Friedman: Brandon Saad Possible Trade?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm curious as to why he's always the first guy brought up when a team is in a cap crunch. He's a good player.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking if he is moved ,CLB wont take any cap back.So most, that want him will have to pony up. In terms of prospects and picks .So knowing this cap dumps will likely not be involved

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
But the Jackets aren't in a cap crunch anymore.........

I just don't get where Friedman is getting this from. Torts is rolling 4 lines, and the team has had great secondary scoring throughout the lineup to start the year. Only way Saad is moved is if a top line center is coming back.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Thinking if he is moved ,CLB wont take any cap back.So most, that want him will have to pony up. In terms of prospects and picks .So knowing this cap dumps will likely not be involved

8 teams have cap space to do this.
Coyotes
Hurricanes
Ducks
Kings
Wings
Panthers
Devils
Wild

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As an Avs fan, I think he'd be the absolute perfect fit in the Avs top 6 on Mack or Duchene's wing.

Would trade a 1st + for him. He's one of my favorite non Avs players and at 24 still has a lot of good years left in him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Columbus is 8-4-2. They aren't in a position to be trading players for picks and prospects.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
I'm curious as to why he's always the first guy brought up when a team is in a cap crunch. He's a good player.

Because he is a good complementary piece, not a core piece.

But Columbus decided to pay him like a core piece. Buyer's regret.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There isn't a cap crunch.
And if there was Saad would be one of the last to go.
Torts is just pushing Saad to be better (and it's worked).

Friedman messed up here.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
As an Avs fan, I think he'd be the absolute perfect fit in the Avs top 6 on Mack or Duchene's wing.

Would trade a 1st + for him. He's one of my favorite non Avs players and at 24 still has a lot of good years left in him.

With the quality of the Jackets' pipeline, we have no interest in moving him for picks and prospects. If Saad is moved (which I very much doubt he's even available), it'll be for a top center. And I doubt Colorado is willing to move one of MacK or Duchene for him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Because he is a good complementary piece, not a core piece.

But Columbus decided to pay him like a core piece. Buyer's regret.

:laugh:

12 pts in 14 games, a beast, and a possession leader. I know 30 clubs that would pay $6m for that. A complementary piece is someone who mostly relies on others. That's not Saad.

And right now he's only 5th in team scoring because the top unit of the powerplay is on fire. But you take Saad out of the lineup and the team looks much weaker 5 on 5. He defines core.

Complementary pieces don't lead their teams in even strength scoring.

HtG

May 13, 2016
Sleep tight pupper
What a lazy garbage rumor.

* The Jackets aren't sellers

* They don't need cap space, or if they did there are about a million other better ways to get it

* Saad was almost scratched because he wasn't playing up to his potential for parts of a specific overtime, not because the big bad Tortorella is out to get all of the star players

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
What a lazy garbage rumor.

* The Jackets aren't sellers

* They don't need cap space, or if they did there are about a million other better ways to get it

* Saad was almost scratched because he wasn't playing up to his potential for parts of a specific overtime, not because the big bad Tortorella is out to get all of the star players

Pretty much all of this. Thanks for posting!

But I doubt anyone will actually care to read this since most posters on this board are like sharks in blood-filled waters when dumb, uninformed speculation ensues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad