Friedman: Brandon Saad Possible Trade?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Pittsburgh boy would look great in a Pens uni. I don't see this rumor having legs. That said, if there is some truth, no chance would Cbus trade him to Pittsburgh.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What's going on with Clarkson and his contract? I know it's basically buyout proof, a lot of it is bonuses and not straight salary. Are bonuses covered by insurance?

Maybe moving Clarkson to a team willing to LTIR him and pay out the real cash would be part of the cost of moving Saad.

Double A's alrightttt!!!

That's actually a good proposal. I'd hate to see Saad in a Pens jersey, though.

That is a terrible proposal for Columbus.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
why was he scratched?
He wasn't. But he was about to be before Dubinsky had an injury on game day. The night before Torts called out some vets but didn't say who. But people assumed Saad as he was the goat in overtime. It was his 2nd time being a goat in overtime as well. But in the end Saad wasn't scratched, even when Dubinsky returned.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
What are CBJs wants?

A #1 center is our only real glaring need right now. And even then, Wennberg looks like he's evolving into one.

If Saad were going to Buffalo, Sam Reinhart would have to be on the table. I understand if that's not feasible.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not that I think there is a trade there but Saad would be pretty damn sexy next to Crosby.

Oh, certainly, but let's be realistic. Pittsburgh's not about to trade Crosby; certainly not to a divisional rival. :nod: ;)

* * *​
Maatta for Saad

Even assuming that that's fair and equivalent value (which I by no means agree with) - we've got Werenski, Murray, JJ, and Nutivaara as LHDs right now (JJ's playing on the right as a result). Another one doesn't really help.

* * *​
Giordano and Brouwer for Saad and Johnson

A great 24-year old winger and a good 29-year-old blueliner for an okay 31-year-old winger and a great 33-year-old blueliner? And we take on a bit of additional cap? You're kind of in the neighborhood, but ultimately thanks but no thanks.

* * *​
Barzal and Beauvillier, no?

Probably I should have specified NHL experience as being one of the prerequisites as well. Not that we don't need C prospects (right now it's PLD, Kevin Stenlund, and a handful of AHL lifers), but we'd prefer to get those via means other than a Saad trade.

* * *​
Sounds good, we'll stick with our hot rookie.

Then we have an agreement! Good doing business. :nod:
handshake.gif

;)

* * *​
How about Vatanen + Larsson?

For

Saad 25% retained?

That'd be a "flip 'em for what you REALLY want afterward" type deal from our perspective, and while such a thing could be worthy of consideration with someone as valuable as Vatanen (especially since there's teams out there with extra quality Cs and a need for RHDs - *cough*cough*edmonton*cough*), the salary retention makes it a bit awkward for us.

EDIT: also the fact that we'd be promptly trading a quality RHD to a divisional rival might give Anaheim pause. :D

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We are starting a club. You are welcome to join.
We've got a brand-new Trade Speculation Confusion bandwagon in addition to the standard Holy Crap The Team Might Actually Be Legit bandwagon. Plenty of seats still available on both! Come join us in marveling at Werenski and wondering why the hell folks think we're going to trade Murray! ;)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
We HAVE to trade Saad because we are a cap team and the expansion draft is going to make us fall apart at the seams

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Last time Saad was available, MB had a hard on for saad. If he becomes available once again, i see no way the habs are not the front runners for him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd love Saad on the Sharks. I'd put up someone like Meier and/or begrudgingly Goldobin along with some contracts to make the money work to get him but not sure if Columbus would be interested in that kind of a deal.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
:laugh:

12 pts in 14 games, a beast, and a possession leader. I know 30 clubs that would pay $6m for that. A complementary piece is someone who mostly relies on others. That's not Saad.

And right now he's only 5th in team scoring because the top unit of the powerplay is on fire. But you take Saad out of the lineup and the team looks much weaker 5 on 5. He defines core.

Complementary pieces don't lead their teams in even strength scoring.

Sure, on playoff bubble teams or lottery teams, they do.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He'd look good on Matthews' left wing.

I was thinking JVR for him straight up or a small add because of the age and long term nature of his deal would be perfect for the kids.

Our core would be solid.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh man, he'd be perfect for the Habs but I don't think we're willing to give up the pieces needed to make it work. Easing up the cap crunch makes it seem like it could be picks and higher level prospects (I doubt that alone gets it done), but I still don't know if Bergevin would bite it.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I was thinking JVR for him straight up or a small add because of the age and long term nature of his deal would be perfect for the kids.

Our core would be solid.

I'm hoping this is missing the sarcastic smiling mocking the JVR for insert every player on every team ever proposal.

Also to the Clarkson question he is on LTIR and won't be moved he's likely done for career and has insurance so we are fine.

We aren't trading Saad but if we were it would be for a C and we would NOT be taking back D we are more then set there until after the expansion draft.

The people from TOR it's very unlikely to make a deal unless Mathews Marner or Nylander is on the table. You have exactly 0 pieces of interest including Rielly we would be interested in for Saad.

The MTL fans again is even less likely because you have even less parts we would want. Basically Alexa. Really bad trade partners.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad