a leader and character guy who can do a little bit of everything.

Actually, my impression is that Burroughs may be better than Graham as well, so we'll have to see there.

And I still have that feeling that Snow doesn't want to miss out on the next Hickey/Spurgeon just because he didn't give the kid a shot when fact is, the money and contracts are available.

I certainly hope we don't NOT sign these kids just because contracts are tied up in dead weight like Clark or unliklies like perhaps Leduc and Czuczman.

Don't think the presence of Reinhart, Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield will have any bearing on the signing of these two. I also think that several of the college Dmen we drafted out of high school are more likely not to be contracted once their college careers are over. They were long shots from the beginning (i.e. Bischoff and Somerby).

Has he even played for BPort yet?

I suspect he might take the European route too after the season, but he does have a good bit of NHL experience that would make him more interesting in a pinch, either in the regular season or in the playoffs - if needed.

Yes, 2 games 2 goals, 1 assist.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
i know it's REALLY early to foresee, but anyone want to take a stab at who will be back next year?

p.s. Stretch got traded didn't he?

Under Contract

Forwards (2): Quine, Collberg

Defense (6): Mayfield, Pelech, Leduc, Reinhart, Pulock, Graham

Goalies (0)

RFA's

Forwards (6): Persson, Halmo, Sundstrom, Mallet, Gallant, Clark

Defense (2): Czuczman, Ness

Goalies (2): Poulin, Simpson

UFA's

Forwards (3): Zolnierczck, Mouillerat, Jeffrey

Defense (2): Louis, Carkner

Everyone else I didn't name is under an AHL contract.

So like usual there will be plenty of new faces.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Under Contract

Forwards (2): Quine, Collberg

Defense (6): Mayfield, Pelech, Leduc, Reinhart, Pulock, Graham

Goalies (0)

RFA's

Forwards (6): Persson, Halmo, Sundstrom, Mallet, Gallant, Clark

Defense (2): Czuczman, Ness

Goalies (2): Poulin, Simpson

UFA's

Forwards (3): Zolnierczck, Mouillerat, Jeffrey

Defense (2): Louis, Carkner

Everyone else I didn't name is under an AHL contract.

So like usual there will be plenty of new faces.
Lukas Sutter I think u left off.
Also VCR will be 20 in a couple weeks making him AHL eligible next season, I think he stinks but he may get an offer.

I am hoping Halmo comes back I still think he can have a 4th line role for the Isles he has ok hands and is a very good antagonizer. I also hope Gallant is kept around as the Organizational goon, the kid is as tough as they come. Yet that would still would be 4 forwards. I also would not mind Sundstrom or Perrson coming back but they may be ticketed for Europe.
Now the UFA guys or veterans(A player who has played more than 260 NHL, AHL or European elite league regular-season games counts as a veteran (the rule doesn't apply to goalies). AHL teams are allowed to dress a maximum of six veterans per game – five veterans and one exempt veteran.)
Jeffrey and Zol woud be pretty good organization guys and both are deemed veterans.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Also VCR will be 20 in a couple weeks making him AHL eligible next season, I think he stinks but he may get an offer.

I am hoping Halmo comes back I still think he can have a 4th line role for the Isles he has ok hands and is a very good antagonizer. I also hope Gallant is kept around as the Organizational goon, the kid is as tough as they come. Yet that would still would be 4 forwards. I also would not mind Sundstrom or Perrson coming back but they may be ticketed for Europe.
Now the UFA guys or veterans(A player who has played more than 260 NHL, AHL or European elite league regular-season games counts as a veteran (the rule doesn't apply to goalies). AHL teams are allowed to dress a maximum of six veterans per game – five veterans and one exempt veteran.)
Jeffrey and Zol woud be pretty good organization guys and both are deemed veterans.

Sutter is on an AHL contract for this year, Islanders own his rights until 2016 I believe though, 2 years after being drafted.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
When Pulok and Reinhart come up next year, do you think they'll be playing on the same line?

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn

I am hoping Halmo comes back I still think he can have a 4th line role for the Isles he has ok hands and is a very good antagonizer..

The only way the Mike Halmo ever sees the inside of the Barclay Centre if he buys a ticket. Minor league players like Halmo are a dime a dozen and only get a cup of coffee on NHL is because of massive injuries, example: Michael Hailey.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
When Pulok and Reinhart come up next year, do you think they'll be playing on the same line?
I doubt they will both be promoted at the same time. Neither one is setting the world on fire in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad