Friedman: Brandon Saad Possible Trade?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
RNH qualifies as the sort of guy we'd like to get, but there's two other teams in that deal and I'm not sure they'd be as sanguine about that proposal.

Would you really be willing to trade Saad for RNH?? I'd honestly avoid RNH and think about Drai. RHN is younger Dubi.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
I am going to get kicked hard, but I would consider something around Saad and Sergachev. I am not sure what to add to balance things out...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I am going to get kicked hard, but I would consider something around Saad and Sergachev. I am not sure what to add to balance things out...

^Nothing against him he's a good D prospect but our current team has 5 guys capable of top 3D minutes and play. That leaves our #6 spot which has been held down just fine by Prout who has been an excellent 6 this year and has also been played by Nutivaara who hasn't been great but is still young and getting used to smaller ice.

Basically it starts with Alex G

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
The people from TOR it's very unlikely to make a deal unless Mathews Marner or Nylander is on the table. You have exactly 0 pieces of interest including Rielly we would be interested in for Saad.

Traded to Columbus by Chicago with Michael Paliotta and Alex Broadhurst for Artem Anisimov, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp, Marko Dano and Columbus' 4th round pick

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are better than every one of those players listed.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
^Nothing against him he's a good D prospect but our current team has 5 guys capable of top 3D minutes and play. That leaves our #6 spot which has been held down just fine by Prout who has been an excellent 6 this year and has also been played by Nutivaara who hasn't been great but is still young and getting used to smaller ice.

Basically it starts with Alex G

Which would be the dumbest thing for any one to do.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Traded to Columbus by Chicago with Michael Paliotta and Alex Broadhurst for Artem Anisimov, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp, Marko Dano and Columbus' 4th round pick

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are better than every one of those players listed.
AA has basically disappeared I think he has been held scoreless this year. Also Dano was a stud when we traded him. His value is a lot lower now but he was a huge piece at the time. Saad had to be moved because the couldn't sign him they had literal 0 room. We have him signed along with our core signed with cap to spare right now. They took the best offer available to them. You are using a bad situation to try and judge value and that doesn't work well. RJ Umber Umberger was traded even for Hartnell... does that mean Hartnell is worth a cap dump with tern?

Also Saad has more value now then he did when we got him. Had his highest goal total last year and is signed long term through his prime at a great price.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Which would be the dumbest thing for any one to do.
I agree trading your 1C when you have no replacement for a 1LW it's not smart. That's why I said chances for MTL are extremely unlikely because they have nothing of value to the jackets. Players like patches and weber have much less value to us because we have guys on our team younger we expect to be that good or currently playing that good so it's not worth our 30G 24 year old for any of those even though for other teams they are extremely valued. Our only current need is C and that need is shrinking every game as Wennberg keeps progressing. PLD might be able to make the jump next year or more likely the year after and we are set at C then so we are just lucky to have youth and talent everywhere right now to not need to make moves.

If someone can definitely upgrade our C and it's a no brainer obviously we think about it but right now can you honestly look at our team and how it is producing and say we have a glaring need? I know people like to say we have overpaid old forwards but look at how well Foligno and Hartnell are playing. Dubinski has been dealing with a injury and started slow but is going to be consistent enough going forward as our weakest link.

For anyone looking to trade for Saad look at the current team and production and then our prospects we will plug in if there is an injury and tell us who from your team we could plug in and make us better... if you can do that then we can talk.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm hoping this is missing the sarcastic smiling mocking the JVR for insert every player on every team ever proposal.

Also to the Clarkson question he is on LTIR and won't be moved he's likely done for career and has insurance so we are fine.

We aren't trading Saad but if we were it would be for a C and we would NOT be taking back D we are more then set there until after the expansion draft.

The people from TOR it's very unlikely to make a deal unless Mathews Marner or Nylander is on the table. You have exactly 0 pieces of interest including Rielly we would be interested in for Saad.

The MTL fans again is even less likely because you have even less parts we would want. Basically Alexa. Really bad trade partners.

JVR is a comparable player at 1.75 cheaper for this year and next. Nobody is going to trade you a number 1 C for a winger and while SAAD is a good winger he is second tier like JVR. What I trying to say he is not Ovi or a Perry.

Second, nobody named Matthews, Nylander or Marner will be leaving our team until after they finished their long term contract after their ELC.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I agree trading your 1C when you have no replacement for a 1LW it's not smart. That's why I said chances for MTL are extremely unlikely because they have nothing of value to the jackets. Players like patches and weber have much less value to us because we have guys on our team younger we expect to be that good or currently playing that good so it's not worth our 30G 24 year old for any of those even though for other teams they are extremely valued. Our only current need is C and that need is shrinking every game as Wennberg keeps progressing. PLD might be able to make the jump next year or more likely the year after and we are set at C then so we are just lucky to have youth and talent everywhere right now to not need to make moves.

If someone can definitely upgrade our C and it's a no brainer obviously we think about it but right now can you honestly look at our team and how it is producing and say we have a glaring need? I know people like to say we have overpaid old forwards but look at how well Foligno and Hartnell are playing. Dubinski has been dealing with a injury and started slow but is going to be consistent enough going forward as our weakest link.

For anyone looking to trade for Saad look at the current team and production and then our prospects we will plug in if there is an injury and tell us who from your team we could plug in and make us better... if you can do that then we can talk.

What is your #1 reason for moving him? Salary?

stubbadub

Jul 12, 2009
Nova Scotia
open.spotify.com
AA has basically disappeared I think he has been held scoreless this year. Also Dano was a stud when we traded him. His value is a lot lower now but he was a huge piece at the time. Saad had to be moved because the couldn't sign him they had literal 0 room. We have him signed along with our core signed with cap to spare right now. They took the best offer available to them. You are using a bad situation to try and judge value and that doesn't work well. RJ Umber Umberger was traded even for Hartnell... does that mean Hartnell is worth a cap dump with tern?

Also Saad has more value now then he did when we got him. Had his highest goal total last year and is signed long term through his prime at a great price.

AA has produced more than a point per game this year, however is currently injured. 17pts in 16 games.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

We have no reason to trade him. this is just based on the speculation of a reporter that is very very unlikely to happen. My posts have been if for some unknown reason he is available. If we have a need to move him the only thing we need is same age C.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
AA has produced more than a point per game this year, however is currently injured. 17pts in 16 games.

Damnit I didn't put the sarcasm emoji because I thought it was an obvious haha but that's my point the guy was downplaying what they got and the names aren't superstars but they definitely are valuable.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Damnit I didn't put the sarcasm emoji because I thought it was an obvious haha but that's my point the guy was downplaying what they got and the names aren't superstars but they definitely are valuable.

Artem Anisimov at the time of the trade scored 7 goals over 52 games. The Leafs rookies are going to do that in 20 games this season.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Artem Anisimov at the time of the trade scored 7 goals over 52 games. The Leafs rookies are going to do that in 20 games this season.
How many NHL goals did they have when the trade happened then? Because apparently that's the years stats that matter.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
How many NHL goals did they have when the trade happened then? Because apparently that's the years stats that matter.

Age of the players would be what matters because you're judging production against potential growth and contract value.

I'll give you a hint, the Leaf rookies are a hell of a lot younger and a hell of a lot cheaper than AA when he was traded.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
He'd look good on Matthews' left wing.

Perfect recreation of the Saad-Toews-Hossa line with Saad-Matthews-Nylander. The hawks version was one of the best lines in the NHL for 3 years and I think the leafs version would be up there for a long, long time.

He was the perfect winger on Toews' line. I'm sure a lot of Hawks' fans were ****** when he was traded, but that's the business these guys are in.

The hawks have given up enough good players in cap casualties to field a pretty decent team tbh

Not a chance have you watched Marner?

I'd say its a better idea to move kadri for saad. Saad's a couple years younger, but has a higher cap hit.6 years for Kadri, 5 years for Saad. CBJ wanted a center, and isn't Kadri playing with matthews+nylander so trading him for saad would be pretty decent. Also, bringing in Saad could bring in some of the winning pedigree to help the fearsome threesome of young guns on the leafs. (hawks fan speculating)

Holy **** Flames should be all over this? How about Saad and Johnson for Hamilton, Frolik, and a great prospect? Gaudreau-Monahan-Saad.

Thats absolute **** for CBJ, who wants to clear cap space and that would be a complete lateral move cap wise. Also hasn't Hamilton been mediocre at best since being traded to CGY?

Because being credible is offering JVR in return?

Leafs fans gonna leaf

Back to Chicago would be unreal

See below.

And actually impossible.

I proposed Hamilton and Frolik for Savard and Saad.

Where? cause in the earlier one you said for johnson, and neither are good trades for CBJ

Maatta for Saad

Saad>Maatta

How about Vatanen + Larsson?

For

Saad 25% retained?

CBJ isn't retaining a dime if they trade Saad. First off because they can't afford it, second because they are looking to clear some cap room and that gives them dead cap they can't work with for the next 5 years, and finally because why would a team retain salary on a 24 year old with 5 years left on his contract it just doesn't make sense.

Well, to balance cap out you need to put in ~4.9 million dollars in caphit. So you need to add emelin and another cap dump. Then you need to add in a lot because you are dumping emelin and another cap dump on CBJ andddddd now it's way to unreasonable.

Cap hit. Says that in OP's post.

Seriously though Kadri+ For Saad+ would make to much sense imo.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
Doh, alright. I don't see a path to the Isles then. We would need to shed salary to take him on. He's either 4 or 6 million in cap hit.

6 million in cap hit, and yeah don't see how it would work IMO. If they move saad its for a center and you have no centers (imo) that are in the same value range. Tavares way, way higher then ???. Maybe prospects, but then you get into the cap conundrum and es no bueno senior

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would you really be willing to trade Saad for RNH?? I'd honestly avoid RNH and think about Drai. RHN is younger Dubi.

I definitely would consider it. And of course that's what RNH is, in many ways - and that's a good thing IMO. "More of the same" is not always a bad thing.

I'm not in any rush to make such a trade happen, but I would be comfortable with that outcome.

* * *​
JVR is a comparable player at 1.75 cheaper for this year and next. Nobody is going to trade you a number 1 C for a winger and while SAAD is a good winger he is second tier like JVR. What I trying to say he is not Ovi or a Perry.

JvR is also three years older, and that has a serious impact on our own plans - we want to keep that top-line winger with the rest of our core.

It's not so much a "we think this is a reasonable fair market value ask" as it is "this is the only sort of thing that would justify losing him; otherwise we should just keep him."

* * *​
What is your #1 reason for moving him?

"Don't". ;)

* * *​
I'd say its a better idea to move kadri for saad. Saad's a couple years younger, but has a higher cap hit.6 years for Kadri, 5 years for Saad. CBJ wanted a center, and isn't Kadri playing with matthews+nylander so trading him for saad would be pretty decent. Also, bringing in Saad could bring in some of the winning pedigree to help the fearsome threesome of young guns on the leafs. (hawks fan speculating)

[...]

Seriously though Kadri+ For Saad+ would make to much sense imo.

I'm not as down on Kadri as the average HF poster, but we'd really want to do better. The sort of center we'd be after is one who can credibly take shifts on the top line as needed, and I don't think that describes Kadri.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Saad isn't going anywhere. He's defintely not going to get traded for a center (especially not while Wennberg is battling for the lead in assists) and he's not going to be traded for a Dman. Saad is going to be centered by Wennberg or PLD the next 5 years, why would they give up their 30G scorer with 2 Stanley cups to his name on one of the youngest teams in the league? You surround those young centers with talent on the wings and blue line to make their job as easy as possible.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Age of the players would be what matters because you're judging production against potential growth and contract value.

I'll give you a hint, the Leaf rookies are a hell of a lot younger and a hell of a lot cheaper than AA when he was traded.

So what your saying is let's cherry pick and manipulate every situation possible to make it seem like your guy is worth less and our guys can never be had because leafs.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
So what your saying is let's cherry pick and manipulate every situation possible to make it seem like your guy is worth less and our guys can never be had because leafs.

That's not what I'm saying at all. You're either being intentionally stupid, or... either way, you're on the ignore list now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad