Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The top four teams in the AHL don't have a single prospect in the top 50. The top ten teams have 4 of the top 50 prospects combined, and two of them were mid season callups. Why do you think that is?

Andrei Vasilevskiy (called up mid season)
Derrick Pouliot
Malcolm Subban
Teuvo Teravainen (called up mid season)

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The top four teams in the AHL don't have a single prospect in the top 50. The top ten teams have 4 of the top 50 prospects combined, and two of them were mid season callups. Why do you think that is?

Andrei Vasilevskiy (called up mid season)
Derrick Pouliot
Malcolm Subban
Teuvo Teravainen (called up mid season)

Are you telling me that Calder Championship teams haven't produced a large number of NHL players ??? What top 50 prospects are you talking about ? The top 50 AHL prospects ??

Players developed from Calder Cup Champions

Binghamton 2010-11

Eric Condra
Colin Grenning
Mike Hoffman
Patrick Weircioch
Zack Smith
Eric Gryba
Robin Lehner

Norfolk 2011-12

Tyler Johnson
Cory Conacher
Mark Barbeiro
Richard Panik
Ondrej Palat
Radko Gudas
Alex Killorn
Dustin Tokarski

Grand Rapids 2012-13

Gustav Nyquist
Tomas Tatar
Riley Sheahan
Tomas Jurco
Joakim Anderson
Luke Gendenning
Brandan Smith

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Are you telling me that Calder Championship teams haven't produced a large number of NHL players ??? What top 50 prospects are you talking about ? The top 50 AHL prospects ??

You have to go all the way back to 06-07 to find a player of real significance on a Calder winning team (Carey Price) who played a whopping 2 regular season games.

This argument is dumb and I'm not wasting any more of my time here. The AHL is a development league, google it, understand what it means and be enlightened. You send your promising young players there to work on their games, you use it to store depth and for rehabbing injured players. If you happen to win, congratulations.... it was likely an unintended byproduct.

The one instance where you will usually see a top team be led by a top prospect, is when it's a very good goaltender.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Players developed from Calder Cup Champions

Binghamton 2010-11

Eric Condra
Colin Grenning
Mike Hoffman
Patrick Weircioch
Zack Smith
Eric Gryba
Robin Lehner

Norfolk 2011-12

Tyler Johnson
Cory Conacher
Mark Barbeiro
Richard Panik
Ondrej Palat
Radko Gudas
Alex Killorn
Dustin Tokarski

Grand Rapids 2012-13

Gustav Nyquist
Tomas Tatar
Riley Sheahan
Tomas Jurco
Joakim Anderson
Luke Gendenning
Brandan Smith

Other than maybe.... MAYBE one or two of those guys, are you really trying to pass this list off as something eye opening? Listen, you believe what you want.... I'm not going to jump through hoops to prove something that should be painfully obvious to anyone that knows anything on the subject.

Building a winning team is for the NHL roster. In the AHL, it's waaaaaay down on the list. If you can't comprehend that, that's your problem. Patiently awaiting another list of players that are barely NHL quality or 3rd 4th liners.....

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Seriously..... you should have stopped at Corey Conacher (WHO IS ON THE SOUND TIGERS BY THE WAY) and punched some sense into yourself. Crist almighty..... I've got to take a walk....

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Seriously..... you should have stopped at Corey Conacher (WHO IS ON THE SOUND TIGERS BY THE WAY) and punched some sense into yourself. Crist almighty..... I've got to take a walk....

Conacher is on Utica "by the way" and why all the insults ? State your point and move on ? You feel it doesnt matter if you win, I say you need to create a winning atmosphere to properly develop young players, end of discussion.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
AHL teams need Vets to compete but teams that consistently win year after year have more than others. It's tough to have a competitive team every year in the A because you're always dealing with injuries on both clubs, AHL and NHL. An AHL cub can be depleted by injuries when the NHL club calls up players, not just their own injuries. In the case of BP most of their talented forwards from past seasons have made the jump to the NHL club so their offense has been depleted this season.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
Anybody have an idea of Pulock's stats since he's been back? They don't have game-by-game stats anywhere that I can see.

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
Other than maybe.... MAYBE one or two of those guys, are you really trying to pass this list off as something eye opening? Listen, you believe what you want.... I'm not going to jump through hoops to prove something that should be painfully obvious to anyone that knows anything on the subject.

Building a winning team is for the NHL roster. In the AHL, it's waaaaaay down on the list. If you can't comprehend that, that's your problem. Patiently awaiting another list of players that are barely NHL quality or 3rd 4th liners.....

Hoffman 24-18-42 (as a rookie) so far this season
Johnson 25-40-65 so far this season
Palat 15-37-52 so far this season
Killorn 14-22-36 so far this season
Nyquist 22-26-48 so far this season
Tatar 25-23-48 so far this season

come on man

miscreant

Jul 15, 2005
Anybody have an idea of Pulock's stats since he's been back? They don't have game-by-game stats anywhere that I can see.

10 games: 0 goals, 2 assists, -5, 2PIM
Remarkably, he only has 4 PIM on the season in 39 games.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Hoffman 24-18-42 (as a rookie) so far this season
Johnson 25-40-65 so far this season
Palat 15-37-52 so far this season
Killorn 14-22-36 so far this season
Nyquist 22-26-48 so far this season
Tatar 25-23-48 so far this season

come on man

I'd agree that all of these guys are highly coveted young players, who were developed well. but that's 6 out of three teams, for an average of 2 per team. Islanders had Lee and Strome, both of whom are doing quite well now without sniffing a Calder Cup. Before that, there was Nelson and Niederreiter playing together, didn't win a champsionship, both are doing quite well.

I mean, it would certainly be nice if the BST were dominating, but it's hardly going to ruin players in the meantime. Plus, being OK with being a poor team allows us to give two rookies top minutes in all situations on defense, and that's really the most important thing.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I'd agree that all of these guys are highly coveted young players, who were developed well. but that's 6 out of three teams, for an average of 2 per team. Islanders had Lee and Strome, both of whom are doing quite well now without sniffing a Calder Cup. Before that, there was Nelson and Niederreiter playing together, didn't win a champsionship, both are doing quite well.

I mean, it would certainly be nice if the BST were dominating, but it's hardly going to ruin players in the meantime. Plus, being OK with being a poor team allows us to give two rookies top minutes in all situations on defense, and that's really the most important thing.

Let's not get lost in they must be a Calder Cup team, the original argument is that developing players in a "winning environment". The losing atmosphere and uncompetitive team that this management team has put in Bridgeport is not helping in the development of some very good defensive prospects. That is the only point I am trying to make.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Let's not get lost in they must be a Calder Cup team, the original argument is that developing players in a "winning environment". The losing atmosphere and uncompetitive team that this management team has put in Bridgeport is not helping in the development of some very good defensive prospects. That is the only point I am trying to make.

I think enough points have been raised to prove you are way off base on this. I don't think I can change your mind though and feel you are one of the few people who think this way anyway. I don't think anybody in hockey management has EVER thought "who can we sign on our AHL team for them to be successful (or win the Calder Trophy you are backing off of)" lol. They have made depth signings and so forth, but players are signed with the idea, "who might possibly develop into a serviceable NHL player."

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I think enough points have been raised to prove you are way off base on this. I don't think I can change your mind though and feel you are one of the few people who think this way anyway. I don't think anybody in hockey management has EVER thought "who can we sign on our AHL team for them to be successful (or win the Calder Trophy you are backing off of)" lol. They have made depth signings and so forth, but players are signed with the idea, "who might possibly develop into a serviceable NHL player."

gotta disagree with you. fostering a winning environment at the AHL level is not top priority, but i am certain that it is a consideration.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

So generally what your saying is putting your young developing players into a losing situation is not important to development ?? If you think management doesn't sign players to help the team be competitive then I really don't know what to say :shakehead.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Sometimes the adversity of losing season is a good teaching tool, esp if you are a top prospect that has never experienced it. I wouldn't worry about a few prospects that have been playing in BP being on a losing team. The good ones will learn from it and thrive at the next level.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Sometimes the adversity of losing season is a good teaching tool, esp if you are a top prospect that has never experienced it. I wouldn't worry about a few prospects that have been playing in BP being on a losing team. The good ones will learn from it and thrive at the next level.

Can't disagree with that logic, but I do worry about some losing their confidence. Reinhart looks a bit lost and overwhelmed at times. I'd still take my chances with winning but I see your point. :)

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I think everything stated above has some validity. The biggest key for a top prospect is putting said player in a position to succeed. A great example is if a player is a pure sniper, giving him a good linemate to get him the puck. if a player loves to rush the puck from D giving him a solid stay at home partner to allow him to take those shots. If a goalie is your top prospect put him in position to succeed by giving him a solid team around. Winning is great for confidence as well. Also many teams listed above have a great following and attendance so a winner is important as well.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think everything stated above has some validity. The biggest key for a top prospect is putting said player in a position to succeed. A great example is if a player is a pure sniper, giving him a good linemate to get him the puck. if a player loves to rush the puck from D giving him a solid stay at home partner to allow him to take those shots. If a goalie is your top prospect put him in position to succeed by giving him a solid team around. Winning is great for confidence as well. Also many teams listed above have a great following and attendance so a winner is important as well.

:handclap: Well said "putting them in a position to succeed". You can't just throw players out there and say the good ones will rise to the top.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

The two teams I mentioned finished 28-40-2 and 32-32-7. Not exactly what I'd call winning environments.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The two teams I mentioned finished 28-40-2 and 32-32-7. Not exactly what I'd call winning environments.

I actually find this funny :) I could quite simply say how many players on those two teams didn't make it because of a less than ideal environment ? It is simple you don't think winning matters and I think winning makes a better environment for players to develop, there is always exceptions to the rule. That said I stick by original statement that this teams management has done a poor job in making Bridgeport competitive this year. I feel that this has not been beneficial to many of the teams young prospects, it is never acceptable to simply accept losing. I respect your opinion let's just agree to disagree :)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I actually find this funny :) I could quite simply say how many players on those two teams didn't make it because of a less than ideal environment ? It is simple you don't think winning matters and I think winning makes a better environment for players to develop, there is always exceptions to the rule. That said I stick by original statement that this teams management has done a poor job in making Bridgeport competitive this year. I feel that this has not been beneficial to many of the teams young prospects, it is never acceptable to simply accept losing. I respect your opinion let's just agree to disagree :)

Do you want me to go through every Calder Champ team and look to see if more players became top NHL players or did not? I could, but I'm pretty sure we both know the answers there.

I think playing kids in high responsiblity roles in the AHL is more important than winning in the AHL. Generally, teams that win in the AHL are more veteran heavy, especially on defense. Getting top minutes in all situations to our best prospects in Bridgeport (Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield and Pelech) should be the top priority. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave much room for vet defensemen, and I'd prefer not to bury or trade one of our better prospects to make the room.

The Devils' affiliate missed the playoffs from 2000-2006, and have never been a top team. Would you say Lamoriello doesn't know how to develop prospects?

Don't get me wrong, I would of course prefer that the BST be dominating and winning like crazy over them losing like this. Just not at the cost of having to take icetime away from the kids that matter most.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Saw tonight's Bridgeport game against Springfield, a nice 3-1 win for the Tigers. I had seen a bunch of games earlier in the season but this is my first in the past couple months. Mostly want to talk about the dmen, so here we go:

Pulock and Reinhart provided their usual games tonight, but what I found most intriguing is that Pelech and Mayfield got the heavy minutes (especially on the PK) and tough assignments at even strength. I thought Mayfield played an excellent game and he has really come a long way in the past year or so. He was a force on the penalty kill all night. His physicality is something we all know about, but he made a great stretch pass to hit Langkow in stride for a shorthanded breakaway (which he botched). I thought his decision making was good tonight, he made the simple and safe passes. Seemed to have good chemistry with Pelech who also played a smart, physical style game back there.

Pulock scored a goal off a faceoff. It was a nice 1 timer from center point that he just blew by the goalie. You can see he has the offensive instincts to be a really good contributor on the PP at the NHL level. Defensively I thought he played a solid game.

Reinhart was on the ice for the only goal against. It was a strange play where the puck wound up hitting Czuczman and the puck got lost in a pack of 3 or 4 bodies in the slot. TJ Tynan came in and buried it before a Sound Tiger forward could clear it out. Every time I've seen Reinhart play, he's been playing his off side. He was playing RD tonight and Czuczman was on the left. I didn't see much progression in his game. It's interesting to me that both Pulock and Reinhart are playing the right side. It looks more and more like 1 of those guys will be on the third pairing with the big club next year, while the other (most likely reinhart) gets big minutes in the AHL.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Saw tonight's Bridgeport game against Springfield, a nice 3-1 win for the Tigers. I had seen a bunch of games earlier in the season but this is my first in the past couple months. Mostly want to talk about the dmen, so here we go:

Pulock and Reinhart provided their usual games tonight, but what I found most intriguing is that Pelech and Mayfield got the heavy minutes (especially on the PK) and tough assignments at even strength. I thought Mayfield played an excellent game and he has really come a long way in the past year or so. He was a force on the penalty kill all night. His physicality is something we all know about, but he made a great stretch pass to hit Langkow in stride for a shorthanded breakaway (which he botched). I thought his decision making was good tonight, he made the simple and safe passes. Seemed to have good chemistry with Pelech who also played a smart, physical style game back there.

Pulock scored a goal off a faceoff. It was a nice 1 timer from center point that he just blew by the goalie. You can see he has the offensive instincts to be a really good contributor on the PP at the NHL level. Defensively I thought he played a solid game.

Reinhart was on the ice for the only goal against. It was a strange play where the puck wound up hitting Czuczman and the puck got lost in a pack of 3 or 4 bodies in the slot. TJ Tynan came in and buried it before a Sound Tiger forward could clear it out. Every time I've seen Reinhart play, he's been playing his off side. He was playing RD tonight and Czuczman was on the left. I didn't see much progression in his game. It's interesting to me that both Pulock and Reinhart are playing the right side. It looks more and more like 1 of those guys will be on the third pairing with the big club next year, while the other (most likely reinhart) gets big minutes in the AHL.

Interesting stuff....appreciate the updates.

Can't wait to see these guys take that next step and really round out the lineup

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

sounds like a solid game. good to see. we do have a very young D core in BP, so i was sort of expecting a rough year. saw that Simpson was in net. 32 saves on 33 shots. good to see.

really gotta say that i'm intrigued by playing Reinhart on RD. with Boychuk, Hammer, Mayfield and Pulock already on RD, i am a tad bit confused. the only think i can think, is that they expect/want him to be very versatile. learn both sides, which is very valuable on the PP, as well as when injuries pop up.

Cairnsy? any explanation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad