Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I would honestly much rather have Schneider stretching his legs out in the AHL than with the big club. We already know he can snuff out cycles and make a decent first pass, but why not let him log big minutes and refine the other aspects of his game. If he adds the ability and confidence to occasionally make a big offensive play to his “set it and forget it” style of defending, you’ve hit pay dirt.

You've already given every reason for him to make the big team.
Why should he be in the AHL?

Reactions: Narcissus

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Schneider's game reminds me of Girardi before he fell apart. Barring a rash of injuries, he will spend a year in the A, then have a chance to beat out Nemeth for a spot in the top 6 D in training camp

Much better at everything, i think for some reason people are painting Schneider with the "big defenseman" brush when thate not his whole game. He skates well, moves the puck well, ran the #1 pp unit on his team and is smart to boot. Girardi was a warrior who was all defense and shot blocking

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Much better at everything, i think for some reason people are painting Schneider with the "big defenseman" brush when thate not his whole game. He skates well, moves the puck well, ran the #1 pp unit on his team and is smart to boot. Girardi was a warrior who was all defense and shot blocking

Yeah, Girardi never tried to initiate a rush from the back end to push for offense like Schneider has already shown to do.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think in terms of modern game, parayko (before he dropped off last year) is the best comparison.
He's got almost all elite tools. He can skate, carry, defensive positioning, and has some nasty.
For all the complaints about us drafting him it gives us a major luxury in a year or two.

As soon as trouba's NMC/NTC expires i think we move him and schneider slides right in there and we dont miss a thing while opening up a ton of cap room.

Reactions: dshea19

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
EliteProspects article NOT behind paywall

New York Rangers are banking on Braden Schneider and Nils Lundkvist long-term

New York Rangers are banking on Braden Schneider and Nils Lundkvist long-term - EP Rinkside

NHL teams are always looking for a right-shot defenceman. The New York Rangers already have a Norris Trophy-calibre one in Adam Fox, and soon they will be adding Nils Lundkvist and Braden Schneider, both are right-handed as well....

... This talented Swede has a knack for holding on to the puck to make the right play. He’s patient ...

...Schneider is known for his punishing hits and solid defence. Even though he’s 6-2, 202 pounds, he's only 20 years old so his man-strength isn’t quite there yet. He’s a massive competitor, and that can get him far even this season...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lundkvist down. Schneider up.

No issue with Lundkvist getting some top pair minutes in the A. He needs work. Felt Jones was the better option since camp. Glad management isn't blind to the issue.

As for Schneider, I guess we're about to see whether he's ready--seems fast no?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lundkvist down. Schneider up.

No issue with Lundkvist getting some top pair minutes in the A. He needs work. Felt Jones was the better option since camp. Glad management isn't blind to the issue.

As for Schneider, I guess we're about to see whether he's ready--seems fast no?

Think the callup is just his "cup of coffee" at the NHL level. Probably want to just gauge where he is at and also give him a chance to prove himself at the NHL level. I expect him to get sent back down in a few games unless he really shocks everyone.

Either way, I'm excited to see him wearing the Ranger blue and watch him throw a few bone-crunching hits!

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've always gotten McDonagh vibes from Schneider, where he elevates his game against superior competition. I don't think it would be shocking if he played really well right out of the gate and stuck. He's also perfect for a Turk-coached team and with the identity the team is trying to forge.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Hope this kid doesn't let them send him back to the AHL. I think if he proves he should stay it would allow the Rangers to feel comfortable not forcing Tinordi, Hajek, and maybe even Nemeth into the lineup

Reactions: Number 9

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Hope this kid doesn't let them send him back to the AHL. I think if he proves he should stay it would allow the Rangers to feel comfortable not forcing Tinordi, Hajek, and maybe even Nemeth into the lineup
Nemeth will never sit. They love the guy.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Time for Schneider to make his mark. Not expecting anything fox like. Be mobile, move to puck well, take the body, and hopefully help out on the Pk.
Just play between 10-13 min a night of solid hockey and be like a sponge and learn as much as possible from Trouba/Fox/ and Lindgren.
I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Schneider doesn’t give up that spot for the rest of the season..... take it to the bank

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad