Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Looking forward to seeing Schneider play. I think he's in the long term plans.
I also think sending Nils to Hartford is a positive, for HIM. Big minutes, all situations, I think it's a huge positive, not a punishment.
I mean at this point I see them keeping one of Robertson/Schneider and one of Jones/Nils. (Unless of course they trade for a youngish established D like Chychrun then all bets are off) It will depend on who they target in a trade and what makes the deal work as much as who they like better.

Reactions: egelband

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Rangers are smartly using the covid positives to get a look at potential solutions in HFD, before they look for outside solutions. They know what they have in Tinordi/Hajek/Nemeth (not much), and theyve seen plenty from Nils, who has been fine but needs to play every night. I think its interesting that Jones is still with the NHL team, so maybe he gets another shot. We all want Jones-Schneider, but i dont think we should get our hopes up.

If the 3rd pair is still a problem in a couple weeks, i think they reassess. Their position in the standings has given the luxury to see how things play out.

Well we did see Jones - Nils for one game, so its not out of the realm of possibilty. Nemeth was out at the time but they could have forced Tinordi there. I think we wouldve seen that had it been Quinn. I expect them to go with Nemeth however. But I could see Hajek come back in as well. I do love me some Jones tho

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The worry is that, just like with Nils, putting Schneider with Nemeth is not putting him in a position to succeed.
That's exactly right. Unless Schneider is really effective in making that first pass out of his zone, I don't see how this is going to work any better than with all of the other options that have been tried. Hopefully Schneider is up to the task.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't really understand the timing of this move.

Nils was hardly a needle mover but he wasn't breaking the needle either. I doubt Schneider is going to play any more than Nils was, so the TOI stuff doesn't really come into play here (I know Nils has barely played over the last few weeks, but a good chunk of that is because he got sick.)

Unless they're planning on running Jones-Schneider out there was the bottom pair, I don't really get whats going on here. Nemeth-Schnedier won't work any better than Nemeth-Nils.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
schneider is 6’2 and built like a horse. He’s a big boy who will fill out he’s 20. Plays a heavy game

He plays a heavy game but he's diminutive comparted to guys like Trouba and Miller. He's bigger than Lindgren though, and Ryan never had a problem with his size. I'm always surprised when Schneider's on the ice how small he looks.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He plays a heavy game but he's diminutive comparted to guys like Trouba and Miller. He's bigger than Lindgren though, and Ryan never had a problem with his size. I'm always surprised when Schneider's on the ice how small he looks.

I think thats a posture thing.

Hes listed at 6'2" 202 and I don't know how up to date these numbers are. Trouba is 6'3" 208.

Reactions: Fitzy

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

Nils was hardly a needle mover but he wasn't breaking the needle either. I doubt Schneider is going to play any more than Nils was, so the TOI stuff doesn't really come into play here (I know Nils has barely played over the last few weeks, but a good chunk of that is because he got sick.)

Unless they're planning on running Jones-Schneider out there was the bottom pair, I don't really get whats going on here. Nemeth-Schnedier won't work any better than Nemeth-Nils.

Lundkvist’s game was supposed to be pushing things offensively. He is too small to not be making an impact in that way, because he gets eaten alive physically in his own zone more often than not. As mediocre/bad as Nemeth has been in a 3rd pairing role, I think Lundkvist’s problem is he just isn’t ready to play to his style of game yet here. Hartford should do him some good.

Schneider is much different. He will be a more stay-at-home type who won’t be pushed around like Lundkvist. The strengths of his game are what we need. Even with Nemeth, I would expect Schneider’s game to translate much better at this time than Lundkvist, and elevate that pair.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundkvist’s game was supposed to be pushing things offensively. He is too small to not be making an impact in that way, because he gets eaten alive physically in his own zone more often than not. As mediocre/bad as Nemeth has been in a 3rd pairing role, I think Lundkvist’s problem is he just isn’t ready to play to his style of game yet here. Hartford should do him some good.

Schneider is much different. He will be a more stay-at-home type who won’t be pushed around like Lundkvist. The strengths of his game are what we need. Even with Nemeth, I would expect Schneider’s game to translate much better at this time than Lundkvist, and elevate that pair.

Honestly Lundkvist learning to score and QB a PP in north america in Hartford should be a very good thing for him. There aren't too many offensive defensemen in the NHL who can make a living playing 11 minutes a night. It's just not something you see that often.

If you look at the stats around the NHL, not a single defensemen in the top 45 in scoring plays less than 18 minutes a game. Only 2 of those 45 play less than 20.

Right now, the only smaller less physical PMDs playing 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL right now are Keith Yandle, Adam Boqvist, Brandon Montour, and Chris Wideman.

I'm not saying it has to eventually be top 4 or bust for Jones and Nils, but I think that's worth considering. The NHL likes having the simple, defense first players like McQuaid, Nemeth, etc on the 3rd pairing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I agree with all of this but I don't really get what facilitated this move now.

I have no doubt that Schneider will do a better job handling the heavier side of the game than Nils can, but hes not going to help us where we need help the most which is pushing pucks up ice. Nils wasn't good here either, but I don't know how much better we get here with Schneider. A lot of our issues on both sides of the ice stem from not being good here.

Jones 100000% makes a difference in breakouts/transition/not giving the puck back to the other team, so unless the plan is to pair him and Schneider together, I don't see how this helps.

Really, the only possible solution is to play Jones-Schnedier as a pair and relegate Nemeth to the 7th D. Jones-Nils has been thrown around as a potential pair, but that duo would get feasted on by a line that has even the slightest bit of size and speed.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Feel a little bad for Lunkdvist as I don't believe he did anything egregious enough to be sent down, but also excited to see Schneider. If he sticks Lunkdvist is almost certainly a goner
I think they know what they have in Lundqvist and Jones. Now they need to know what Schneider can do. Once these evaluations are over, the organization will know what to expect in a deal for any of them. I don't think this move tells us anything about future moves other than a promising D will be moved for C help.

Reactions: egelband

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

I have no doubt that Schneider will do a better job handling the heavier side of the game than Nils can, but hes not going to help us where we need help the most which is pushing pucks up ice. Nils wasn't good here either, but I don't know how much better we get here with Schneider. A lot of our issues on both sides of the ice stem from not being good here.

Jones 100000% makes a difference in breakouts/transition/not giving the puck back to the other team, so unless the plan is to pair him and Schneider together, I don't see how this helps.

Really, the only possible solution is to play Jones-Schnedier as a pair and relegate Nemeth to the 7th D. Jones-Nils has been thrown around as a potential pair, but that duo would get feasted on by a line that has even the slightest bit of size and speed.

I doubt they just decided to do it out of the blue. Both Lundkvist and Schneider were decent in camp. I actually thought Schneider was better. Now it has been half a season. Lundkvist has had 25 games. Maybe the plan all along was if they’ll give it 2-3 months and re-evaluate what was a close battle in camp. On top of that, none of the 3rd pairing combinations have been any good. Schenider has performed well in Hartford. The list of reasons not to make the switch looks shorter than to make it.

Definitely agree that Jones/Schneider is far and away the ideal pairing to make here though.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

As Larry said in his article last night, Gallant has an ideal playstyle for his bottom pairing, which is in the mould of Tinordi-Nemeth. That is why Schneider is up and Jones isn't playing. He wants big, safe, stay at home defenseman. Schneider should be more effective though in making things happen with the puck though so hopefully he sticks.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The worry is that, just like with Nils, putting Schneider with Nemeth is not putting him in a position to succeed.
Agree with this. Nemeth was a terrible signing and every Avs fan I read was saying so. He and Tinordi are an anchor on anyone they play with including Hajek who can skate and move the puck.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
As Larry said in his article last night, Gallant has an ideal playstyle for his bottom pairing, which is in the mould of Tinordi-Nemeth. That is why Schneider is up and Jones isn't playing. He wants big, safe, stay at home defenseman. Schneider should be more effective though in making things happen with the puck though so hopefully he sticks.
This is stupid. Every player if possible should be able to defend and move the puck. Why settle for slow, stay at home anchors when you have better options in the system? If this is how Turk thinks he needs to raise his expectations for all 6 of his D.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

Nils does not get eaten alive. He's stronger than he looks and like Fox, he knows how to gain leverage to avoid being dominated physically. This narrative is way too prevalent and false.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Is being 2 inches shorter than Miller and 1 inch shorter than Trouba really diminutive?

Hockeydb heights:

Schneider - 188cm
Trouba - 191cm
Miller - 193cm

It’s not like Miller’s 6’5” while Schneider’s 6’.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Gallant loves his steady (ahem) vets so there is no scenario where I see him trying two veey young rookie D men together on the 3rd pairing.

What I think, and hope, management are doing is they are rotating the kids to see what they have in them. Gallant and Drury aren't the most intuitive types, they want to get their own sense and feel for what is going on directly. Hopefully it's a precursor to some smart moves, over the next six months, to balance the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad